Why is my Dynamic Range so low?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
EmelGreer
KVRer
Topic Starter
14 posts since 23 May, 2021

Post Wed May 11, 2022 8:09 am

Hi everyone, I use Waves' WLM meter to measure my tracks before posting, and the dynamic range for my mixes with piano and vocals only are so limited -- anywhere from 3 to 7! I've tried turning down the compressor levels (upping the threshold) and just making sure it's compressing less on the master track, reverb buses, and main tracks, but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you!

Googly Smythe
KVRAF
3341 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Everywhere and nowhere, baby

Post Wed May 11, 2022 8:30 am

You need to post an example, there may be many reasons...
Dynamic range (as I understand it!) is the range between the quiet bits and the loud bits - if the music is all one level, ie no crescendos/diminuendos, no peaks or troughs, the dynamic range will be limited (no pun intended), whether the music is gentle or raucous, gregorian chant or death metal.
Post an example.
BitChute
SoundCloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
32628 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Wed May 11, 2022 8:44 am

Have you tried getting them professionally mastered? Nothing wrong with plenty of dynamic range. :)

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
4473 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Wed May 11, 2022 8:54 am

and the dynamic range for my mixes with piano and vocals only are so limited -- anywhere from 3 to 7! I've
That's less than my dense trance mixes, so certainly you're doing something very wrong. Post examples.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

EmelGreer
KVRer
Topic Starter

Post Wed May 11, 2022 11:23 am

How should I upload it? Send a WeTransfer link to the Logic file? What if you don’t have my plug-ins? I could bounce the tracks to audio with all plug-ins? Would that be best? Thank you!!

vurt
addled muppet weed
93430 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am

yes bounce to mp3 and post on soundcloud or similar :)
malleus melificarum.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Wed May 11, 2022 11:30 am

how does the dynamics look with no compression at all?

ie does the track have much dynamic movement?
malleus melificarum.

EmelGreer
KVRer
Topic Starter

Post Wed May 11, 2022 11:36 am

Turning off compression didn’t help. Here are the tracks:

https://we.tl/t-8gvKD6C5VT

If you’d rather stream then just let me know, I’ll put them on SoundCloud :)

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Wed May 11, 2022 12:00 pm

im not at my studio system at the minute so can't listen
but from what you say about no compression not helping, im guessing it's heavy in reverb?
that if overdone can make everything one big sound.
malleus melificarum.

EmelGreer
KVRer
Topic Starter

Post Wed May 11, 2022 1:17 pm

Oh, ok! I didn’t think about the reverb squashing the dynamic range — I’ll reduce the reverb and see if it helps! Thanks so much!

BazJacuzzi
KVRer
18 posts since 20 May, 2020

Post Fri May 13, 2022 4:08 am

I measure the dynamic range of the wav file you shared at around 13 LUFS, so you've got nothing to worry about, other than finding another dynamic range meter. :hihi:

EmelGreer
KVRer
Topic Starter

Post Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am

BazJacuzzi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:08 am I measure the dynamic range of the wav file you shared at around 13 LUFS, so you've got nothing to worry about, other than finding another dynamic range meter. :hihi:
Omg really? Thank you so much!! Wow, ok, I’ll use a new meter. (It was the “YouTube” preset on the Waves meter.)

Return to “Production Techniques”