What samplers have cut/cancel groups?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
lmv
KVRist
Topic Starter
156 posts since 23 Apr, 2015

Post Fri May 20, 2022 6:20 pm

I am looking for something specific: a sampler that supports a large number of samples and cut/cut-by groups. Obviously, I want to use it with drum samples and I want the ability to choke hihats.

I used to use a plugin called shortcircuit. I liked it because it supports a large number of samples. But it doesn't support groups and it's a very old plugin that has been discontinued so it won't be improved.

Then I moved to Poise. It supports groups very well, but only 16 sample slots at a time. Of course 16 drum samples is enough for any song, but I would like to build a super drumkit (like I did with shortcircuit) that I can always load into the DAW without worrying about loading a specific kit and always relying on the same MIDI notes across all my projects. It's just a matter of convenience really.

Do you know any sampler that fits that description?

Thank you for your advice.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
22594 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat May 21, 2022 5:37 am

Almost all of them do, really... TAL Drum, Battery, Kontakt, Falcon, HALion...

By the way, Shortcircuit is now open source and is under care of Surge Synth Team, so yes it will be improved! Also, Shortcircuit does support both groups and choke groups... Choke groups are in "Voice Mode" section in SC1, and in "Pitch etc" section in SC2.

lmv
KVRist
Topic Starter
156 posts since 23 Apr, 2015

Post Sat May 21, 2022 7:43 pm

That's great news! I never knew it was possible with shortcircuit. There are so many options, the GUI is not very intuitive and the manual is so terse. But I investigated the section you pointed out and I learned how to do it. It's working now. Thanks!

DSmolken
KVRAF
1968 posts since 20 Sep, 2013 from Poland

Post Tue May 24, 2022 2:45 am

Sforzando and sfizz (and possibly other sfz-compliant samplers) allow things like having more closed hi-hat hits mute more open ones, but not vice-versa. Which you probably don't need, but it does lead to having dozens of mute groups in some instruments I've made.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”