Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

teilo wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:30 pm What an amazing company. None of their legacy products are available for sale, but they still updated nearly everything for their existing customer base.
Agreed. Artemiy is one of the good guys.

On the iOS apps question, I think it would be too much work to start including them. There's going to be so many. I wonder if it would be easier to document the iOS apps that block running on macOS. Maybe there are less of those? I don't know.
Image Image Image Image

teilo wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 pm
Pinku Eiga wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:47 am Talking about iPad apps that can be installed on M1 Macs and run natively, Drambo is one of the most powerful modular synthesizers and it runs flawlessly on Mac. Also, after the recent 2.0 update released last week, now in addition to an experimental modular synth, a groovebox and an
I'm conflicted on whether I want to add iOS/iPad apps to the mix. They would only really work in Logic, aren't officially supported, and it's a real crap shoot as to which work stably. The best we can do is rely on user reports.

What do people think?
Not something I would be interested in and probably more of a niche area compared to VST/AU plugin updates for all DAWs. I think you have enough work maintaining the main database without adding extras in!

Yeah I kind of agree, don’t think enough people use them to make them worth adding. Also, Antares’ support just confirmed to me that Auto-Tune Pro will be getting an update to make it Apple Silicon native shortly, thankfully.

Another couple of updates at full bucket music:

FB Brigade Delay ‑ v2.0.0
Grain Strain ‑ v1.1.0
Image Image Image Image

Filterstep 1.1.2 by Audiomodern is now Universal

Pinku Eiga wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:47 am Talking about iPad apps that can be installed on M1 Macs and run natively, Drambo is one of the most powerful modular synthesizers and it runs flawlessly on Mac. Also, after the recent 2.0 update released last week, now in addition to an experimental modular synth, a groovebox and an
I'm conflicted on whether I want to add iOS/iPad apps to the mix. They would only really work in Logic, aren't officially supported, and it's a real crap shoot as to which work stably. The best we can do is rely on user reports.

What do people think?
I vote to keep it pure.

What do people think?
Of course, they need to be tested, and the database can't contain all iOS apps, because most of them are broken or with some caveats.

But there are exceptions, when an app is 100% functional, with the same functionality of iOS, running flawlessly.

In the case of Drambo, I have this installed. They have even included dedicated AUv3 units specific to work correctly in Logic. That by the way, it's a thing that I don't give a shit, because my main DAW is Bitwig, that can't even load normal Audio Units.

But using Drambo inside a DAW is a secondary use. It was originally designed as a groovebox for sound design and experimentation, letting you to create complete tracks inside the app, recording separated stems of audio.

It's not different from Bespoke Synth: a standalone modular synthesizer.

Even more, since the 2.0 update, the hosting of other AUv3 iOS units also works flawlessly, and now you can open the plugins instances in floating windows that can be resized, so no more problems with the visualization.

Other iOS app that should be in the database is Different Drummer. It's an experimental drum sequencer, intended to be used as a standalone app, to sequence external apps. There is not AUv3 unit version in iOS or Mac. But the intended use, connect this to tracks of your DAW to create weird and moving drum or synths patterns, it works in Mac in the same way as in iOS.

And there is nothing in the plugin market that can be compared to this. Indeed, it's one of the best arguments to choose a Mac over a Windows computer. Because it can run Different Drummer.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/different ... d525272276

All that said, things like Drambo or Different Drummer are exceptions. Never think in buying an iOS app compatible with Mac if your intended use is Mac. Because in 90% of cases it won't work, or it will come with some limitations.

Teilo, I thank you for what you have done gathering this information. My advice is avoid the slippery slope of adding iOS apps. Anyone with iOS apps that run on M1 macs is already notified, via the App Store. That's how I found out, when I was surprised that Animoog Z was available to install on my Mac. If you do feel inclined to head down that slope, you might consider a separate thread and db. Just my $.02.

kidslow wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:58 pm Teilo, I thank you for what you have done gathering this information. My advice is avoid the slippery slope of adding iOS apps. Anyone with iOS apps that run on M1 macs is already notified, via the App Store. That's how I found out, when I was surprised that Animoog Z was available to install on my Mac. If you do feel inclined to head down that slope, you might consider a separate thread and db. Just my $.02.
Animoog Z has a VST3 and Audio Unit wrapper available in the Moog web, so the AUv3 units can be loaded inside any DAW, including Ableton or Bitwig.

Also, it's not an iOS app, but an Universal app, so it can be searched in the normal Mac app store, without selecting the tab of iOS/iPad apps.

Unless you're saying that Mac apps coming from the Mac App Store also should be excluded. Like if these are super easy to find for someone that doesn't know them. In a convoluted store with one the worst search algorithms.

I am aware of all this, especially how crappy the App Store searching is. My point is that I purchased Animoog Z for iOS when it came out without any knowledge of it being available on the desktop. I found out that it was via the App Store. If you own an app that you purchased for iOS then you will be notified if it is available for installation on your Mac, via the App Store on your Mac. There is nothing obscure about that process. Trying to find what iOS apps are like this before buying them however is very obscure. Teilo can decide how to handle these things. I just offered my two cents.

kidslow wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:21 pm I am aware of all this, especially how crappy the App Store searching is. My point is that I purchased Animoog Z for iOS when it came out without any knowledge of it being available on the desktop. I found out that it was via the App Store. If you own an app that you purchased for iOS then you will be notified if it is available for installation on your Mac, via the App Store on your Mac. There is nothing obscure about that process. Trying to find what iOS apps are like this before buying them however is very obscure. Teilo can decide how to handle these things. I just offered my two cents.
Other thing to note: Animoog Z also works in Intel Macs.

Hence my point that a Universal app is a completely different thing.

Indeed, not all the Universal apps (compatible with iOS and MacOS, available on both parts of the store), are M1 native in Mac.

There are examples like miRack, a Universal app that you can install on MacOS, that it only runs through Rosetta 2.

In the case of the Universal apps, it's essential that they are in the database. Because it's the only way of knowing if they are ARM native, and not wasting your money.

Boomlibrary Enrage 1.3.9 & others native …
https://www.boomlibrary.com/sound-effects/enrage/

Thanks to Teilo for all the invaluable information. Also thanks to Pinku regarding AUv3 infos…

To be clear: I already DO include AppStore apps that are designed for Mac, and I have Animoog Z listed. That these apps may be Catalyst apps that also run in iPad/iOS is irrelevant for our purposes.

It is only the iOS/iPad apps that I am talking about. My executive decision is that I will not include them at this time. I'll revisit later.

Pinku Eiga wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 pm In the case of the Universal apps, it's essential that they are in the database. Because it's the only way of knowing if they are ARM native, and not wasting your money.
None of this is "essential" and I am thankful that Teilo is helping out the community by aggregating the data at all. Seems like there is an opportunity for you to create a database of iOS apps that are ARM native.

re: Boomlibrary, from the newsletter (2022-05-13)
"
As part of a maintenance update, we have released new versions of the following applications:

ENFORCER V1.2.9
ENRAGE V1.3.9
GRIP V1.0.6
LIFTFX V1.0.9
RECENTER V1.0.9
TURBINE V1.1.6
UBERLOUD V1.1.3

"

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”