One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

empphryio wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:32 pm
rpm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:16 pm
empphryio wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:12 pm
rpm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:09 pm Hey all, I'm considering going for an OSC with the idea that it could push me to discover Surge better. But it would my first time with OSC. I am also very much into experimental and irregular stuff and don't wanna make an ass of myself. I looked up some submissions and they are pretty nice but much more regular (in terms of sound design and beat) and more techno, trance, etc. I hope it wouldn't be seen as some lame attempt that doesn't fit at all with OSC if I were to do something experimental. I mean, I never know, I can end up with a mellow ambient track as well but I just push myself to try new compositional ideas each time (especially generative, these days). What do you think? Does it sound like I should stay away?
Please enter
Thank you for the encouragement!
I was a tad short... I can't speak for everyone but some of us welcome diverse styles. That doesn't mean you will necessarily place high. No idea. But you may get some good comments and it can be a good way to learn stuff.
Thanks, yeah I know you can't speak for all. I just wanted to get a feel for whether what I described is absolutely nuts or okay. I don't really care about placing high but I don't wanna be seen as a saboteur or something.
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

rpm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:58 pm ...but I don't wanna be seen as a saboteur or something.
Nothing like that is going to happen. Don't worry. Really, anything goes in this competition. :) Well, as long as you follow the rules, that is ; please do read them carefully, it may prevent bother later on. They live here: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules ( link may not work, paste in browser if not )

ELEX wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:21 pm
rpm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:58 pm ...but I don't wanna be seen as a saboteur or something.
Nothing like that is going to happen. Don't worry. Really, anything goes in this competition. :) Well, as long as you follow the rules, that is ; please do read them carefully, it may prevent bother later on. They live here: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules ( link may not work, paste in browser if not )
Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah I read the rules multiple times. I still ask myself things like "hmm... can I use this MIDI plugin that is free but not listed in the osc website?" I'll try my best to not get disqualified and I will ask anything I'm not sure about.

P.S. I see that MIDI plugins are allowed. I just tried to say I am constantly referring to the rules as I work. It's difficult to break years of habit (of acting freely).

rpm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:32 pm
ELEX wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:21 pm
Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah I read the rules multiple times. I still ask myself things like "hmm... can I use this MIDI plugin that is free but not listed in the osc website?" I'll try my best to not get disqualified and I will ask anything I'm not sure about.

P.S. I see that MIDI plugins are allowed. I just tried to say I am constantly referring to the rules as I work. It's difficult to break years of habit (of acting freely).
Plugins are listed there for example, so if you know other free and "not banned types", then use them and maybe teach us something new!) Don't worry about genres either - yes, many people here like modern styles a la "4-on-the-floor", but there is also generative music, and microtonal, contemporary, ethnic... what is not there! And many people here (including me) appreciate the variety of music, so I'm sure you'll find something important for yourself and give something important for us here!)

A few questions.
1. "OSC might request project files at any time." What does that mean? Stems? When we lay tracks down, can they be rendered in place or do they have to be mixed and mastered live?

2. Under "Samples" it says reversing is not allowed. Ok. There's a patch in SurgeXT that scales downwards chromatically. If I reverse it after rendering it, it sounds like a riser. Can I use that?

3. Under "Effects - what is allowed" it says chorus and modulation are allowed. Under "Effects - what is NOT allowed" it says chorus or related modular effects. Huh???????
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

rpm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:09 pm Hey all, I'm considering going for an OSC with the idea that it could push me to discover Surge better. But it would my first time with OSC. I am also very much into experimental and irregular stuff...
Yes, please enter!

One of these years I'm going to try the same myself. Just haven't got my act together yet. But if I do ever submit something to OSC, it will be distinctly out of place :-) And I'm confident that this is a cool group of people who don't mind the occasional experiment.

For this month, I'll watch with interest and see what you come up with!

Boy Wonder wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:24 am A few questions.
1. "OSC might request project files at any time." What does that mean? Stems? When we lay tracks down, can they be rendered in place or do they have to be mixed and mastered live?
This rarely happens, but it would be to check that you are following the rules. It's not stems the judges would need to look at, but the original midi and plugin chains.
2. Under "Samples" it says reversing is not allowed. Ok. There's a patch in SurgeXT that scales downwards chromatically. If I reverse it after rendering it, it sounds like a riser. Can I use that?
No, but you may be able to modify the patch to produce a similar riser without reversing the audio.
3. Under "Effects - what is allowed" it says chorus and modulation are allowed. Under "Effects - what is NOT allowed" it says chorus or related modular effects. Huh???????
Chorus and modulation effects built-in to the synth plugin are allowed. Chorus, granular effects, pitch shifting, it's all good as long as you're using the effects Surge itself provides. You're not allowed to use those kinds of effects from other plugins, because they alter the sound of the synth too much.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

@FrogsInPants - Thanks for the clarification.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

rpm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:09 pm Hey all, I'm considering going for an OSC with the idea that it could push me to discover Surge better. But it would my first time with OSC. I am also very much into experimental and irregular stuff and don't wanna make an ass of myself. I looked up some submissions and they are pretty nice but much more regular (in terms of sound design and beat) and more techno, trance, etc. I hope it wouldn't be seen as some lame attempt that doesn't fit at all with OSC if I were to do something experimental. I mean, I never know, I can end up with a mellow ambient track as well but I just push myself to try new compositional ideas each time (especially generative, these days). What do you think? Does it sound like I should stay away?
Please enter ! Experimental tracks rarely score that high but interesting comments, experience and knowledge outvalue largely raking imo, and these you'll probably get !

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind."

Duke Ellington

I am not sure who specifically to DM about this but:

I think the rules are clear if read carefully and with certain background knowledge in place. With that said, enough people find them confusing in certain ways, that I think a revision for clarity would be useful. I work in a profession in which getting people's feedback about writing and writing clearly and concisely etc are some of the most valued skills. I also work on board game design, including rule writing, as a hobby (albeit I don't to be honest have anything to show for that lol...).

So I would like to offer/ask permission to:

Start a thread inviting people to express what questions they have or points of unclarity they find in the rules, and

write up a draft of the rules responsive to those concerns.

If there might be any interest among the powers that be in considering the result as a possible official revision, please let me know. :)

ElVincente wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:25 pm
Please enter ! Experimental tracks rarely score that high but interesting comments, experience and knowledge outvalue largely raking imo, and these you'll probably get !
Yes, the ranking is not important for me. I want to do it because it provides me a reason to delve deeper into Surge XT. Music is a hobby but it's still funny how having a deadline and a goal work well for productivity/improvement versus mindless obsession.

Thanks to all the others who chimed in that I didn't reply to specifically. You made it clear that this is a nice community.

Rahodees wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:15 pm I am not sure who specifically to DM about this but:

I think the rules are clear if read carefully and with certain background knowledge in place. With that said, enough people find them confusing in certain ways, that I think a revision for clarity would be useful. I work in a profession in which getting people's feedback about writing and writing clearly and concisely etc are some of the most valued skills. I also work on board game design, including rule writing, as a hobby (albeit I don't to be honest have anything to show for that lol...).

So I would like to offer/ask permission to:

Start a thread inviting people to express what questions they have or points of unclarity they find in the rules, and

write up a draft of the rules responsive to those concerns.

If there might be any interest among the powers that be in considering the result as a possible official revision, please let me know. :)
As a newcomer, I agree that the rules could be written more clearly. I think this is worth trying. My 2 cents.

As a rule of thumb, if your gut says that you shouldn't use specific plugin in OSC - don't use it :idea:

Oh cool, voting has started on the Surge OSC. Do we know the next month's synth yet?

Return to “Instruments”