Anyone Using Acid Pro?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
Trensharo
KVRist
263 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Thu May 12, 2022 1:45 pm

It's hard to care about ACID Pro with Cakewalk free, these days. Also, almost everything out there supports ACID and RX2 (ACID doesn't support REX2). You have to be addicted to specific workflow nuances to stick with ACID. It's seeing so little development, and it has been really buggy since the v8 update launched.

What you gain from ACID over Cakewalk simply doesn't measure up to what you lose using ACID over Cakewalk. The disparity between these two DAWs is as wide as the Pacific. ACID was out of development for a decade. I don't think MAGIX could do anything to make up for that short of killing ACID and rebranding Samplitude Pro X as ACID while pretending it is the same product line.

Hell, even Samplitude works pretty well with Loops, while having stratospheric advantages over ACID Pro in pretty much every other area.

Once you go beyond dropping loops and audio samples into the arranger, you start ceding tons of creative avenues with ACID Pro. Personally, I'd rather just use Maschine or MPC Software for beat making - assuming I wouldn't go to something like FL Studio, Ableton Live or a Studio DAW (Cakewalk, Samplitude Pro X, Cubase, etc.).

Probably a hot take, but I think it would have been best if MAGIX had left this product in the software graveyard. Sony abandoned it for a reason.

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
4696 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu May 12, 2022 2:18 pm

I have version 8 or 9 I think, not really using it. Was fun back in the day and somewhat improved functionality-wise these days, still I am not overly interested in using it over anything else. Don't even have it installed currently. :shrug:

Iconoklast
Banned
75 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Thu May 12, 2022 4:24 pm

Yeah, ACiD workflow doesn't fit in composing workflows better for 'playing around for the happy accident' and nothing wrong with old DX-DXi plus I use XP SP3 32bitz so just fine here...Don't like windows 10 at all don't care for spyware OSes that get force installed on people's machines...

Everybody needs to keep in their mind that not everybody likes to use current ANYTHING & you can make music just fine with 10-15 year old apps. Most modern shit way bloated...

Winstontaneous
KVRAF
2217 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm

I used Acid a bit :party: :tu: around 2009, it was the gateway drug to Sony Vegas, IMO the best video editor of the era. The Acid loop workflow was a revelation, but was soon added to most other DAWs.

User avatar
pixel85
KVRAF
1655 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Thu May 12, 2022 11:33 pm

Winstontaneous wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm I used Acid a bit :party: :tu: around 2009, it was the gateway drug to Sony Vegas, IMO the best video editor of the era. The Acid loop workflow was a revelation, but was soon added to most other DAWs.
I'm still using Vegas. It has the fastest workflow for my wee needs (nothing pro, just YouTube video editing, video stabilizer etc).
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

User avatar
pixel85
KVRAF
1655 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Thu May 12, 2022 11:35 pm

Fun fact: to this day, Cubase can't properly read acid format and more than often is playing double speed while previewing files in media browser. I don't think that they'll ever fix it at this point :)
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

mothra
KVRist
52 posts since 15 May, 2003 from R'lyeh

Post Fri May 13, 2022 12:15 pm

pixel85 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:35 pm Fun fact: to this day, Cubase can't properly read acid format and more than often is playing double speed while previewing files in media browser. I don't think that they'll ever fix it at this point :)
My drum loops come up at half speed when I drop them into Sampler Tracks here. Have to change the tempo of them almost every time I do it. Drag a sample tagged and labelled as 174bpm, Cubase always detects it at 87 instead. Luckily Im chopping those up and using the hits for the most part, but would cause a lot of trouble if you were actually using the loops and needed the time stretching heh.

User avatar
pixel85
KVRAF
1655 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Fri May 13, 2022 12:22 pm

mothra wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:15 pm
pixel85 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:35 pm Fun fact: to this day, Cubase can't properly read acid format and more than often is playing double speed while previewing files in media browser. I don't think that they'll ever fix it at this point :)
My drum loops come up at half speed when I drop them into Sampler Tracks here. Have to change the tempo of them almost every time I do it. Drag a sample tagged and labelled as 174bpm, Cubase always detects it at 87 instead. Luckily Im chopping those up and using the hits for the most part, but would cause a lot of trouble if you were actually using the loops and needed the time stretching heh.
Yeah, it's annoying. I have drumloop libraries with acidized and not-acidized files and I'm using the latter because it's faster than fixing half or double tempo.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

Amberience
KVRAF
7211 posts since 7 Mar, 2003

Post Fri May 13, 2022 1:48 pm

When I was 12, maybe 13, we had a second hand computer games shop in our town. I got a bit of birthday money from my folks, so I went down there. I had messed around with music and played keyboards in school, but never used much software other than Music2000 on the playstation and Dance Ejay. lmao.

But they had a copy of Acid Style. Was a limited version of Acid, and I rinsed that for yeeeeeaaaaaarrrrssssss. It basically got me into music tech!

Great days.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Trensharo
KVRist
263 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Sat May 14, 2022 12:58 pm

pixel85 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:35 pm Fun fact: to this day, Cubase can't properly read acid format and more than often is playing double speed while previewing files in media browser. I don't think that they'll ever fix it at this point :)
ACID is more suited to melodic content and most DAWs can tempo detect that pretty well, so the metadata is actually an impediment. This is why people with both ACIDized and Clean versions often just opt for the clean versions.

For Percussive Loops, REX2 is more optimal. Unfortunately, ACID Pro does not support REX2. Most DAWs have good Transient Detection, though.

careyletendre
KVRist
Topic Starter
321 posts since 8 Mar, 2007

Post Sun May 15, 2022 9:44 pm

jamcat wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:42 pm What year is it where you guys are?
:hihi: :hihi:

User avatar
nix808
KVRAF
4707 posts since 22 Jul, 2006 from Tasmania, Australia

Post Wed May 18, 2022 1:06 am

here's my XP V-Machine:-
old DAW.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mothra
KVRist
52 posts since 15 May, 2003 from R'lyeh

Post Thu May 19, 2022 3:34 pm

nix808 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:06 am here's my XP V-Machine:-
old DAW.png
That straight up takes me back to my old Packard Bell P233 in 1998 (but I also had a Cubase XT icon back then too) hah.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”