What cheap and not-a-toy keyboard for beginner?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to try to compose a song and I would like to do it on the keyboard / piano keyboard (and not through a tracker - this is the only way I know from the Amiga / Protracker times) and I only have 100 USD. What equipment should I use? It should cooperate with the computer, which means MIDI interface, am I thinking correctly? Maybe USB has replaced MIDI today? Overall, I would not like to crash into a toy for children, but I would also not like a clear MIDI / USB keyboard-only device, because I think some goodies/features (some faders etc.) can help stimulate creativity.

PS. I'm thinking of using Reaper DAW on linux.

In 100$ I would recommend to get a decent Midi usb keyboard. You can find higher quality used ones like Native Instruments for example and pair it with a computer & a daw.

For clarity: USB-connected keyboards are still using the MIDI protocol to communicate. The traditional standard midi connection uses 5-pin DIN.

There are reaonably-priced MIDI keyboards around that have USB and DIN connections; this allows them to also control hardware or be used as a USB interface with other gear, so is more versatile than USB-only.

Another good option on a budget is to look out for a used deal on an unfashionable (i.e. 90s) digital synthesizer. This will sometimes get you a better-quality keyboard than a modern budget controller, and you can add a cheap USB-DIN MIDI adaptor if needed.

I've not had much trouble using USB MIDI stuff with Linux, as it uses a standard documented protocol. However some equipment that goes beyond basic controller duties (e.g. Launchpad series, Komplete Kontrol) may require additional software "secret sauce" and be more trouble.

I recently upgraded from my very basic keyboard, I looked for something that felt good to play, in other words good action on the keys...also wanted something that was really easy to set up and was recognised by my software...
then i thought about what extras i would ideally want, like transport buttons, drum pads and mixing pots.
I opted for an M Audio which had all these for under 100 second hand.
I think 100 could get you something good,personally i think it's best to stick to the big name brands with a good reputation. Name brands will also be likely to have profiles within your software for compatibility.
Liker i say i went with Maudio...maybe others have experience of other brands

Is there something wrong with Acorn? Its model Masterkey 49 has 4 assignable potentiometers while Nectar GX 49 with a comparable price 8 assignable buttons, no rotary ones. Are buttons more useful maybe?

Have you considered the Yamaha Reface series? One of those models might suit your needs.

Why did you post the same thread twice?

viewtopic.php?p=8436196&sid=46075931b7d ... 2b7ca726f4

Perhaps a helpful mod can merge them?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”