Arturia V Collection 9 - Official Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

My upgrade price is showing as $399. I own V8 and Pigments. I suspect that it may be because I bought V8 and used the four payments option and I still have two payments left. Anyone have any insight? Hopefully I'll hear back from Arturia.

Boy Wonder wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:52 am So far, I've noticed general consensus is MS-20 is a winner like GForce's OB-E. I guess we are finally getting to the age where software truly rivals hardware in sound quality.
Exactly, we're finally there !

The YouTube linked, gearjunkies or whatever, the guy doesn't even get the patches matched. Weird that anyone (on either side of the argument) would use that particular video as evidence of anything. There's no comparison.

A guy of that type shouldn't be making comparison videos. He seems like the type that is probably really good at certain things, but this type of video is not one of those things.

Can't wait for a better comparison video.

Really impressed by the plugins loading time improvements, it is significantly better compared to earlier version. I remember reading people debate on how long it took Analog Lab V to load for instance. So, thank you and well done, Arturia! :tu:

nirm123 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:16 am
Boy Wonder wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:52 am So far, I've noticed general consensus is MS-20 is a winner like GForce's OB-E. I guess we are finally getting to the age where software truly rivals hardware in sound quality.
I hate to burst your bubble fellows, but I’ve got a room full of hardware synths that says otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to get rid of most of this crap. But then my music would sound like, er, crap.

But don’t give up hope. The day will arrive. We’re just not there yet.

Given the complexity, close enough is more than good enough for software emulation IMO, as I think 100% is not possible no matter what you do. And even then, as humans our opinions will always be subjective, so we should draw a line where we should stop comparing and start accepting. I know, it's fun to compare and criticize when you have hardware to compare, but most people wouldn't care, and those who care (and have money, space and patience) would probably just buy hardware. Not many have the luxury to own hardware synths, at least more than one and especially legacy synths.

OllieBoi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:39 am
I hate to burst your bubble fellows, but I’ve got a room full of hardware synths that says otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to get rid of most of this crap. But then my music would sound like, er, crap.

"sounds as good" is a subjective statement, "sounds identical" is not...

So, did I hear/read correctly, that the piano instrument in this now uses only physical modelling? IOW, no samples? If so, how does it compare to PianoTeq?

Also, how true is that of each instrument, out of curiosity? To what extent are they modelled, and to what extent sampled?

Seems to be pretty solid! I just copied the current patch over from my MS-20 Mini. I'm just ballparking it, and the Mini isn't even on right now, but once I got everything set up it already sounds right to me. Will do a proper side-by-side later. I like what I'm hearing though.
Stormchild

kvotchin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:39 am So, did I hear/read correctly, that the piano instrument in this now uses only physical modelling? IOW, no samples? If so, how does it compare to PianoTeq?

Also, how true is that of each instrument, out of curiosity? To what extent are they modelled, and to what extent sampled?
As far as I know, Piano V has always been modeled and not sampled, and the same goes for all the organs and electric pianos. I believe the only V Collection instruments that use samples are:
  • Emulations of sample-based synths, such as Emulator II, SQ80, and CMI (Fairlight).
  • Mellotron, where samples are used in place of tape loops (but processed to sound like tape).
  • Vocoder, for the mode that uses triggerable samples as the modulator instead of live audio input.
  • The new Augmented Strings & Voices plugins.
Stormchild

PsychicVST wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:56 pm I just tried to install a sound pack included with v9. It won’t install on my m1 max. It says,
“The program cannot be installed in this computer, because of the system architecture PPC is not supported. Intel architecture is required!”

What’s up with that? The synth are m1 native but the sound packs aren’t?
Indeed we have a problem with the new packs .pkg installers that might not be universal binaries.. We are looking into it, in the meantime you can install the packs from the store in Analog Lab V, it should work correctly there :)

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:44 am
OllieBoi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:39 amDon’t get me wrong, I would love to get rid of most of this crap. But then my music would sound like, er, crap.
That would be entirely your fault, not the tools you are using.
Is that the best you’ve got? Hmm, okay.
Last edited by OllieBoi on Fri May 13, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

OllieBoi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:39 am

Oh look, we're here. Again.

I listened to the A/B towards the end of the video. They don't sound exactly the same, even the notes aren't the same. If I had the will I might find out why if I watched the rest of the video. But I don't have the will.

In terms of timbre, they sound very close to me though. Likely no 2 pieces of old hardware will sound exactly the same, let alone software vs hardware.

Purely in terms of sonics, dismissing an incredibly close emulation as "crap" is puerile. And the notion that because of its sonic inferiority it can only make "crap" music is a sensational faceplant. As the poster two up says, if you can only make crap music with it the problem there is you, not the tool.

The thing that is so silly about it all is that it misses the big, gaping obvious advantage of hardware of software - that it is hardware. You can physically grab the controls. That's what software users are missing out on. That's an ocean of difference, not a pinhead of difference. It changes everything about how you interact with the synth, makes you work differently and changes what sounds and ultimately music you come up with. With a very good emulation - which the Arturia MS20 clearly is - it's not some indefinable technical sonic difference, its that music you make itself which will be different.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”