Oberheim OB-X8

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aliens wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:57 pm Not interested in a 6k synth, not because I can't afford one, but my hardware days are long behind me, with my only piece a 61 key controller. It's nice, and with a lotto win, I'd happily have one, a p10 and moog1 to look at while they gather dust, just because.

If I were to go out the box again, with my 6k, I'd prefer four of Behringer's sub 1.5k versions of the p5, obx-a, cs80 etc. especially if they're all 16 voice poly and bi-timbral - Like having 8x 8 voice classics.
1) that seems to be a very long wait as they’ve yet to ship a single VCO polysynth (I’m sure they will… some day)

2) the latest UB-Xa video isn’t encouraging to anyone waiting… in fact, it’s discouraging
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Sun May 15, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Ub-Xa there are other videos than Andertons that play rather nice presets, in the Ub-Xa thread. The one from Behringer where developer speaks a bit is rather sweet sounds IMO.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:20 pm
Aliens wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:57 pm Not interested in a 6k synth, not because I can't afford one, but my hardware days are long behind me, with my only piece a 61 key controller. It's nice, and with a lotto win, I'd happily have one, a p10 and moog1 to look at while they gather dust, just because.

If I were to go out the box again, with my 6k, I'd prefer four of Behringer's sub 1.5k versions of the p5, obx-a, cs80 etc. especially if they're all 16 voice poly and bi-timbral - Like having 8x 8 voice classics.
1) that seems to be a very long wait as they’ve yet to ship a single VCO polysynth (I’m sure they will… some day)

2) the latest UB-Xa video isn’t encouraging to anyone waiting… in fact, it’s discouraging
Nothing you wrote changes the thoughts in my post, even the dodgy Andertons' video.

Aliens wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:41 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:20 pm

Nothing you wrote changes the thoughts in my post, even the dodgy Andertons' video.
OK. :tu:

At this point in my life, closer to the end than the beginning, I go for quality over quantity - not just in synths. But that's me. There's definitely a cost associated with that, that's for sure. Generally worth it, though. When and if I can afford the instruments I want, I get them. (To which you may reply, "OK. :tu:").

In the instance of if I were going out the box again, to meet my wants, it would definitely be quantity over quality - 4 decent sound-a-like dinosaurs for the price of one future classic. It would be the better all round tonal palette option.

Of course what you, I, or anyone else considers important, relevant or vital doesn't come into it.
What I play doesn't affect your music and vice versa.
It's great we have options.

I was just checking out the Anderton's demo of the UBXa and have to admit...jeez they've thrown a shitload of functionality in there. Quite extensive and field-leading IMO, especially if they release at under US$1500 which is what they're saying. Shame I generally just don't like the sound of it that much. Sure, it's capable of some good stuff but it still sounds a bit dull - just like most other Obies IMO. I'm not hearing much different than what you'd get with a bog standard Juno filter - just no character. From limited OBX8 demos I can find - I think the Behringer one pips it just because it offers more functionality - the sound and whether it's an exact Obie is irrelevant IMO - close enough to not care. UBXa gives poly aftertouch (doesn't interest me, but I'm sure it interests others), poly portamento - that is really not common and a superb option, all the age modes - really varied, then the playing options (extra LFO etc). Dunno why anyone would spend $6k on a X8 when you can get the UBXa for exactly 1/4 of the price (if and when it comes out - they ain't gonna release to people like Anderton's if it isn't going to happen though).

Have to admit the UBXa tempts me more for all the gizmos it has. But I prefer character monos and simpler synths rather than kitchen sink polys that don't shine. call me a heathen, but I just find the whole Obie filter thing quite vanilla and dull. Yeah you could squeeze interesting sounds out of it but you'd have to work hard to get them. I'm sure jazz-hippy-prog funksters love them...you could play all manner of thick and creamy but tedious shite on them all day long. :hihi:

kritikon wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:58 pm I was just checking out the Anderton's demo of the UBXa and have to admit...jeez they've thrown a shitload of functionality in there. Quite extensive and field-leading IMO, especially if they release at under US$1500 which is what they're saying. Shame I generally just don't like the sound of it that much. Sure, it's capable of some good stuff but it still sounds a bit dull - just like most other Obies IMO. I'm not hearing much different than what you'd get with a bog standard Juno filter - just no character. From limited OBX8 demos I can find - I think the Behringer one pips it just because it offers more functionality - the sound and whether it's an exact Obie is irrelevant IMO - close enough to not care. UBXa gives poly aftertouch (doesn't interest me, but I'm sure it interests others), poly portamento - that is really not common and a superb option, all the age modes - really varied, then the playing options (extra LFO etc). Dunno why anyone would spend $6k on a X8 when you can get the UBXa for exactly 1/4 of the price (if and when it comes out - they ain't gonna release to people like Anderton's if it isn't going to happen though).

Have to admit the UBXa tempts me more for all the gizmos it has. But I prefer character monos and simpler synths rather than kitchen sink polys that don't shine. call me a heathen, but I just find the whole Obie filter thing quite vanilla and dull. Yeah you could squeeze interesting sounds out of it but you'd have to work hard to get them. I'm sure jazz-hippy-prog funksters love them...you could play all manner of thick and creamy but tedious shite on them all day long. :hihi:
Seems really easy to get great sound out of the OB-X8 - you must not be keeping up on video demos (not that you have to, but you should also say you chose not to keep up so that people know how far back your base of knowledge is). Are you sure you weren't just watching the Anderton's video again, instead?

You also seem ignorant of what the OB-X8 offers. Feature checklists are generally not the best reason to buy a synth... I know I never would do that. I focus on the instrument, the sound, and the musicality. But, to each their own.

kritikon wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:58 pm
...but I just find the whole Obie filter thing quite vanilla and dull. Yeah you could squeeze interesting sounds out of it but you'd have to work hard to get them.
Filter is also about the curve the envelopes have. What Behringer did right about DeepMind was fully configurable curves for all envelopes, makes quite a difference for the same filter.

Guessing an UB-Xa 8 voice would appear in a year after 16 voice or so, then I'm inline for one. Second tier over DM6 and my Wavestate will be put away for the few occasions.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:20 am
Seems really easy to get great sound out of the OB-X8 - you must not be keeping up on video demos (not that you have to, but you should also say you chose not to keep up so that people know how far back your base of knowledge is). Are you sure you weren't just watching the Anderton's video again, instead?

You also seem ignorant of what the OB-X8 offers. Feature checklists are generally not the best reason to buy a synth... I know I never would do that. I focus on the instrument, the sound, and the musicality. But, to each their own.
I haven't watched any Anderton's demo of the OBX8 - none that I could find. Why on earth would you assume because I don't like Oberheims that I am outdated? Seems a bizarre thing to say. You like it, I don't, so I must be some old geezer stuck in the 60's? Seriously...that's pathetic. It's rather the other way around - nostalgia seems to be the only thing going for the OBX8. I specifically said I won't be getting one precisely because I don't find the sound anything to write home about...the features are the only things on the X8 that would tempt me but the Behringer one offers more IMO. But nowhere near enough to make me want to buy one. Every Oberheim I've ever heard or played on sounds pretty dull to me. That doesn't make me wrong and you right. :roll:

Easy to get great sound out of an OBX8 - if you like that type of sound. Not everyone does.

OB-Xa vs OB-X8?

I'm sure an OB-X8 would be great. It has a lovely resonance. I think the OB-Xa sounds better though. It's a fuller, more rounded sound. I think this makes the OB-X8 sounds pretty modern and hifi in comparison.

These videos are quite a good comparison I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA8XLhd5P3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OajB5WUMa1M

_leras wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:36 pm OB-Xa vs OB-X8?

I'm sure an OB-X8 would be great. It has a lovely resonance.
The resonance of the OB-X is absolutely unique. To be heard in the second sound demo you posted, second and fourth sound.

chk071 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:57 pm

The resonance of the OB-X is absolutely unique. To be heard in the second sound demo you posted, second and fourth sound.
I really like it, but also wonder if it's a bit too much. I expect it can be dialed down, otherwise, it's almost like an effect in some ways....

_leras wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:58 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:57 pm

I really like it, but also wonder if it's a bit too much. I expect it can be dialed down, otherwise, it's almost like an effect in some ways....
The sound of the resonance on the OB-X8 is its best feature! It's really silky smooth (unlike the shrill shite that passes for resonance on most plugins). This is what a great filter should sound like.

About resonance I get having some in there, but having self oscillating I cannot say I get at all. Possibly to turn up manually as an effect for an ending note in a solo or something.

But that is me.

Having it on every note in a preset make me more like puking...there was one factory preset in Prologue named Vertigo or something that had it layered and delayed if really long note as I recall, also classified as SFX category.

I'm sure an OB-X8 would be great. It has a lovely resonance. I think the OB-Xa sounds better though. It's a fuller, more rounded sound. I think this makes the OB-X8 sounds pretty modern and hifi in comparison.

These videos are quite a good comparison I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA8XLhd5P3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OajB5WUMa1M
It does sound very nice. :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”