Anyone Using Acid Pro?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's hard to care about ACID Pro with Cakewalk free, these days. Also, almost everything out there supports ACID and RX2 (ACID doesn't support REX2). You have to be addicted to specific workflow nuances to stick with ACID. It's seeing so little development, and it has been really buggy since the v8 update launched.

What you gain from ACID over Cakewalk simply doesn't measure up to what you lose using ACID over Cakewalk. The disparity between these two DAWs is as wide as the Pacific. ACID was out of development for a decade. I don't think MAGIX could do anything to make up for that short of killing ACID and rebranding Samplitude Pro X as ACID while pretending it is the same product line.

Hell, even Samplitude works pretty well with Loops, while having stratospheric advantages over ACID Pro in pretty much every other area.

Once you go beyond dropping loops and audio samples into the arranger, you start ceding tons of creative avenues with ACID Pro. Personally, I'd rather just use Maschine or MPC Software for beat making - assuming I wouldn't go to something like FL Studio, Ableton Live or a Studio DAW (Cakewalk, Samplitude Pro X, Cubase, etc.).

Probably a hot take, but I think it would have been best if MAGIX had left this product in the software graveyard. Sony abandoned it for a reason.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I have version 8 or 9 I think, not really using it. Was fun back in the day and somewhat improved functionality-wise these days, still I am not overly interested in using it over anything else. Don't even have it installed currently. :shrug:

Yeah, ACiD workflow doesn't fit in composing workflows better for 'playing around for the happy accident' and nothing wrong with old DX-DXi plus I use XP SP3 32bitz so just fine here...Don't like windows 10 at all don't care for spyware OSes that get force installed on people's machines...

Everybody needs to keep in their mind that not everybody likes to use current ANYTHING & you can make music just fine with 10-15 year old apps. Most modern shit way bloated...

I used Acid a bit :party: :tu: around 2009, it was the gateway drug to Sony Vegas, IMO the best video editor of the era. The Acid loop workflow was a revelation, but was soon added to most other DAWs.

Winstontaneous wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 am I used Acid a bit :party: :tu: around 2009, it was the gateway drug to Sony Vegas, IMO the best video editor of the era. The Acid loop workflow was a revelation, but was soon added to most other DAWs.
I'm still using Vegas. It has the fastest workflow for my wee needs (nothing pro, just YouTube video editing, video stabilizer etc).

Fun fact: to this day, Cubase can't properly read acid format and more than often is playing double speed while previewing files in media browser. I don't think that they'll ever fix it at this point :)

pixel85 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:35 am Fun fact: to this day, Cubase can't properly read acid format and more than often is playing double speed while previewing files in media browser. I don't think that they'll ever fix it at this point :)
My drum loops come up at half speed when I drop them into Sampler Tracks here. Have to change the tempo of them almost every time I do it. Drag a sample tagged and labelled as 174bpm, Cubase always detects it at 87 instead. Luckily Im chopping those up and using the hits for the most part, but would cause a lot of trouble if you were actually using the loops and needed the time stretching heh.

mothra wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:15 pm
pixel85 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:35 am Fun fact: to this day, Cubase can't properly read acid format and more than often is playing double speed while previewing files in media browser. I don't think that they'll ever fix it at this point :)
My drum loops come up at half speed when I drop them into Sampler Tracks here. Have to change the tempo of them almost every time I do it. Drag a sample tagged and labelled as 174bpm, Cubase always detects it at 87 instead. Luckily Im chopping those up and using the hits for the most part, but would cause a lot of trouble if you were actually using the loops and needed the time stretching heh.
Yeah, it's annoying. I have drumloop libraries with acidized and not-acidized files and I'm using the latter because it's faster than fixing half or double tempo.

When I was 12, maybe 13, we had a second hand computer games shop in our town. I got a bit of birthday money from my folks, so I went down there. I had messed around with music and played keyboards in school, but never used much software other than Music2000 on the playstation and Dance Ejay. lmao.

But they had a copy of Acid Style. Was a limited version of Acid, and I rinsed that for yeeeeeaaaaaarrrrssssss. It basically got me into music tech!

Great days.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

ACID is more suited to melodic content and most DAWs can tempo detect that pretty well, so the metadata is actually an impediment. This is why people with both ACIDized and Clean versions often just opt for the clean versions.

For Percussive Loops, REX2 is more optimal. Unfortunately, ACID Pro does not support REX2. Most DAWs have good Transient Detection, though.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

jamcat wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:42 pm What year is it where you guys are?
:hihi: :hihi:

here's my XP V-Machine:-
old DAW.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nix808 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:06 am here's my XP V-Machine:-
old DAW.png
That straight up takes me back to my old Packard Bell P233 in 1998 (but I also had a Cubase XT icon back then too) hah.

I updated Acid maybe 1 year ago because I just couldn't stand to let it go. At that time I thought 'maybe' I would use it. I barely touched it.

TBH I think I keep it around more for nostalgia than anything because I go back a long time with it. I started with it when it was owned by Sonic Foundry. I am an antique, ACID is a developed antique.

I was glad to see it bought and at least developed enough to keep it current.
This post reminds me I could pull it out and mess with it again because I had forgotten I had it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”