Cherry Audio Releases MINIVERSE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Miniverse

Teksonik wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:04 pm That's just the problem, it's not crisp and sharp. It's not about whether it looks like a MiniMoog or not but the quality of the graphics.
I see. The other Cherry synths all seem crisp and sharp to me, so I find it odd that this one would be different from their other offerings, but I do clearly see the difference in those images you posted.

I'll be downloading this synth eventually, just to see how it looks on my system.

I wonder if this could be a case of it looking not sharp or clear on certain systems/configs? I know in the past that some people have complained about certain plugins not looking sharp on their systems (from various companies, not just Cherry), while the same plugin was sharp and looking ok on other people's system.

Perhaps that has something to do with OS and graphics cards and Open CL enabled/disabled etc? Or maybe there is genuinely something strange with the graphics or coding?

Within the next few days, if I get a chance to install it, I'll report back after I see how it looks on my system when I can see it with my own eyes on my own monitor.

I just installed it, to see what it looks like.

I'm on a 4k monitor, and even when I massively zoom in, it's looking sharp to me. I have a suspicion that people's mileage may vary based on their system/OS/config/setup.This screenshot I took here is taking up the entire screen space of my monitor.

Here is a picture I took with my phone, to show how it looks on my 27" 4K monitor.

As you can see I have massively zoomed in and each knob is huge, but everything is looking sharp to me even at that extreme zoom level.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm I wonder if this could be a case of it looking not sharp or clear on certain systems/configs? I know in the past that some people have complained about certain plugins not looking sharp on their systems (from various companies, not just Cherry), while the same plugin was sharp and looking ok on other people's system.
Perhaps that has something to do with OS and graphics cards and Open CL enabled/disabled etc? Or maybe there is genuinely something strange with the graphics or coding?
Well since other synths like The Legend and Spire are razor sharp high quality on the same systems one can assume it's not the system specs.

I'm running everything at 1920x1080 and like I said other synths such as LuSH101,DUNE 3,etc and effects like TRacks and PA plugins like the Amek 9099 are exceptionally high quality at various sizes.

Again I acknowledge that MiniMode a $39 plugin so maybe one of the ways they keep costs down is the GUI quality.

If this offering blew me away with sound quality I would buy it despite the GUI but certainly not because of it.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:56 pm Here is a picture I took with my phone, to show how it looks on my 27" 4K monitor.

As you can see I have massively zoomed in and each knob is huge, but everything is looking sharp to me even at that extreme zoom level.

Again look at the knobs. It's not about sharpness alone but the quality of the graphics themselves. The knobs are of poor quality and the pointer is hard to pick up compared to knobs on other synths.

But to each his own. If you like it then by all means buy it. All I can say is if CA upped their GUI game I probably would have purchased more of them as impulse buys since they are always low cost.

I do have their DCO-106 and it's not too bad but still not the same quality as other synths I own...on the same system. I sold their Oberheim tribute because I simply found the gui unpleasant to work with. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:32 pm If you like it then by all means buy it.
I probably wont be buying this one, but not because of anything to do with the GUI or even the sound, as I haven't even heard the sound. I just simply have plenty of minimoogs from before, that would be the main reason.

Now, the next time they release something that is rare, that I remember from back in the day, and that I don't already have from before, then that I will almost certainly buy, as I have most of their other synths.

Fair enough. If they release something that blows me away I'll buy it no matter the GUI but this one just didn't do much for me sound wise.

Not a bad synth but didn't raise the bar over what I already have.

Vortifex wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:18 pm The GUI on Minimode looks fine to me. Where they went wrong IMO was with synths that have a lot of controls, like Polymode, Eight Voice and Dream Synth, cramming a lot into the screen and relying on that clunky zoom feature instead of using tabs.
I have often read that some users hate tabs and want to see everything on one window.

You can please some of the people some of the time. :)

To me the CA synth GUIs looks unbalanced - some items are two big, some are too small. I often reduce the GUI window to get it to a "reasonable" size then some items (the tool bar up the top, knob annotation, the text in the preset browser and in the pop-ups when you hover over a control) are too small. And purple text on dark grey??? I do not need 100% visual accuracy when compared with the hardware; I just need stuff I can read. I have passed this to CA and suggested that they implement a minimum size for the tool-bar and the text.

PS I have transcribed the online user manuals into PDFs:
https://cherryaudio.kayako.com/article/ ... umentation
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

The graphics are sharp as a tack. I suspect your issue is you want more contrast on the knobs.

Also, if you're on 1920x1080, perhaps it's an issue with non-HiDPI, i.e., a difference in aliasing. I'm on a Mac on a 4K or the retina display.

teilo wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:47 am Also, if you're on 1920x1080, perhaps it's an issue with non-HiDPI, i.e., a difference in aliasing. I'm on a Mac on a 4K or the retina display.
Absolutely everything would look bad to me on a 1920x1080 display these days. I would never be able to go back to that rez again.

Even tiny phones these days have a higher rez than 1920x1080.

But I do think that you might be on to something with the issue possibly having something to do with non-hi res displays.

its not about whether its sharp or not smh.....Its about design, and attention to detail.

vertibration wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:49 am its not about whether its sharp or not smh.....Its about design, and attention to detail.
I don't remember who it was, but a few comments about it not being sharp were made in this thread, so it seems like there were two different categories of objections to the GUI.

(1) is a technical issue if the plugin is not displaying correctly or sharp on their display.

(2) is a design/personal preference issue and everybody has their own preferences and ideas for what they consider to be good design.

I'm not defending the design, and I'm not saying that it couldn't be better, I'm just saying that I don't find it to be terrible. But what I think doesn't even matter, as I'll probably be passing on this synth, as I wrote earlier.

When it comes to design, I'm not a big fan of the flat design that I see certain companies have, and I usually stay away from most of those sorts of plugins. I do know that there are those people that love the flat design, so it's good that there are plenty of plugins out there to choose from and everybody can end up happy and buy exactly what they want.

vertibration wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:49 am its not about whether its sharp or not smh.....Its about design, and attention to detail.
Why would you shake your head?

It is clearly about the sharpness for some people, like this poster who wrote this on the previous page:

Teksonik - That's just the problem, it's not crisp and sharp.

You contradicted yourself there

Return to “Instruments”