Connecting to iPad with USB C

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all, just received my new Linnstrument 200 yesterday, I'm so stoked!

My 4th gen iPad Air has a USB C connector. Can I use a USB B-to-USB C cable to connect the Linnstrument? I don't have that kind of cable, so I thought I might ask this group before ordering one.

Looking forward to learning and creating music with this amazing UI!

Phil

Hi philouba,

Thanks for owning a LinnStrument. Some cables are better than others, especially in the area of delivering enough power to LinnStrument. I recommended using a standard USB B (square connector) to USB A (flat connector) cable (like the one included with your LinnStrument), then adding an Apple USB A to USB C adaptor.

Also the Hooking It Up page on my site provides lots of helpful information about connections.

Ah yes, I forgot about power for the Linnstrument - the iPad is probably not the best place to get it. I'll have a look at the Hooking It Up page.

I've had no trouble using my Linnstrument 128 with my iPad Air/5 using this cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCMXLLP

Excellent! Thanks for this information.

If you're okay with a slightly-less portable option, a powered USB hub like this one would be a good way to go. It'll keep your iPad charged and allow you to connect multiple standard USB things.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324947538062

This one has a couple USB-A ports, an HDMI out, an SD card reader and even a headphone jack (a must for me as the latency with bluetooth audio can be atrocious). It appears to be 20% off right now with coupon code ANKER20P

Thank you! I am going to give that one a try.

I am currently testing various docks and hubs with my new iPad Pro. So far I haven't had any major issues controlling the Linnstrument (or anything else)... if I run into a model that is particularly good, or one that has reproducible issues, I will let folks know.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

The one suggested above by invisible_touch, Anker PowerExpand 6-in-1 USB-C Hub Adapter, works flawlessly, and seems well-made. Thank you for sharing.

[edit: nm about this for original poster, I somehow missed that this was for newer non-lightning iPads, even though it stated that in subject! but maybe this will be helpful to others.]

As noted on Roger's hooking it up page, for older/underpowered iOS devices with lightning connectors they really don't have enough power to drive the Linnstrument, I've had good luck with below. I hooked it up to a portable battery giving me a truly portable solution -- if you like nests of cables that is. I built a self-contained box for all of that but it wasn't functioning well enough to share that -- (and I can't fix it because a tree fell on our house and much of my gear is getting cleaned from the resulting asbestos contamination, lol but thats another story).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B085DNNB4D?th=1

btw, Roger, the other link is now pointing to an HDMI dongle so you probably want to delete that one. :)

Thanks-- I've deleted the Amazon link that had changed to point to a HDMI dongle.

[OT comment, moved to seperate thread]

Hello all. First post since getting my Linnstrument.
I have a USB-C iPad I would love to connect WITH headphones also (it works fine without headphones). The only links I've seen here are for a lightning connector version. Can anyone recommend a specific splitter or hub that we know works with Linnstrument so that my wife doesn't have to listen to me learning the amazing thing? Thanks!

There’s a suggested unit on my site’s Hooking It Up page.

The link on the Hooking It Up page leads to a dead-end. Anker makes some great gear, but they're always adding/removing items in their product line-up.

This is the one I recommended above https://www.ebay.com/itm/324947538062, it doesn't appear on the Anker page any more, but still readily available and, again/still at a 20% discount from Anker's eBay store.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”