Airwindows StereoDoubler: Mac/Windows/Linux/Pi AU/VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-etz5qlqJEs

TL;DW: StereoDoubler is like GlitchShifter optimized for pitch shift doubling and tripling.

StereoDoubler.zip(640k)

StereoDoubler is another retro plugin I've had for a while, that is now available as open source and VST2 and M1 Mac and Raspberry Pi and so on. It's using the basic concept of Glitch Shifter, so I should explain what that is first.

Glitch Shifter is my plugin for doing pitch shifting (and feedback on it, if you like) in a different way. Instead of smoothly interpolating over relatively small loops of sound to pitch shift, it works with potentially much larger loops, and searches for spots where it can seamlessly (or near-seamlessly) switch over without ever blending or blurring the sound. For that reason, it's more up front and edgy, more personality, but it can also disconnect from the source audio in weird ways or glitch out like mad, hence the name.

StereoDoubler's like two of those, tamed. Well, mostly tamed. It takes the source audio, and gives you a pitched-up version in one channel, a pitched-down version in the other, and lets you bring in dry for a center channel if you want. Because it's still Glitch Shifter, it'll give you faint ticking noises if it's struggling to make its loops work, but it's a lot tighter and more normal than Glitch Shifter usually is, and it's simultaneously shifting up and down so the two sides will each have their own distinct glitch 'personality' while being as upfront and direct as they possibly can.

I hope you like it. Sometimes taking a wild experiment and reining it in a bit, is just the thing. StereoDoubler isn't meant to work on every possible situation, it's designed to be amazing when it's in its element. Maybe your mix is its element :D

download 64 Bit Windows VSTs.zip
download Signed M1/Intel Mac AUs.dmg
download Signed M1/Intel Mac VSTs.dmg
download LinuxVSTs.zip
download LinuxARMVSTs.zip for the Pi
download Retro 32 Bit Windows VSTs.zip
download Retro PPC/32/64 Mac AUs.zip
download Retro PPC/32/64 Mac VSTs.zip
Mediafire Backup of all downloads
All this is free and open source under the MIT license, brought to you by my Patreon.

I haven't made music or played around with plugins, in 3-4 years. However, I'm still on the Patreon for a small amount, each month... mostly because you deserve it (and I can afford it), and the little bit of time that I did spend with using FOSS airwindows plugins was amazing... but also because I plan on eventually returning to production... and these will undoubtedly be at the core of the digital side of what I will possibly do.

I look forward to the plans of new things coming out, and I strongly look forward to hearing more of your sounds. You may not get a ton of attention for your music, in the nowadays online world... but that stuff will be here for generations to come... to stumble upon and be like "wow, this was ahead of it's time". Can't wait for more rocky types of sounds, drums, and the minimalistic version of what you'll do.

Live on, Chris J.

Live on, brother.

Live on.

And, may you continue to find love and happiness, with your lady friend. And, may you find continued success, credit, and praises from the online audio plugin using community.

On the note of moving a stereo track to mono, what you explained sounds perfect... but there was a company that came out with a paid version, called "monoizer". I don't think it did exactly what you're talking about, though. I'm assuming that flipping the phase of (the right side) channel will happen within the DAW... or could it happen within the plugin?

It would happen within the plugin :)

Nice on vocals, especially pushing the detune. Well done! :tu:

Serendipity. I'm doing a stereo doubler of a synth right now (manually), where I ended up having three tracks, to sort of get where I wanted. It is a pain to adjust three VSTi's of the same preset (with some pitch variation) + the three FX chains that goes with it (each side + mono)... Other stereo doubler plugins often have artifacts that I don't like, so I will try StereoDoubler right now. :)

Thank you!

Edit: It doesn't behave well for me, using it on a bell-sound. The plugin seems to shift unexpectedly. The delay of the Sides are variating randomly. I'm not moving any parameters. Also some nasty artifacts/clicks is heard. I didn't hear this in your demo. I'm using Cubase here.
Example here:
stererodoubler_weird_behaviour.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

As Chris says in the video, it's based on the glitch-shifter technology, which looks for zero-cross moments to reduce the click generated by a sudden move from 1 sample value to another. I suspect it's this feature you are experiencing as an unwanted artifact. Bells tend to be quite clean noises so any artifacts pop out a bit more than they would in, say, Chris' example guitar from the vid.

If you're working with MIDI, I'd probably do the double at that level; micro-timing adjustments, random pitch-bend movements triggered on each note..a slow-moving low-depth vibrato over the audio, .. if it's physically modeled, a small change in parameters and MIDI timing on each 'double'..

If you're working with an audio signal, I'd probably start with your regular micro-shifters like soundtoys or UltraChannel micro-shift function, but as soon as you start cutting it up into little pieces to pitch it up or down, you'll lose precision of the signal, and little 'pings' at the start of your bell sound could be lost..

I'm waffling

But you're right, CinningBao: it's cutting the sound up into little pieces, pitching it up and down, and using the GlitchShifter tech to try and transition directly between sections of audio without crossfades. Sounds like your advice is really good. StereoDoubler is pushing its tech as hard as possible in one direction to avoid 'blurring and softening' artifacts in another, so it will work on some things and not (or not as you expect) on other things :D

use inverted crossover for the control signal. hp for lp and lp for hp so to prevent feedback from an lfo control signal causing feedback. It goes beyond clicks.

Return to “Effects”