Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

A very unhappy Roland customer here. Purchased lifetime license on Sound Canvas VA only to find out that I have to reactivate every month otherwise it stops working. Sound Canvas is old stuff, has been around for ages, why is this excessive protection? A similar (actually better) plugin from Yamaha is free. Won't go anywhere near Roland Cloud any more.

chroma wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:46 pm After the last update, several of the synths got way more usable on M1 - I tried system8 and Jupiter 8 last night, no more crackles at a reasonable 128 samples….
They no longer just max out a core as soon as you load them?

beely wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:20 pm
chroma wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:46 pm After the last update, several of the synths got way more usable on M1 - I tried system8 and Jupiter 8 last night, no more crackles at a reasonable 128 samples….
No more max cpu! Only the AU are native though afaik, I didn’t try vst (I tried AU under live 11…)

picman wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:12 pm A very unhappy Roland customer here. Purchased lifetime license on Sound Canvas VA only to find out that I have to reactivate every month otherwise it stops working.
It has been basically that way for years. It used to need activation every week or two but they changed so its every 4 weeks.

picman wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:12 pm A very unhappy Roland customer here. Purchased lifetime license on Sound Canvas VA only to find out that I have to reactivate every month otherwise it stops working. Sound Canvas is old stuff, has been around for ages, why is this excessive protection? A similar (actually better) plugin from Yamaha is free. Won't go anywhere near Roland Cloud any more.
Hi there, could you point us to a similar plug from yamaha that is free? I can't find any?

surreal wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:06 pm
picman wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:12 pm A very unhappy Roland customer here. Purchased lifetime license on Sound Canvas VA only to find out that I have to reactivate every month otherwise it stops working. Sound Canvas is old stuff, has been around for ages, why is this excessive protection? A similar (actually better) plugin from Yamaha is free. Won't go anywhere near Roland Cloud any more.
Hi there, could you point us to a similar plug from yamaha that is free? I can't find any?
It is old, but I like it:
https://archive.org/details/yamaha_syxg50_vsti
There is also an editor for it called XGWorks, but I am writing my own instead, just for fun.

Ha I still have my old DB-50XG daughterboard attached to a Soundblaster AWE-32. Great in their day.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

picman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:30 pm
surreal wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:06 pm
It is old, but I like it:
https://archive.org/details/yamaha_syxg50_vsti
There is also an editor for it called XGWorks, but I am writing my own instead, just for fun.
Thank you very much

Examigan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:07 pm
picman wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:12 pm A very unhappy Roland customer here. Purchased lifetime license on Sound Canvas VA only to find out that I have to reactivate every month otherwise it stops working.
It has been basically that way for years. It used to need activation every week or two but they changed so its every 4 weeks.
Hi, friends! Brian from Roland Cloud here. There will be a change to Sound Canvas VA coming that will alleviate this issue. Picman, I'll reach out to take care of you as the release gets closer. Thanks!

Brian.McClelland wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:00 pm
Hi, friends! Brian from Roland Cloud here. There will be a change to Sound Canvas VA coming that will alleviate this issue. Picman, I'll reach out to take care of you as the release gets closer. Thanks!
Thanks Brian, I look forward to it.

beely wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:20 pm
Logic still has this because of Live Input mode, but you can do what I did and write a customized Objective-C MIDIFX plug-in and go from single high core to multi-core for any AU Instrument.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alpky5zd6Q0

Brian.McClelland wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:00 pm
Why not change it for the rest of the Cloud instruments too?

Any new instruments coming soon?

Got to assume the Juno 60 Model Expansion will turn up for Zenology, but how about the rumoured JX8P Legendary model?

ValliSoftware wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:59 pm Logic still has this because of Live Input mode, but you can do what I did and write a customized Objective-C MIDIFX plug-in and go from single high core to multi-core for any AU Instrument.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alpky5zd6Q0
It's not Live mode that's the problem, it was that the Roland ACB plugin were horrendously optimised for M1 (reportedly they are better now, but I haven't checked yet, I'm waiting for a bit more user feedback before I burn a months' subscription to find out nothing's changed...).

They should take about 30% of a core, compared to their performance on my old Intel Mac, but instead, they required more than a single M1 core could handle, which is clearly bad, unoptimised code, not a Logic problem. Let's hope they fixed it now...

I'll check out your workaround, but splitting a poorly coded plugin across multiple cores just so you can use it is still a poor solution, it's just super wasteful of CPU cycles...

Edit: Neat MIDI plug - very cool: What's your plugin doing - I guess you're directly outputting the incoming MIDI data on the selected channel back out through a custom virtual MIDI port (or IAC) back into Logic, and then that incoming MIDI from that port is cabled to the channel strips directly?

(Or can you use the new MIDI input options per track in 10.7.x directly and avoid any direct environment routing? - which would be the cleaner option...)

Do you get higher latency with your method over conventional single core live mode (which is apparently optimised for real time performance) ? What's the timing difference you see?

Does anybody know if there's a way to shut off the constant notifications coming from the Roland Cloud Manager? I assume that there's not, because I don't see any settings or options within the app itself.

It's telling me practically daily that I have updates, so I'll open the app and check and nope, nothing there for anything that I own, so I just close it and I get back to whatever else I was doing.

All of my Roland Cloud stuff is up to date, so I know when the app keeps letting me know that there's an update, I know that it's bogus most of the time.

I'd rather check manually once a month or something for updates instead of having bogus notifications coming from the app practically daily.

Return to “Instruments”