Styx synths

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
susiwong
KVRAF
3864 posts since 29 Feb, 2004

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:16 pm

Ok, looks like I found it, and as so often turns out everybody was a little bit right ! :)
(for Grand Illusion) Dennis had aquired a new synth called an Oberheim SEM 4 Voice, and began using it on every song, along with the Hammond B3, Arp String Ensemble, Arp Oddesy, a Fender Rhodes, and Yamaha C3 grand piano. The HUGE synthesizers you here on this record are all Oberheim 4 Voice.
Pieces of Eight was released in 1978, on this record, Dennis used the same synths, except he upgraded to an Oberheim 8 Voice, and bought a couple of Oberheim OBX's.
and more,
The keyboard across from James Young is an Oberheim OB-1, and was only used to play the song "I'm OK" from the, at the time, unreleased Pieces of Eight album. As you know, "I'm OK" has the pipe organ in the studio recording (which was recorded at the Cathedral of St. James in Chicago). To re-create it live. Dennis DeYoung found that by mixing several different synthesizers, he could achieve a very similar sound live without having to haul around a pipe organ. The three instruments used togther were the Moog Taurus I bass pedals played by Chuck, the Oberheim OB-1 for the midrange section played by James Young, and the Arp String Ensemble for the high end played by Dennis DeYoung.
found here :
http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pages/Styx.htm
(I left out some irrelevant bits)
The author also states that in earlier days an ARP 2600 was being used.
Check out that site, has got some cool '70s tour photos, too, showing the mentioned equipment among others, plus some tasty '70s clothing !
Have fun, susiwong

Integratron
KVRAF
3466 posts since 17 Sep, 2006 from Fredericksburg, VA USA

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:37 pm

Tony Ostinato wrote:http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/description.html

theres the one i saw.

heres a thread about such:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=58624
Thanks for the tip Tony - This synth sounds gorgeous!

Peter999
KVRian
772 posts since 25 May, 2006

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:40 am

just wanted to post for you guys that two styx solo sounds have been added to the user library of the op-x

clips (sorry for the bad playing...):

Come Sail Away Solo
Fooling Yourself Solo

No 1: some tc native reverb plus delay added, No 2. waves true verb inserted (default prog)

there's also a demo compatible version if you want to check them out in the demo version - you can download it in the user area and load the bank then in the demo version (scroll down):
http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/userarea.html

direct download:
OP-X demo version
styx solo bank (demo compatible fxb)

---

--

susiwong
KVRAF
3864 posts since 29 Feb, 2004

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:11 am

Hey, cool, thanks Peter !
Cheers,
susiwong

Robertdsmn
KVRer
1 posts since 23 Nov, 2020

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 am

Hi there. I see these are very old posts at this point, but I have a question about what sounds were used on a particular part of Fooling Yourself by Styx and maybe someone here can help me out.
In the intro section of the song, there is that descending chord part that comes in after the signature main riff and just before the last chord leading into the acoustic guitar break.
I have a Roland Fantom X7 and I can’t find the right combination of patches to re-create that part.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sparqee
KVRer
2 posts since 23 Feb, 2014

Post Sat May 14, 2022 12:27 pm

Those chords sound to me like the B3 doubled with an ARP Solina (or some other synth) both going through a chorus or maybe a phase shifter.

Examigan
KVRAF
6688 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat May 14, 2022 2:06 pm

2006, 2020, 2022
No one mentioned "necro" here... except me :)

Just wanted to also mention Peter from Sonic Projects is an awesome preset designer. :party:

Teksonik
KVRAF
17054 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Sat May 14, 2022 2:42 pm

Sparqee wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:27 pm Those chords sound to me like the B3 doubled with an ARP Solina (or some other synth) both going through a chorus or maybe a phase shifter.
When tempted to dig up an old thread and respond, take note of the activity.

In this case the person you are responding to has only one post and has not been back to KVR since he made that post on Nov 23 2020.

So he's not likely going to see your post. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”