Which is the hungriest Synth CPU wise nowadays?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I got a new computer and now Diva and Serum doesn't seem that hungry, what has come out in the last 4 -5 years that is hungry and is a fixed or semimodular architecture synth?

I guess falcon and reaktor can be more hungry since you can add infinite modules until they eat all the CPU, but apart from those what Synths are using "state of the art" what ever "processes" to showcase what current technology can do, cpu cycles be damned?

Or maybe we are past that point and everything sound superb just with a minimum cost to CPU?
dedication to flying

Generate is one of the hungriest. It takes up over 30% CPU on my AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. However, thanks to its multiple cores and threads, I can run numerous instances on separate tracks or thereads.

Not sure if it’s the hungriest, but Arturia’s Pigments 3 has got to be in contention.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

OnePingOnly

The hungriest synth ever was the RePro Beta.

Nowadays several synths provide user selectable oversampling, and at 8x can become pretty CPU intensive.

emef wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:23 amOnePingOnly
you obviously haven't tried the beta of Fourteen Pings Only!?!
jeepers
talk about a pig

When I load up either Pigments 3, Chromaphone 3 or Massive X, my laptop starts shaking and smoke starts billowing out from the rear.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OPsix Native has a higher CPU amount than several I've tried.

rod_zero wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:12 am So I got a new computer and now Diva and Serum doesn't seem that hungry, what has come out in the last 4 -5 years that is hungry and is a fixed or semimodular architecture synth?
As I've just acquired a new PC 2 1/2 weeks ago, I can tell you that that is a pretty frustrating experience. ;)

After all, we bought a new PC to be able to run more instruments, right?

Well, try this: Load Pigments, create a pad sound with long release time and loads of unison voices, run it through Softube Fix Phaser, NI Dirt, and NI Raum, and look if you can't max out your CPU that way. I'm pretty sure you can.

Super 8 seems pretty hungry, it puts me off spending more time with it.

Super 8 R2 is less demanding. The Reaktor version was pretty heavy.

i feed my synths regularly so they won't turn on me and eat me...

None, get an M1....problem solved

fisherKing wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:50 pm i feed my synths regularly so they won't turn on me and eat me...
LULZ
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”