Flower Child Filter and Analog Distortion public beta

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Amazing sounds!

Cytomic take note, this is how analog filters should behave and sound.

Here's the hypersaw doing Orchestral mode.

symphonic saws (mp3) (yes this reverb will be included in the end product, yes I had to conclude this little composition with big drum hits for some reason it just had that vibe)

for years I wanted to properly implement this into a synth. FINALLY. Sometimes you gotta do it yourself.

Architeuthis wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:45 pm Here's the hypersaw doing Orchestral mode.

symphonic saws (mp3) (yes this reverb will be included in the end product, yes I had to conclude this little composition with big drum hits for some reason it just had that vibe)

for years I wanted to properly implement this into a synth. FINALLY. Sometimes you gotta do it yourself.
Sounds ace!

Do you have an approximate release date? Pricing?

P.S. I'm going to test out adding random delay the attack and release for each saw, then staccato-ing the hypersaw will actually sounds really sweet, fast staccatos, mmmm.

pricing: probably aiming for cheap and keeping the feature set small.

release date: I'm working with a programmer to put my DSP into a plugin, it's going to be up to him how fast we release something. ETA no idea

Proof of concept for a dedicated pluck envelope: pluck envelope demo (mp3)

Unfortunately no DSP has been made for this. I had to use host automation of the decay to get this effect. Will hopefully figure out the math/code in the future.

My computer can't handle hypersaw, humanized vibrato, and humanized attack/release all at once (also due to being in a prototyping environment), so here's a demo featuring just the new random attack/release times for sawtooths. For long notes attacks have a slow and tasty build up of sawtooth energy. For short staccato/arpeggio notes the attacks sound dispersed and more organic.

symphonic supersaw THE END demo (mp3)

Alright, cool, my idea for a pluck envelope panned out. P.S. not only have I been on the quest for a perfect supersaw (which I now have), but the perfect pluck is also a big deal to me. With this prototype I can dial in any extreme shape and then one knob to control how muted/dampened the pluck is. This envelope will also be great for bell-type sounds or any struck/hammered string or metal instrument that needs a long tail of resonance.

Quest for the perfect pluck continues.
pluck envelope prototype (mp3)

Edit: A proper musical demonstration of the hypersaw is coming, will blow your ears off.

Edit: I realize there is probably no perfect spreading of frequencies for the best supersaw. Using prime numbers sounds pretty good though. However, I now realize the best frequency spread is one that is flexible. It paid off in the "THE END" demo where the frequencies are spread in such a way that you get a few that are very out of tune but in practice it creates a really nice shimmer. And with the right curves/user interface you can dial in all kinds of interesting spreads.

Here's the thing guys, I really don't like idea of a filter as a standalone product. Flower Child Filter as a standalone (not inside a synth) is like ripping the heart out of a synth and selling it separately. It's not easy to dial in the sound you want when it's separate from a synth. There's much more ease of use and of course preset selection that would contribute to more fun and more productivity.

layered growls (mp3) Here's what two growly synths layered on top of each other sounds like. I wonder if I could include features to allow for this in the synth. I want this synth, when you load it for the first time, and hit one note, it blows you away with how big and aggressive it can sound.

Hopefully soon I'll have a prototype plugin.

Nobody has made a polyphonic filter FX yet. It's something I suggested for FabFilter Volcano 3 but they didn't implement it.

If we had a filter FX that had polyphony, that is, you could send it midi notes and each new note would trigger a new "audio branch", the filter would be a lot more powerful and useful. This would allow you to use it in a proper audio chain and get nice interaction with other instruments.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Wait, I'm confused. Isn't it standard that you have an instance of a filter per voice? So, what is it that you are proposing that would be different? I was thinking of maybe having 4 simultaneous filter and 4 oscillators that you can route arbitrarily, so you could make a big voice modulating those filters differently and having oscillators at different octaves, but that's all for one voice.

I'd use the filter plugin more in the sense of an effect like a Sherman Filterbank is an effect. I might cave in and build a dedicated eurorack filter skiff. There are simply no good filter and distortion plugins (well, execpt for this tease :hihi: ).

yes, and I was very much inspired by sherman when I came up with the idea of Flower Child Filter standalone. But it lacks features. I'm becoming a more independent developer so maybe I'll redesign FCF one day. For now I want to make the product I actually want, which is an amazing subtractive synth that blows you away from the first note.

Here's the hypersaw demonstration I've been working on, it's near enough complete that I would like to share it:

- - - - - - - - - -
hypersaw pystrance arrangement 10.7 (mp3)
- - - - - - - - - -

So, the introductory melody and pad is from Dune3, then the supersaw hits and that's from Hydrus, then a huge hypersaw blast hits and that's Hydrus. Later in this section the lower cello-like sound is from Hydrus. Fast psytrance bassline is from Dune3 after the transition. Air raid siren is a hyper saw with some processing. Basically all the leads and screamy filters (except for one) is Hydrus. Dune3 is only briefly heard in this department here and there in the background.

Basically 2:38 and on is all Hydrus (except I use the fast repeating bassline from Dune3 pretty much the entire piece.)

and here's the filter of the day, a chirpy alternative to the superlove highpass filter for extra growl.

superlove highpass chirpy alt (mp3)
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sun May 15, 2022 3:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Architeuthis wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:01 am Wait, I'm confused. Isn't it standard that you have an instance of a filter per voice? So, what is it that you are proposing that would be different? I was thinking of maybe having 4 simultaneous filter and 4 oscillators that you can route arbitrarily, so you could make a big voice modulating those filters differently and having oscillators at different octaves, but that's all for one voice.
What I mean is this:

A VST FX plugin, that can react to MIDI notes. Every new MIDI note would trigger a "new" audio split, meaning the first voice of an incoming audio source that arrives into the FX plugin would get it's own filters, envelopes, LFOs etc. The next MIDI note would again trigger a new audio split, while still allowing the first audio source to be independent and tied to the first MIDI note until it's MIDI note-off message is triggered (which in turn would start the release cycle of the first streams envelope).

Basically an audio effects plugin that works exactly like a VSTi plugin, but instead using incoming audio to do the actual sound.

Mind you, this wouldn't be easy to pull off. Splitting audio smoothly into separate streams is not simple at all. Also, how would it be done with chords where MIDI notes are slightly out of sync? Probably the plugin needs to have built in input quantize and that way have a better chance of splitting the stream in a useful manner.

If somebody would figure this out, it'd allow us users to put this filter effect on any of our favorite synthesizers and still have it work sort of polyphonically, meaning each midi note would have it's own filter envelope being triggered and released upon note-off messages.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 pm Mind you, this wouldn't be easy to pull off. Splitting audio smoothly into separate streams is not simple at all. Also, how would it be done with chords where MIDI notes are slightly out of sync? Probably the plugin needs to have built in input quantize and that way have a better chance of splitting the stream in a useful manner.

If somebody would figure this out, it'd allow us users to put this filter effect on any of our favorite synthesizers and still have it work sort of polyphonically, meaning each midi note would have it's own filter envelope being triggered and released upon note-off messages.
The technology you're discussing is called audio source separation. It's nowhere near the level of being able to do this in real time, nevermind modelling multiple analog filters on top. You can see the current best in Celemony Melodyne's ability to separate individual notes, as well as Zynaptiq Pitchmap and Hit n Mix RipX (or whatever they're calling it these days). If you want to give it a spin you should look into those, but the results probably won't be what you desire.

Much better off splitting your chords into individual notes and running multiple passes.

Just stumbled on this thread.
Totally blown away by the audio examples.

Return to “Effects”