One Synth Challenge #159: Surge XT (j5v Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

It's not a bug, those LFO presets all disable the LFO EG. You can enable it by right clicking any of LFO EG sliders, the option to toggle it is there.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:23 am It's not a bug, those LFO presets all disable the LFO EG. You can enable it by right clicking any of LFO EG sliders, the option to toggle it is there.
Oh sorry about that then. Thanks a lot for the tip :) !

Hello, found some free time and did this:

https://soundcloud.com/krzysk124i/kvrosc159-2

22 instances of Surge XT VST.
2 Fruity Compressors and Fruity EQ2's.
3 Grossbeat(used for sidechaining only)
no wavetables use at all.
Another cool plugin. Thanks!
Last edited by krzysk124i on Fri May 20, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

...But this is a Surge XT OSC, not Whispair OSC?

@EvilDragon / @BaconPaul
Probably I missed the section in the manual ... but is there a way to link lfo speed to the notes played, at least in lower registers?
I know the lfos can go up to a few 100 hz... can I map them in a easy way that for any A key coming in they use 220 Hz and for other keys the respective frequency "around" 220hz? So for A3, A4, A5,... the Lfo uses 220 hz? For B3, B4, B5 the frequenzy of the B above 220 Hz...

Second question: I'm curious about CLAP. Would it be possible to build a per-voice Modulator for Bitwig with it?

Thanks for your help ...

] Peter:H [ wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:02 am @EvilDragon / @BaconPaul
Probably I missed the section in the manual ... but is there a way to link lfo speed to the notes played, at least in lower registers?
I know the lfos can go up to a few 100 hz... can I map them in a easy way that for any A key coming in they use 220 Hz and for other keys the respective frequency "around" 220hz? So for A3, A4, A5,... the Lfo uses 220 hz? For B3, B4, B5 the frequenzy of the B above 220 Hz...
You can keytrack the rate, but as far as I've been able to find there isn't a straight-forward way to modify the response curve. However, your question did give me an idea: Perhaps we can use a formula LFO to determine the response curve. The formula can access its control parameters like rate or deform to calculate its output. Keytrack one of those values, use that to determine the note number, and output the amount of modulation you want to apply to your other LFO's rate (or just calculate the final LFO curve directly in the formula). This might be kind of a pain, but it could be a work around if there isn't some simpler way.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:02 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:02 am @EvilDragon / @BaconPaul
You can keytrack the rate, but as far as I've been able to find there isn't a straight-forward way to modify the response curve. However, your question did give me an idea: Perhaps we can use a formula LFO to determine the response curve. The formula can access its control parameters like rate or deform to calculate its output. Keytrack one of those values, use that to determine the note number, and output the amount of modulation you want to apply to your other LFO's rate (or just calculate the final LFO curve directly in the formula). This might be kind of a pain, but it could be a work around if there isn't some simpler way.
In current surge yeah that's how you would do it. Tutorial 06 shows how to use the key number to generate an output modulator signal.

In a future version of surge, we really hope to have more intuitive modulation manipulators (basically functions in the edges of the modulation graph). but it's not the future yet

baconpaul wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:50 am In current surge yeah that's how you would do it. Tutorial 06 shows how to use the key number to generate an output modulator signal.
Ah, nice, thanks. I didn't realize you could just get the key number directly from the modstate, as "key" wasn't listed as a parameter you could access in the manual. That's easier to work with.

It took me a while to find those tutorials. I got sidetracked looking for them on the internet before I finally saw they're in the patch browser (under "Tutorials" in the Functions column, in case anyone else is looking for them).
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

First off, my apologies if this (possible) bug has already been addressed. Here's my issue:

After loading an instance of the VST3i version of XT in my daw (Reaper 6.57 running on OSX), any time I reopen the plugin, the GUI window size is tiny (54%). I've set the default zoom to different values (125%, 150%, etc), but when I go to reopen the plugin, it defaults back to 54%. This specific problem resolves itself if I use the AU instead.

I fully admit that the issue may be with me and not the synth, so I welcome any insights. Thanks.

Update: it seems that what triggers this issue is when I pull up the plugin specifically from the mixer panel in Reaper (as opposed to the track control panel).

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:15 pm ...But this is a Surge XT OSC, not Whispair OSC?
Sure it is. I improved the description. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/baronbodissey/os ... al_sharing
Here's my entry. Submitting so early because I'm going on vacation. 25 instances of SurgeXT. I used ReaEQ a few times and Valhalla Supermassive I think once on the instances. Lots of SurgeXT effects of course.
On the Master-Luftikus, ReaEQ, TDR Kotelnikov, AI StereoControl, IVGI2 Klangheim, Span, LoudMax.
14.3? LUFS I think it was.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:02 am Second question: I'm curious about CLAP. Would it be possible to build a per-voice Modulator for Bitwig with it?
I missed this question

The answer is "yes". https://youtu.be/uIN8DhAytgw shows polyphonic modulators, and https://youtu.be/p7K7vqhpndA shows note expressions. That all works in BWS 4.3 beta 2 with the surge nightly. (I just pushed the last change for one or two edge cases so the nightly 2 hours from now will be your best bet, but those videos were done with the code a week or two ago). [The latest nightly is exposed to a clap note expression volume scaling issue in BWS 43beta2 which will be fixed in the next BWS release]

Wow this is great! Very nice that you joined forces with the Bitwig team.

Btw. how do I enable CLAP support in 4.3b2?

Google is your friend :)

Hey guys! Don't forget to use these FREE Surge presets: https://newloops.com/pages/free-surge-presets

Good Luck! :D

Return to “Instruments”