Flangers and phasers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Use these much? How? Prefer one to another? Any fav plugins? etc

Oh and any you know with settings that emulate popular songs that used? I haven't yet, but just starting to get into them.

Eventide Instant Phaser and Instant Flanger are my personal favourites.

But I probably use the BOSS BF-2 and MXR flanger, Phase 90 and Phase 100 models in AmpliTube more than anything else.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 am Eventide Instant Phaser and Instant Flanger are my personal favourites.

But I probably use the BOSS BF-2 and MXR flanger, Phase 90 and Phase 100 models in AmpliTube more than anything else.
Back in my hardware dayz i also rated the Eventide flanger as about the best along with the A/DA and the (noisy af) EH Electric Mistress (and the BF-2 and BF-2B). For Phase Shifter nothing was as good as my Mutron II and Bi-Phaser. I must have had 20 PSs including many modded and a few homebuilt.
Nowadays ITB i use the U-he Uhbik and Guitar rig (EH, MXR) mostly.

edit: forgot Valhalla Ubermod.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Arturia has a really nice Mu-Tron Bi-Phase model, and a Bel BF-20 flanger. I have both of these as well as the Plugin-Alliance ADA Flanger, which is also excellent.

If I'm using a flanger or phaser, I want it to be an authentic emulation of a specific piece of classic gear.

Audiority Dr Phase (free) is great, as is their new flanger pedal plugin that had been priced at $10, now to $20 (reg price) called Electric Matter. I have ADA Flanger but generally think Audiority’s sounds better.

Otherwise I use D16 Fazortan and Antresol.

Audio Damage Phase Two
d16 Antresol
Full Bucket Phaser
TAL Phaser and Flanger
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Not much new other than to echo what others have said. I've had lots of vintage hardware (Bi-Phase, bud box Phase 90, Reticon and SAD versions of A/DA Flanger, all versions of the Electric Mistress...and on and on).

In the box for Phaser I use the Arturia Bi-Phase, Audiority Dr. Phase, and some IKM stuff out of Amplitube. For flange, the PA A/DA of course. I do prefer tape flanging, but wish there was something more up to date besides the Waves plugin. The new Audiority Electric Matter is fun for the Mistress sounds.

I'd recommend first getting the Arturia FX collection. They sound really good (love the Juno Chorus and DMM!) and have been very useful.

Love the Eventide Instant ones. Still haven't found one that does quite what my trusty old BF-2 does though. That thing is just the magic flanger for me, its all those 80s post punk/death rock sounds I grew up listening to in a box. I'll have to check out that Dr Phase now, is that modeled after a Boss pedal as well? I love the HM-2 they did!

NI‘s mod pack is excellent. It’s easy to get wild and mangle sounds beyond recognition.

for some reason Admiral Quality's Stunning Phaser seems to rarely (if ever) get mentioned when people talk about great Phaser plugins -and the same goes for the Hofa one - so these are imo totally undeservedly extremely underrated....

http://www.admiralquality.com/product/stunning-phaser/

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/hofa ... usflanger/

The Hofa suite contains two excellent flangers too by the way.... and while on the subject: the free Valhalla Space Modulator is absolutely fantastic.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Admiral Quality had great potential. Emphasis on had. Mike went off the rails long ago and never got back on. Stunning Phaser has been in beta for 5 years, going on indefinitely.

mothra wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:57 pm Love the Eventide Instant ones. Still haven't found one that does quite what my trusty old BF-2 does though. That thing is just the magic flanger for me, its all those 80s post punk/death rock sounds I grew up listening to in a box. I'll have to check out that Dr Phase now, is that modeled after a Boss pedal as well? I love the HM-2 they did!
Dr. Phase is modeled after the MXR Phase 90.
If you're after the post-punk sounds of John McGeoch (and who isn't?) you want an MXR MX-117 Flanger.

jamcat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:09 am Admiral Quality had great potential. Emphasis on had. Mike went off the rails long ago and never got back on. Stunning Phaser has been in beta for 5 years, going on indefinitely.
Yeah, but "beta" in this case only means: no manual, no presets

The biggest change he wanted to make for V1 was reworking the GUI, but since everyone can see the current one in plain sight on the product-page and it is fully functional, that certainly is no argument per se againt the plugin either. You get what you see.

In other words: he decided to call it beta - for many other companies this however would be a full V1, perhaps even a V2 or V3, given how hard he worked on the beta and how much he added. It's actually quite similar to The Scream. I'm not quite sure what makes some people care so much about something as subjective and perhaps even arbitary as version naming.

Stability? Dunno - neither remember experiencing myself nor seeing others reporting any bugs since at least v 0.4.

The same doesn't go for every other plugin that's not been "beta" for a while though. One man's Alpha is another's V2.

Stunning Phaser is one of the best sounding and full featured Phaser plugins in it's current form and it is dead-cheap.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jamcat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:09 am Admiral Quality had great potential. Emphasis on had. Mike went off the rails long ago and never got back on.
Absolutely. Seems to have mental health issues. I hope he'll find a way.

"Beta" always stroke me as bad marketing, same for Cytomic. I associate "beta" with in development, not ready, buggy. I'll buy it when it's out of beta, thanks!

Thanks for the replies. People are mentioning fav plugins, but not how they're using them. Guitars? Vocals? Other? An entire song? Are you more heavy-handed or a lighter touch? etc

Return to “Effects”