Arturia V Collection 9 - Official Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

My Theremin needs are still not met.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:14 pm My Theremin needs are still not met.
mine are.
i have a theremin.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:05 pm It's almost as if people just want whatever they can't have
You may be on to something there :D :D .
Forbidden fruit / non available food always tastes better... even when it doesn t really; :hyper:

But i for one have seen quite a few positive comments too.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:05 pm It's almost as if people just want whatever they can't have, and when they actually get it they immediately move on to wanting something else they can't have instead of actually making music.
KVR ... :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

mholloway wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:13 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:05 pm I like how I've seen so many people complaining about the remakes. Everyone was complaining about how they needed to remake the CS-80 cause the DSP was really old and not up to par, then when they do it it's mostly complaints that a new synth wasn't made instead, cause 30+ synths aren't enough for some reason. The EXACT same thing happened when they remade the Jupiter. Everyone complained that the V3 Jupiter sucked and needed a rebuild, then when they actually did it, complaints about how they should have spent the time on a new synth (because close to 30 synths wasn't enough for some reason).

It's almost as if people just want whatever they can't have, and when they actually get it they immediately move on to wanting something else they can't have instead of actually making music.
Or they aren't the same people, is all. Some folks want strictly new stuff. Some folks want updated stuff. In the context of a forum, you see them all, bickering about whatever need was left unmet. So it goes.
Yep, different strokes.

Is this worth getting if I use Diva? Diva seems to be good enough for me for classic sounds, but would the v collection add anything for that you a think is a must?

There's demos of all their plugins. Download them and try them out for yourself. :tu:
Last edited by trusampler on Sun May 15, 2022 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

3ptguitarist wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:03 am Is this worth getting if I use Diva? Diva seems to be good enough for me for classic sounds, but would the v collection add anything for that you a think is a must?
Buchla and the digital emulations at least?

machinesworking wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:19 pm One caveat, MPE is half done, sounds great on things it works with, but Artiuria for some godawful reason allowed for MPE 74 slide control of parameters that do not work with MPE, resulting in a scrambled mess when you slide chords and don't slide held bass notes etc.
"A scrambled mess" was also my MPE experience demoing the SQ80 back when they first released it. It just seemed like the separate notes wouldn't know what CC74 (or pressure) value they were supposed to be tracking, so they'd latch onto the most recent value that was sent, regardless of what note it was from. I figured it would be fixed by now, but I guess not?

Haven't got time to try them out, but I see that a lot of the older (pre V Collection 9) instruments now claim MPE support in their release notes:

Jun-6
Jup-8
CZ
Emulator
OP-Xa
Vocoder

Which is all pretty exciting. Here's hoping the MPE bugs get ironed out soon.

3ptguitarist wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:03 am Is this worth getting if I use Diva? Diva seems to be good enough for me for classic sounds, but would the v collection add anything for that you a think is a must?
It's not exactly comparable, as V Collection does a lot more..

For basic subtractive synthesis, where Diva overlaps, how well it does so depends on your programming skills. A simple example would be voice variance. You'll have to deliberately introduce this in Diva, but you generally get more control (Not always, depending on the features hidden away in Arturia's advanced panel). Whereas Arturia provide a simplified variance section with limited custom editing (No per voice on anything except pan on some instruments, and frequently limited ranges where you might not hear the setting doing anything!)

Beyond that, a lot depends on how your brain works. For some people having so many choices is amazing. For others it's like a creative block as they don't know where to start. If you're in the later section then learning fewer, but more capable, things (Pigments would be Arturia's example of this) might gel better with your creative process. There is no correct answer here. Would you rather have one tool which can do a lot? Or many, which each do less, but might do a specific thing more easily or better?

V Collection has sample based instruments, like SQ80 V and even Prophet VS, which will give you sounds Diva won't do. Augmented Strings and Voices are other examples. Those appear out of place right now, but clue you in on how Arturia see V Collection's future. It's more comparable to something like NI Komplete now. Provided Arturia stick to synthesis and modeling, where possible, hopefully they'll avoid doing what NI did - which was (arguably, at least in part) to focus too much on sample based content / loops and lose their way.

Other than that, download the demos. They'll run for 20 mins with no noise blasts etc!

cthonophonic wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:11 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:19 pm One caveat, MPE is half done, sounds great on things it works with, but Artiuria for some godawful reason allowed for MPE 74 slide control of parameters that do not work with MPE, resulting in a scrambled mess when you slide chords and don't slide held bass notes etc.
"A scrambled mess" was also my MPE experience demoing the SQ80 back when they first released it. It just seemed like the separate notes wouldn't know what CC74 (or pressure) value they were supposed to be tracking, so they'd latch onto the most recent value that was sent, regardless of what note it was from. I figured it would be fixed by now, but I guess not?

Haven't got time to try them out, but I see that a lot of the older (pre V Collection 9) instruments now claim MPE support in their release notes:

Jun-6
Jup-8
CZ
Emulator
OP-Xa
Vocoder

What I'm seeing is some selectable as CC74 parameters are monophonic, i.e. they don't respond separately to CC74 variances, and some get eratic with no "first come first served" happening. Regardless, it's great they're attempting to get MPE going and besides cc74 it's not bad, pitch and aftertouch are good!

machinesworking wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:44 am
cthonophonic wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:11 am

Jun-6
Jup-8
CZ
Emulator
OP-Xa
Vocoder

What I'm seeing is some selectable as CC74 parameters are monophonic, i.e. they don't respond separately to CC74 variances, and some get eratic with no "first come first served" happening. Regardless, it's great they're attempting to get MPE going and besides cc74 it's not bad, pitch and aftertouch are good!
Ah, I see. It sounds like a different issue from what I was experiencing, so maybe they did get that one fixed. Anyway, I look forward to finding out.

EnGee wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:30 am
Buchla and the digital emulations at least?
I should preface this to say that I'm a beginner at synths and don't know much about old school synths, but I like some of the sounds of them. So, I'm not sure what Buchla and the digital emulations is all about.

PAK wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:37 am
It's not exactly comparable, as V Collection does a lot more..

For basic subtractive synthesis, where Diva overlaps, how well it does so depends on your programming skills. A simple example would be voice variance. You'll have to deliberately introduce this in Diva, but you generally get more control (Not always, depending on the features hidden away in Arturia's advanced panel). Whereas Arturia provide a simplified variance section with limited custom editing (No per voice on anything except pan on some instruments, and frequently limited ranges where you might not hear the setting doing anything!)

Beyond that, a lot depends on how your brain works. For some people having so many choices is amazing. For others it's like a creative block as they don't know where to start. If you're in the later section then learning fewer, but more capable, things (Pigments would be Arturia's example of this) might gel better with your creative process. There is no correct answer here. Would you rather have one tool which can do a lot? Or many, which each do less, but might do a specific thing more easily or better?

V Collection has sample based instruments, like SQ80 V and even Prophet VS, which will give you sounds Diva won't do. Augmented Strings and Voices are other examples. Those appear out of place right now, but clue you in on how Arturia see V Collection's future. It's more comparable to something like NI Komplete now. Provided Arturia stick to synthesis and modeling, where possible, hopefully they'll avoid doing what NI did - which was (arguably, at least in part) to focus too much on sample based content / loops and lose their way.

Other than that, download the demos. They'll run for 20 mins with no noise blasts etc!
Thanks for the detailed response. I've briefly tried some of the arturia vsts, but haven't really dug deep enough to know how the vsts are. I do like the obxa vst, but I'm unsure how good the sound compares to other obxa vsts and the real thing. I do like Diva though because it has a fat sound and it has the most analog sound out of all vst's I've heard (though I could be biased lol).

Return to “Instruments”