Do you prefer a mouse or controller with your DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When you guys are mixing, do you prefer a mouse, touch screen (tablet) or control surface when mixing? I have Studio One remote, but it's alright on my ipad. Maybe a single channel faderport or touchscreen monitor I was thinking.

I have a Console 1 and I think it's great.

Since I don't have a mixing console, I guess the good ol' mouse will have to suffice.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

I would have said that I don't really care that much personally, but then I got Akai Fire for my DAW and replaced my soundcard with a Soundcraft 12fx, and it has changed how I work. I like the tactile stuff much more now, both into the computer and out of it.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I use a mouse and Novation Launchkey.

Most keyboards have a mode where you can control the tracks volume, pan, mute/solo, fx sends etc.

Mouse

I use Logic Remote on my iPad and also a Magic Mouse2 and Magic TrackPad2, which are both great for scrolling, zooming, etc.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Mouse.

I've got Ableton Push right at my hand, but still prefer to do the work with mouse. It's all about understanding the issue and precise countermeasures, controller is not helpful here.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

You'd have to have rocks in your head not to use a mouse. It's precise in ways a controller can never be and it does everything. i.e. It's easy to work without a controller but it doesn't matter how good your controller is, you'll still need a mouse. Of course, Mac users will be a lot less likely to use a mouse because all they've ever experienced are shitful Apple peripherals but nothing beats a good gaming mouse when it comes to making life easy. I've owned a lot of different ones over the years but a while ago I settled on this little baby -

I've got one for work and another one for home. I'm thinking of getting third one as a back-up, because Mad Catz change their products all the time and I don't want to take any chances.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hands down a controller!!!
That you also need a mouse, and you could do all with a mouse means nothing. With a faderbox you can control several faders at once. I prefer the tactile physical feedback of a fader vs. a touch screen, which would be the second best option… (leave BONES in his bubble…)
You could operate a controller blind, close your eyes and just listen…

I prefer both
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

For mixing a mouse, what I find really useful is that the DAW and plugins respond to mouse scroll wheel. That actually infuriates me about Live.
dedication to flying

I haven't used a mouse in years. I switched trackballs years ago as I was sustaining damage from repetitive wrist motion. I find trackballs more precise and easier on the hands. I like the Logitech M570. I've got a herd of 'em. But they've been discontinued. So I guess I will eventually have to move on to another model. I also use an old JS Cooper CS-10 controller and Presonus Remote on a droid tablet.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Proper tools for the task. i use a controller with faders for live mixing, knobs on my controller for effects and synth parameters, but i use a mouse for most of the "clickey" stuff like menus, drop downs, knobs that i haven't mapped and other stuff. It's often the difference between playing live and "producing."
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”