Soundpaint now allows importing of user samples

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Soundpaint

Just downloaded the updated free engine today, and found this new feature very useful, especially because of Soundpaint’s easy morphing capabilities. It’s worth watching the tutorial on this at the Soundpaint site, which points out some good possibilities.

Edited to address sampling concerns below:
After having initial success importing 44K samples yesterday, today I found they are rejected in the user sample editor. 48K is all that's allowed. This is really screwy. Who uses 48K?
Last edited by concon on Wed May 25, 2022 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Very cool, limiting to only 48 k is annoying. Most sample libs are 44 k. Adds another unnecessary step.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Can the directory for the samples be changed?

EDIT: Nvm I found it.

woodsdenis wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:16 am Very cool, limiting to only 48 k is annoying. Most sample libs are 44 k. Adds another unnecessary step.
? It HAS to be 48k? Not 48k or less?

Which tool is the best to convert 44k into 48k ?

This is a cool feature. I need to install Bliss again, or are there better software to sample VST instruments, that aren't too expensive?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

mixyguy2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:35 am
woodsdenis wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:16 am Very cool, limiting to only 48 k is annoying. Most sample libs are 44 k. Adds another unnecessary step.
? It HAS to be 48k? Not 48k or less?
As of right now, it seems to be mandatory. Hard to imagine why they would choose this sample rate. It might be because their primary audience is film composers?

Using samples with the morph feature can lead to some very interesting results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qBTSKe6EOs

emulator01 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:20 am Which tool is the best to convert 44k into 48k ?
Babelson is free and ok, I use DSP Quattro mainly which is very good and can do loops and batch conversion.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I don't get the push to add this to soundpaint at all. It's not like it has any kind of decent feature set for samples - no timestretch, no key detection...the list goes on. Every single daw out there has a sampler which is 100x better than soundpaint. All the while, they still havent seen fit to add an undo feature to soundpaint. I guess it doesnt sound as sexy for marketing purposes.

I would argue that SP _does_ have a feature no other sampler has, and that is that it does not play back the raw audio files; it plays back the deconstructed and reconstructed analysis data, which are larger than uncompressed audio files. This data can be read at an arbitrary rate, which kind of makes it a spectral sampler, although, as you've noted, with very few advanced controls, something I'd like to see. The ability to accurately describe the rate of play through a file would be first on the list..

So, I don't think it's fair to compare it to the zillions of other sample-playback plugins, because that isn't what it's doing. Having said that, the morphing engine could be 'better' with regard to advanced settings to compensate for the different imported materials.

--
Last edited by concon on Wed May 25, 2022 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CinningBao wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:31 pm . . . the morphing engine could be 'better' with regard to advanced settings to compensate for the different imported materials.
Yes, I hope they continue to develop it; it could be quite a difference maker. As it is now, I don't often get great sounds out of the morphing.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Instruments”