Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

CrystalWizard wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:39 pm Haha for now, just gimme a couple of years to organize!
That's what NI said :lol:
More BPM please

I'm not interested in your wallet though.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Anybody else having problems with massive x and sustain pedal?

Here it looks like a note on - off problem when a note is repeated in the same pedal.
For instance.

Press sustain pedal
Play C4 E4 G4 C4
(keep finger on last C4)
release pedal but keep finger on C4

The C4 should keep sounding but does stop with the pedal release.
Maybe a note on note off that is not remembered when the same note is repeated in the pedal?

Kind regards,

Johan

Unfortunately, there is still no preset browsing possible in the new browser using keyboard arrow keys. The need to double click to load the preset makes it even worse. :(

I hope they implement presets browsing with arrow keys AND either load the preset on single click/selection OR make use of enter key to load the selected sample.

I think there also should be arrows to scroll through the presets pages. Having only the scroll wheel to do that is annoying

(aside that, I think that's a promissing update. Albeit slowly, things are finally improving)

My feedback on MX 1.4 so far:
+:
1. User presets are no longer rescanned which dramatically reduces the plugin loading time.
2. Presets marked as favourites in KK browser are also marked as favourites in MX browser.
3. I like the browser looks.

0:
I don't have an opinion about the Bass Enhancer yet. Need to judge it with actual work, see how it sits in mixes.

-:
1. SVF LP4 aliases quite badly. Other filters in MX don't, or at least they don't do it so much in your face. This is something I totally didn't expect from Massive X, given how good other modules are. Have the DSP engineers changed in the mean time?
2. Unlike other MX filters, SVF LP4 sound is actually quite flat and lacks soul. No ideas why they even decided to add it. In almost all of those few new presets that actually utilise SVF LP4, I found that replacing it with Asimov LP4 makes it generally sound better, punchier, juicier, without affecting the nature of the sound at the same time.
3. SVF LP4 mode shouldn't be set as default since AFAIK SVF by the very definition is not LP4.
4. QuickStart presets are very hard to find in the new browser - would make a lot more sense to make another Init drop-down list maybe. Also, why are they not in the KK browser?
5. Need to double-click on a preset to load it. The double click makes sense for the browser in the side bar, given it has properties to show/edit or a sound to preview. But for a "drop-down list" behaviour, this is unexpected and quite honestly unwanted IMHO.
6. User icon of the browser is inconvenient. It's way too far from the categories and bank selection which involves a lot of unwanted mouse movements. Same for "Favourites" - it should be next to the filter results, not in the search field. Also if smth is typed, the search reset button X becomes way to close to the User icon, so it's easy to press accidentally and reset the filters instead of changing User/Factory categories.

Older but still very annoying:
7. Bug where macro names are occasionally not propagated to KK keyboard when loading presets is still not fixed.
8. It's still impossible to copy-paste properties from one module to another, e.g. OSC1 to OSC2, FX A to FX B, GFX X to GFX Y. Is it that hard to implement? UX: right-click on the module A name, choose copy from context menu, right-click on the module B name, choose paste from context menu. Maybe also add reset/init item in the same context menu.
9. As mentioned by pretty much every one, still impossible to create user banks.
10. In the Routing section, module inputs, unlike module outputs, don't have the increased click area around, so it's very hard to edit the routing. Perhaps it'd also be nice if double-click on the tap would delete all its existing connections. Right now you can only double-click the module itself to clear both input and output connections which could be too much depending on the use case.

Overall, I still love the synth to pieces and hope it gets all the polishing it so deserves, but not more than really necessary. I really hope NI don't go the route of bringing more questionable modules purely for the sake of more modules.

soulelle wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:44 pm 1. SVF LP4 aliases quite badly. Other filters in MX don't, or at least they don't do it so much in your face. This is something I totally didn't expect from Massive X, given how good other modules are. Have the DSP engineers changed in the mean time?
I hope you are able to distinguish between aliasing and saturation.

The guy who claimed that Massive X aliases in general clearly wasn't, because, when you take the filter out of the equation (you can completely turn it off), there isn't anything out of the norm up to -90 or -100 dB.

I'll have a look, but, I wouldn't be surprised if the aliasing once again turns out to be no aliasing. At the very least, I can assure you that the guys developing such soft synths aren't exactly uneducated when it comes to basic DSP.

BTW, would be good if you posted your other findngs in NI's forums: https://community.native-instruments.co ... e-x-synths

I think you'll have a better chance to reach the right channels there.

soulelle wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:44 pm My feedback on MX 1.4 so far:
Any efficiency improvement ?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 pm Unfortunately, there is still no preset browsing possible in the new browser using keyboard arrow keys. The need to double click to load the preset makes it even worse. :(

I hope they implement presets browsing with arrow keys AND either load the preset on single click/selection OR make use of enter key to load the selected sample.
Cannot imagine why they would have implemented preset selection and loading in Massive X 1.4 this way ... unless they borrowed the code from Komplete Kontrol.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Hi several questions for soulelle.

you have new factory presets that use SVF LP4?

The latest that are tagged in my system are from Massive 1.3 (SVF LP4 came in with 1.4).
Also by default filter, I assume you mean what is in the INit Massive X Default Patch.. on mine that is the Asimov LP4..

How are you getting the SVF LP4 to alias... you hear it aliasing?

(It is possible that you may have an newer version than me, let me reinstall from NA edit: just did and I don't see any new tagged 1.4 patches.).

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sun May 08, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

zzz00m wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:21 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 pm Unfortunately, there is still no preset browsing possible in the new browser using keyboard arrow keys. The need to double click to load the preset makes it even worse. :(

Cannot imagine why they would have implemented preset selection and loading in Massive X 1.4 this way ... unless they borrowed the code from Komplete Kontrol.
But then why the browser? We have been using Komplete Kontrol to use Massive X mainly because of lack of a better browser and with this new browser I thought we could load Massive X separately, but unfortunately, the preset navigation is still isn't there. Guess I will need to continue using it from within KK. The new browser looks beautiful and has some good tags, favoriting and stuff, but the usability is still not as expected.

And even in KK, there is no "enter" to load preset. Fortunately though, it's not a problem as I have mapped the previous and next preset parameters to buttons on my MIDI keyboard. If this was possible with Massive X separately, it would have been great.

zvenx wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:36 pm Hi several questions for soulelle.

The latest that are tagged in my system are from Massive 1.3 (SVF LP4 came in with 1.4).
Also by default filter, I assume you mean what is in the INit Massive X Default Patch.. on mine that is the Asimov LP4..

How are you getting the SVF LP4 to alias... you hear it aliasing?

(It is possible that you may have an newer version than me, let me reinstall from NA edit: just did and I don't see any new tagged 1.4 patches.).

rsp
Ahh Just read that the three new expansions do need 1.4 so maybe some of them do use the new filter.
rsp
sound sculptist

they are not exactly factory, they come with the new sound packs:
Beam has 2 presets with SVF LP4, Bump has 2, Charge has ~10 (or a bit more)
zvenx wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:36 pm Also by default filter, I assume you mean what is in the INit Massive X Default Patch.. on mine that is the Asimov LP4..
I meant the default mode of the SVF:
1. Load the Init patch
2. Switch Asimov to SVF
-> you get SVF LP4 instead of SVF LP2
zvenx wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:36 pmHow are you getting the SVF LP4 to alias... you hear it aliasing?
Yes
https://mega.nz/file/SMQ2SLwD#jGzi5ZcDT ... IUXZBrlsXw

Or simply:
1. Load Init patch.
2. Set filter to SVF LP4.
3. Set resonance to the highest value.
4. Enable reso boost.
5. Dial Feedback to 50%.
-> At this point you should be able to hear it quite well, but feel free to turn the Cutoff Filter knob within 20-28KHz a bit to make it really obvious.
You can mute the OSC at this point to listen to the aliased self-resonating peak only.
The filter output clips badly in this case and probably that results in a lot of aliasing or something that sounds very much like aliasing/non-harmonic partials.
Last edited by soulelle on Sun May 08, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think all of the filters switch to the top 1 by default no?
rsp
sound sculptist

soulelle wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:13 pm
they are not exactly factory, they come with the new sound packs:
Beam has 2 presets with SVF LP4, Bump has 2, Charge has ~10 (or a bit more)
zvenx wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:36 pm Also by default filter, I assume you mean what is in the INit Massive X Default Patch.. on mine that is the Asimov LP4..
I meant the default mode of the SVF:
1. Load the Init patch
2. Switch Asimov to SVF
-> you get SVF LP4 instead of SVF LP2
zvenx wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:36 pmHow are you getting the SVF LP4 to alias... you hear it aliasing?
Yes
https://mega.nz/file/SMQ2SLwD#jGzi5ZcDT ... IUXZBrlsXw

Or simply:
1. Load Init patch.
2. Set filter to SVF LP4.
3. Set resonance to the highest value.
4. Enable reso boost.
5. Dial Feedback to 50%.
-> At this point you should be able to hear it quite well, but feel free to turn the Cutoff Filter knob within 20-28KHz a bit to make it really obvious.
You can mute the OSC at this point to listen to the aliased self-resonating peak only.
The filter output clips badly in this case and probably that results in a lot of aliasing or something that sounds very much like aliasing/non-harmonic partials.
Thanks for the filter example.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”