Question about hum while using compressor's output gain

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. I'm an owner of Alesis 3630 unit and enjoy the sound it has flavoring the things it touches; currently I do a paralell comp. using it about the full mix and merging the recorded signal through it to the original thing. I can't use the output gain for using as a limiter this unit, hum comes. I am also an owner of a Teyun Q-24 interface that's surprising me due to low-noise, but it features 2 TRS INS + 2 TRS/XLR INS and 2 RCA INS + 2 RCA OUTS. I will buy one Edifier MR4 pair and decided for TRS being for them; what rests? RCA outputs ... I was thinking right now about one DI Box converting RCA to balanced signal, but not only the outs of the Q-24 are RCA, the ins of Alesis are unbalanced, so won't work possibily, but yes for less noise when going back to the XLR/TRS ins from the interface.

Question 1:
RCA always causes hum or not necessarily? If I buy another compressor for example, can I use it linked to the RCA outs?
Question 2:
I use adapters for linking the RCA cable to the ins of Alesis 3630, if I used a proper RCA to TS cable would be better than adapting?
Question 3: I heard about calibrating the Alesis, it helps a lot?
Question 4: It's possible to modify the unit turning it balanced?

Thanks people!

A compressor is basically just an amp, which varies the gain all the time. If there is a tiny bit of hum in your source signal, it gets amplified to loads of hum.

Balanced cables won't help much with line levels and short cables. RCA cables and adapters don't introduce hum, unless they are broken. You might have a ground loop. Chances are the hum is hardly noticable in a full mix.

In short, this is why we work totally "in the box" these days.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I saw and my PSU is 2-pin and perhaps low quality, thinking about buying one that I saw mentioning no-hum and 3-pin, worths?

Look for higher specs in regards to mA well over what is needed.
And for analog gear, better not to have switched PSU, that frequency can enter analog circuits. They often wear a bit, to older ones go down to audible frequencies sometimes when worn down.

Just normal transformer are better for analog stuff.

Thank you you 2, but do you all believe that this newer PSU with 3-pin poles with no-hum statement and same specs of the paralell one I am using (2-pin pole) will be better?

Hum free equipment can be made with 2-prong power plugs, no problem. It's a simple matter of good engineering. The 3rd ground prong is there for safety reasons only, to save you from electrocution in case of severe malfunction.

The 3rd prong can be responsible for creating ground loops (and hum) in certain cases. One cure of ground loops is cut it through or isolate it (which can be illegal)

So I do not agree with that. Not to say these can be fine. But for other reasons than that 3rd prong.

but the noise can be the powersupply ?

Possible, but hard to prove (or debunk) from a distance.

BertKoor wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:33 pm Hum free equipment can be made with 2-prong power plugs, no problem. It's a simple matter of good engineering. The 3rd ground prong is there for safety reasons only, to save you from electrocution in case of severe malfunction.

The 3rd prong can be responsible for creating ground loops (and hum) in certain cases. One cure of ground loops is cut it through or isolate it (which can be illegal)

So I do not agree with that. Not to say these can be fine. But for other reasons than that 3rd prong.
Sorry my ignorance but I did not understand about the 3rd thing.

Clarification:
Mahzin93 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:34 pm do you all believe that this newer PSU with 3-pin poles with no-hum statement and same specs of the paralell one I am using (2-pin pole) will be better?
3-prong power adapters are safer, but can (not necessarily) introduce ground loops.

Like lfm said, it's more important they can deliver enough juice. Then chances of hum are lesser. But no guarantee. More parts, more variables, more potential headaches.

but my idea was not to use an adapter, but switch the paralell 2-pin powersupply I use for one 3-pin powersupply (not adapter) sold in Amazon, the problem exists for that case too?

I looked at Alesis site, and power says 9V AC meaning external powersupply is just a transformer.

Doubt that will fix any hum making protective earth. You usually notice just touching chassis if any change in hum if that is the case. If a change you can even fool system by connecting chassis separately to ground on equipment. Just a cable attached to a screw on either part.

I would experiment with level for input and output instead. There is a switch for input between -10 dBV or +4 dBu and same for output level.

See where noise floor is on your daw when no signal through, you usually have peak indicator on a track. With line level stuff you usually have at least -80 dBFs or so.

Then raise make up gain on Alesis and see what happends and if altered touching chassis etc.

If you run +4 dBu out and interface is -10 dBV you might set levels on Alesis so noise floor way higher than needed, so you experience hum earlier.

Or check out specs for interface and set accordingly.

If persists and unit is really old, it could be some electrolytic capacitors inside is not that good anymore. They age and don't perform so well and create 50/60 hz ripple higher than when new.

Another clarification: a power supply is the same as a power adapter.

+1 to what lfm said above. Issues like these are hard to diagnose from a distance.

I saw that my socket is 110v not 220v, the PSU was setted to 220v haha, it's working a lot better.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”