Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro
User avatar
Biome_Digital
KVRAF
2043 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 pm

They are 2 of the best sounding synths, no doubt. I can happily use TAL, and Arturia too though.

SLiC
KVRAF
8884 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed May 18, 2022 10:51 pm

It’s obviously all subjective, I own them both but rarely use them as I am just bored of the sound of simple subtractive synths with fairly limited modulation…I much prefer modern synths not tied to old hardware paradigms. I find hybrid synths that have the option to mix VA, FM, Samples and WT much more useful and interesting…Zebra HZ is still the UHE synth I use the most…looking forward to 3!
PC + S49, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack + OXI One, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals (Zoia, Beebo)

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
12103 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Thu May 19, 2022 5:45 am

SLiC wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:51 pm It’s obviously all subjective, I own them both but rarely use them as I am just bored of the sound of simple subtractive synths with fairly limited modulation…I much prefer modern synths not tied to old hardware paradigms. I find hybrid synths that have the option to mix VA, FM, Samples and WT much more useful and interesting…Zebra HZ is still the UHE synth I use the most…looking forward to 3!
I picked up HZ when it came out too. It’s really nice having those filters, although a bit clumsily tacked on. No osc mod input. I hope those things are resolved in v3, which seems to be only a few decades away. I’m sure they’ll get to it as soon as they release a few more Eurorack modules. :lol:

But having it, and later a Prophet 6, I sold my Diva license. I wasn’t using it that much and it seemed like I had everything covered… but then I bought it a second time during a NI sale. It’s simple, but it does have some tricks up it’s sleeve. The modifier section is pretty unique in the synth world, and I think it doesn’t really get talked about enough. It probably doesn’t get used that much either. Probably due to it being poorly implemented. Who wants to look at a display that says your filter is being modulated by “add?” :lol:

Anyway, I’m looking forward to a new Zebra, but I’m also interested in a new Diva. It’s been a long time since we saw a new version of that. I’d love to see a version that has an Ultra-Devine mode, where audio rate modulation would sound better. I’d love to see a few more classic filters and oscillator modules. (A PPG Wave oscillator and filter would be awesome.) I’d love for a few more LFOs and envelopes and a mod matrix. I’m not holding my breath, though. I suspect we’ll see a lot more Eurorack development before we see Zebra 3 or Diva 2.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
Urs
u-he
26669 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 am

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:45 amI suspect we’ll see a lot more Eurorack development before we see Zebra 3 or Diva 2.
Those things are connected.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9754 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Thu May 19, 2022 6:54 am

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:45 am The modifier section is pretty unique in the synth world, and I think it doesn’t really get talked about enough. It probably doesn’t get used that much either. Probably due to it being poorly implemented. Who wants to look at a display that says your filter is being modulated by “add?” :lol:
Not knowing how to use the Modifier section has been an issue for me for over a decade now. I have no idea how to get the most out of that section. Or really do much of anything with it. I've been through the manual a few times but that one just never connects with me.

It would be great if someone could do about a 20-minute video that explains how to use the Modifiers with practical examples.

...I do hope 2024 or 2025 brings us a Diva 2 with a proper mod matrix that is more easily digestible.

User avatar
teilo
KVRian
1479 posts since 30 Mar, 2008 from MN, USA

Post Thu May 19, 2022 6:59 am

Urs wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:45 amI suspect we’ll see a lot more Eurorack development before we see Zebra 3 or Diva 2.
Those things are connected.
:hyper:

Such a tease!
Apple Silicon Native Audio Software Database: https://asaudio.tech. KVR Discussion Topic.
CLAP Software Database: https://clapdb.tech. KVR Discussion Topic.

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
17237 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu May 19, 2022 7:11 am

zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:11 pm I think it’s safe to say that what the OP (now banned) was asking was “can anything compete with Diva and Repro in 2020 in the vintage analog synth emulation category.”
I think it's safe to say that digging up a two year old thread just to start up an argument again is a senseless waste of time. Especially since the OP is banned.

Certainly there is something more up to date we can argue about ? :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071
KVRAF
31916 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu May 19, 2022 7:20 am

Teksonik wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:11 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:11 pm I think it’s safe to say that what the OP (now banned) was asking was “can anything compete with Diva and Repro in 2020 in the vintage analog synth emulation category.”
I think it's safe to say that digging up a two year old thread just to start up an argument again is a senseless waste of time. Especially since the OP is banned.
And I think it's safe to say "yes" to the original question.

Whyever anyone would ask such a silly question.

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
37550 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Thu May 19, 2022 8:02 am

fine then...I can fix this.
No matter how much you push the envelope,it will always be stationary.

Return to “Instruments”