Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

It definitely looks more modern. But as a child that knew of DOS, TC's similarity to Norton Commander is hard to shake off.

That said, I actually use the "beefed up" version, Total Commander Ultima Prime. It's nice, portable and has a bunch of useful tools. You can basically install Windows and TCUP and have pretty much everything you need.

NC... it was the most hated software in my school :) But it was the best thing ever all those times when I bricked Windows, partitioning system and whatever could be tweaked and was accessible to the user :D

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:45 am Total Commander for the win, as far as I'm concerned. :)
I bought a license so long ago, that ghisler sent me a 3,5” diskette via mail. Still using it today at version 10 👍
void main(dumb)

They could release 2.0 with every single thing someone wanted and people would still complain. Sheesh. Be happy they're still releasing updates people.

Word.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:23 am
EvilDragon wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:34 pm It's not that they "can't" do it (because it's possible with both Kontakt and Reaktor, and Ashlight actually does support MPE), at all. As far as I can tell (and this is just my own personal guess), it's probably because it's considered a niche feature still, especially considering the majority of userbase NI is targetting.
Sure, I should have said, “won’t do it.”

Again, it points to what Native Instruments has become. When I bought my first plugin instrument, it was Absynth. I instantly fell in love with it. Everything about the interface was so crazy, like something from Farscape (an old 90s sci-fi show) and that’s how it sounded too. I remember they sent me a “Future Of Sound” tee shirt… good times. I think I still have it.

Now I think of them as the past of sound. Massive X has some great stuff about it, but it also seems way behind in many ways. I have nothing to really be critical about when it comes to the sound. Top notch, for sure. But the rest of the synth… still seems like it’s got a way to go. I get that MPE is a niche, but part of looking to the future is realizing that “if you build it, they will come.” Arturia included it in their new V Collection synths. Hell, Native Instruments doesn’t even recognize polyphonic aftertouch, part of the original MIDI spec. As my friend Cartman would say, “lame.”
Massive supports Poly AT. Massive X doesn't. So NI has supported it before. Massive X is a big step back in a bunch of ways. That is not the future.

Plasmonic (from Brian Clevinger, the original creator of Absynth, and another one man developer like Vital) fully supports MPE. It also automatically works with MTS-EPS for using alternative tunings. I can make my whole project follow a different tuning with one click. In Plasmonic, mousewheel support is there and also one can use arrow keys to move through presets. It is also Apple Silicon native and I can automate individual parameters.

rezoneight wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:34 pm They could release 2.0 with every single thing someone wanted and people would still complain. Sheesh. Be happy they're still releasing updates people.
I cannot speak for anyone else, but if MX 2.0 came out and it addressed all of MX's shortcomings, I would have nothing but praise for NI. Hell, even if it only fixed half of its shortcomings, that would be great. Unfortunately, 3 years after its initial release, almost none of those things have been addressed. Still cannot do something basic like using the arrow keys to step through presets.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:46 pm
Plasmonic (from Brian Clevinger, the original creator of Absynth, and another one man developer like Vital) fully supports MPE. It also automatically works with MTS-EPS for using alternative tunings. I can make my whole project follow a different tuning with one click. In Plasmonic, mousewheel support is there and also one can use arrow keys to move through presets. It is also Apple Silicon native and I can automate individual parameters.
Nimble small developer vs. corporate group-think and committee decision making...

Which is most likely to win the innovation race?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

rezoneight wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:34 pm Be happy they're still releasing updates people.
I am as I genuinely didn't expect them to still be in business the way things seemed to be going.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

MX development is indeed pretty slow but I still love NI stuff :)

Despite not fully developed browser, Massive X for me is a lot of fun to use and it sounds massive.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 pm Still cannot do something basic like using the arrow keys to step through presets.
So can't many other synths. Including some of the best sold and most used synths around.

And i find it more annoying if they do, because it means stealing keyboard focus.
More BPM please

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:03 am That said, I actually use the "beefed up" version, Total Commander Ultima Prime. It's nice, portable and has a bunch of useful tools. You can basically install Windows and TCUP and have pretty much everything you need.
Cool, thanks. I am a 15yrs loyal TC user and never heard of it. I guess it is not featured on ghislers main site 😉 Will try it out.

The site also mentioned another project, UFM. Will take a look at that one too. Also from a polish developer, like TCUP:
https://www.pawelporwisz.pl/ufm/docs_en.php

@all: sorry for being off topic, but Massive X deserves it😉

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 pm I cannot speak for anyone else, but if MX 2.0 came out and it addressed all of MX's shortcomings, I would have nothing but praise for NI.
Let's be realistic: Even if they kissed your feet, you wouldn't.

sQeetz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:45 am Total Commander for the win, as far as I'm concerned. :)
I bought a license so long ago, that ghisler sent me a 3,5” diskette via mail. Still using it today at version 10 👍
Been using Directory Opus since the Amiga days:

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

zzz00m wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:46 pm
Plasmonic (from Brian Clevinger, the original creator of Absynth, and another one man developer like Vital) ... individual parameters.
Nimble small developer vs. corporate group-think and committee decision making...

Which is most likely to win the innovation race?
There's absolutely no contest. The second bunch are almost incapable of innovation (these day$).
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Instruments”