RapidComposer v4 beta feedback and discussion (locked)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

RapidComposer v4.4b8 is available!

So that you don't get bored while the MIDI manipulator is being developed (I advance pretty well with it...) here is a new beta version with pedal tone chord suggestions.

Improvements:
  • New chord suggestion that looks up chords with the same bass note: Bass pedal tone chords
  • New chord suggestion that looks up chords with the specified melody note: Melody pedal tone chords
  • 'Scale Degrees' received a note filter where you can filter the displayed chords by notes (e.g. when using a melody pedal tone)
  • 'Past states to store' option added in the auto-generation dialog
  • New setting: Load 'default.rcCOMP' for 'New Composition'. The file should be placed in Documents/RapidComposerV4
  • The piano keyboard can be removed from the tracks ('Show keyboard' in the menu)
  • Small UI cleanup in Quick Suggestions
  • Fixed: pop-up help stopped working after opening a pop-up menu
  • Minor fixes for chord rules (sometimes it was not possible to set for the composition)
More about pedal tones in this video:
https://youtu.be/5E4Nsa6RL9I
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hello Attila! Thanks for the new beta. But I'm still very interested in why autogeneration does not work with the Percussion Generator? It's like it's meant to work..

Hi lulukom,

why do you think it does not work? Did you highlight the 'regenerate' button?

You just need to set up a loop. At the end of the loop the required phrases are regenerated.
It respects the 'lock' so certain percussion notes can be left unchanged.

Thanks,
Attila
lulukom wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:05 pm Hello Attila! Thanks for the new beta. But I'm still very interested in why autogeneration does not work with the Percussion Generator? It's like it's meant to work..

Attila, I've attached a file with a composition that has two drum tracks. One works well with the generator (and this can be seen even visually), the second does not work with the generator. I want to note that on the first track the phrase was transferred from the generator, and on the second track it was dragged as a midi file and converted into a percussion generator. all drum midi files dragged and converted into a percussion generator do not work for me. What could be the reason ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi. Thanks for v4.4b8 !

Could someone kindly say where the new pedal tone chord suggestions are found?

Please, Attila, make the very simple thing – the ability of using custom texts across note strips not only in the drum track mode, but in the keyboard mode, too. It will be very useful for vsti expression switches. Now it's rather hard to remember, which expression corresponds to this piano key and vice versa.

It is in the Quick Suggestion popup. You have to enable showing these suggestions in the top right menu:

Chords that must contain a specific note can be shown here if you enable the note filter:

sj1 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:04 pm Hi. Thanks for v4.4b8 !

Could someone kindly say where the new pedal tone chord suggestions are found?

Hi lulukom,

if you use "Manual Editing", the notes won't change:

Please select a rhythm generator.
Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:41 am It is in the Quick Suggestion popup. You have to enable showing these suggestions in the top right menu:
Excellent, thank you.

I think the new Pedal Tone options are a great addition!
I also much like the 'Nth inversion' labels, as knowing that is very helpful if you have a sense of those sounds (or are out to acquire that)

I notice that the Tonnetz and the Chord Selector can be dragged to a desired location allowing us to see the relevant area of the composition change while we use them.

The Quick Suggestions window (where the new stuff is!) does not seem to have this ability. Perhaps that would be possible at a future point.

I think it would be great to be able to use the Dice to generate a sequence of chords constrained using Pedal Tones. (IOW, keep the same pedal for the selected # of measures.)

I guess that would be approached by having one or more new option lines in the Master Track Inspector (ala 'Connect to Previous Chord' etc.)
Last edited by sj1 on Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When using the new Pedal operations, I'm hearing the results jump around as I select chords along either of the pedal rows. IOW, I'm not hearing, say, a consistent drone bass note or a consistent drone melody note.

This seems contrary to what I naturally am inclined to expect here. Is it intentional?

Hi Steve,
both suggestions are great! You certainly keep me busy :)
Yes, you are right, the voicing is not applied to the master track chord. I'll have a fix shortly.
Thanks,
Attila

I know that it is not very pleasant when you are distracted from the creative process, but I have to do this))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You rock Attila! RC just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks for being open to our various feedbacks and suggestions, and for all of the new ideas and continuing efforts you bring to the development of Rapid Composer!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”