Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:34 pm They could release 2.0 with every single thing someone wanted and people would still complain. Sheesh. Be happy they're still releasing updates people.
I cannot speak for anyone else, but if MX 2.0 came out and it addressed all of MX's shortcomings, I would have nothing but praise for NI. Hell, even if it only fixed half of its shortcomings, that would be great. Unfortunately, 3 years after its initial release, almost none of those things have been addressed. Still cannot do something basic like using the arrow keys to step through presets.
Yeah fairly pathetic imo. If they finished/fixed it i might even buy it.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

One thing is for sure...

Massive X is one of the most controversial and polarizing soft synths that has ever been released...

From the spinning yellow ball that the marketing department dreamed up,to a six month release delay and then the myriad of issues that have heralded it's arrival as the new flagship synth from a company that used to be a industry leader and an innovative developer...

When you look at all of the other issues that have beset Native Instruments of late,one could be excused for thinking that it has not all gone according to plan :wink:
No auto tune...

danielh02 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:26 pm
sQeetz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:45 am Total Commander for the win, as far as I'm concerned. :)
I bought a license so long ago, that ghisler sent me a 3,5” diskette via mail. Still using it today at version 10 👍
Been using Directory Opus since the Amiga days:

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/
Directory Opus is the best! I've been using it for a decade or more and you can totally configure it the way you like. Change the menu system, create toolbars (with each icon having 3 states: left, right and middle clicks), great viewer pane displaying multiple file types, treats archive files (zip, etc) like directories, great rename facility, multiple tabs, dual or single file list, multiple sorting (including manual), great support and actively developed, color code files, it's amazing.

digitalboytn wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:01 am One thing is for sure...

Massive X is one of the most controversial and polarizing soft synths that has ever been released...

From the spinning yellow ball that the marketing department dreamed up,to a six month release delay and then the myriad of issues that have heralded it's arrival as the new flagship synth from a company that used to be a industry leader and an innovative developer...

When you look at all of the other issues that have beset Native Instruments of late,one could be excused for thinking that it has not all gone according to plan :wink:
It's a fair point. I think at this point Massive X and Komplete Kontrol are just embarrassing.

Sound is subjective. From day 1 many people with great ears heard something special and lovely in Massive X that to this day I've never heard. All I hear is sterile, cold unpleasantness. But beauty is in the ear of the beholder, so that's fine.

But what is objective is the development path, and it's lamentable. These products are made by a behemoth of a company - anyone know of any other audio developer with 500 or more employees? Yet it seems they are acutely starved of resources. Until you see other products that they make which seem astoundingly well funded. These, ultimately, are management choices.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

You need to tweak more. :P There's nothing sterile in MX, from wavetables that are not necessarily mathematically precise, to analog emulated filters with plenty of non-linearities (which automatically means not sterile and cold ;)), to really awesome distortion and reverb effects... Start from init patch and explore.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:47 am You need to tweak more. :P There's nothing sterile in MX, from wavetables that are not necessarily mathematically precise, to analog emulated filters with plenty of non-linearities (which automatically means not sterile and cold ;)), to really awesome distortion and reverb effects... Start from init patch and explore.
Every time a new version comes out, I start with the newest presets. I've still never heard one I really like. If better programmers than I can't do it, I doubt I can.

I know others love it, that's great. It's just not for me when there are other wavetable synths like Pigments and Avenger I get on with just fine.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I don't think there is anything wrong with Massive X sound and modulation etc, its just not all that in todays market (Phase Plant, Icarus 2, Pigments etc...long list!) Its nice enough, just not 'different;' enough to make me pick it over others in many cases, certainly nothing revolutionary...I think a 'new' instrument from NI and the hype built up a lot of expectation which for many people the synth didn't live up to- doesn't make it a bad synth, just not the flagship 'new benchmark' synth many were expecting.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:53 amEvery time a new version comes out, I start with the newest presets. I've still never heard one I really like. If better programmers than I can't do it, I doubt I can.
NI sound designers target certain crowds, which I guess are not the same crowd you're in. :clown:

That doesn't mean the sound you want is not there, though.

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:53 am
EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:47 am You need to tweak more. :P There's nothing sterile in MX, from wavetables that are not necessarily mathematically precise, to analog emulated filters with plenty of non-linearities (which automatically means not sterile and cold ;)), to really awesome distortion and reverb effects... Start from init patch and explore.
Every time a new version comes out, I start with the newest presets. I've still never heard one I really like. If better programmers than I can't do it, I doubt I can.

I know others love it, that's great. It's just not for me when there are other wavetable synths like Pigments and Avenger I get on with just fine.
Presets in MX suck. Well, not all of them but many. I do my own stuff and I'm not f finding MX sterile. But on the other hand, I can't stand the flat/digital/sterile sound of Pigments (which I sold after the latest big update), so there's that :D

I agree. Massive X needs more of "better and usable" presets. Some presets sound amazing, especially in Expansions. But I think NI needs to add more standard/usable/bread'n'butter sounds to Massive X, even if it is in the form of new Expansions. Right now a lot of presets are too experimental and complex and thus difficult to (easily) use in songs.

The sheer fact that it's by NI is polarizing.

chk071 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:18 am

The sheer fact that it's by NI is polarizing.
Especially here on KVR.
More BPM please

Yeah, of course not in the real world, where NI is top of the industry.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:23 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:27 am I agree. Massive X needs more of "better and usable" presets. Some presets sound amazing, especially in Expansions. But I think NI needs to add more standard/usable/bread'n'butter sounds to Massive X, even if it is in the form of new Expansions. Right now a lot of presets are too experimental and complex and thus difficult to (easily) use in songs.
That's a problem with preset packs generally. Too much "check out my crazy sound design skillz" and not enough "here's some sounds you can actually use in a track". I bought Scene for Massive X because the demos impressed me, but when I actually heard all the presets I was reminded why I usually don't buy them...
Exactly. I am also hesitant to buy any new Massive X Expansions and did not get any on the latest ones. But should I decide to update to Komplete 14, I am pretty sure they will be included anyway, so best to avoid right now when you know you will hardly find ones that you can actually use.

Currently, Massive X feels more like a sound design, ambient drones or experimental synth when it can (should) be much more than that considering it is their flagship synth and evolution of popular synth Massive. Not sure what the team is thinking.

Hoping for more useful presets in future, even if it just 50 of them.

Return to “Instruments”