Arturia V Collection 9 - Official Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

Stefken wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:14 pm OK, on the nagging end of things. I am not pleased with the new pricing strategies of Arturia.
In the past, you could upgrade from any version for the same price. Not anymore. Also there is a counter running on the discount prices. I don t like this pushy kind of behavior as they weren t like that in the past.

I first bought a few separate Arturia instruments, upgraded to the collection once, upgraded the collection twice, bought pigments separately, bought fx modules separately. That s being a loyal customer in my book.

And now I would have to pay 60% of the total price (300 euro instead of 500 euro) for yet another upgrade.
Hmmm, you were fair to loyal customers in the past (one of the reasons i ve always been a fan of Arturia) but this isn t very fair in my view. :(

(OK, 300 euro in the hardware world is not much money but that is not my point).
For some time they’ve given different discounts depending on what you already have, but you just have to wait. Then eventually you’ll get another great deal. Think that’s a perfectly fair policy.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

So I know this won't be a popular thing to say but does the real Jupiter-8 sound as plain as Jup-8V? I don't mean that in a bad way about the sound of Jup-8V. But if you take some of the sounds and turn off the stuff in the advanced settings, bleh. Plain Jane. The JP-8 is an icon and I know that in most recordings they drowned stuff in effects but wow. There is a pad sound, Deep Sci-Fi Strings, that sounds gorgeous. When you look at it tho its got 2 reverbs and a chorus turned on (nothing else in advanced settings). Turn that off and you've got nothing.

rezoneight wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:29 pm But if you take some of the sounds and turn off the stuff in the advanced settings, bleh. Plain Jane. The JP-8 is an icon and I know that in most recordings they drowned stuff in effects but wow. There is a pad sound, Deep Sci-Fi Strings, that sounds gorgeous. When you look at it tho its got 2 reverbs and a chorus turned on (nothing else in advanced settings). Turn that off and you've got nothing.
That's the same way with most synths.

When you turn off all effects, you hear the signal "dry". So then you are only listening to the pristine oscillators and filters. You want it that way if you are using outboard effects processing.

That's why sound designers enhance synth presets with internal effects, so you will go "wow". Effects become part of the "sound".
Windows 10 and too many plugins

reference instruments for music makers?

what happened to the word "musicians"?
reference instruments? what exactly does that even mean???

rezoneight wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:29 pm So I know this won't be a popular thing to say but does the real Jupiter-8 sound as plain as Jup-8V? I don't mean that in a bad way about the sound of Jup-8V. But if you take some of the sounds and turn off the stuff in the advanced settings, bleh. Plain Jane. The JP-8 is an icon and I know that in most recordings they drowned stuff in effects but wow. There is a pad sound, Deep Sci-Fi Strings, that sounds gorgeous. When you look at it tho its got 2 reverbs and a chorus turned on (nothing else in advanced settings). Turn that off and you've got nothing.
Check out TAL J-8 for another reference point. I think it sounds quite a bit better than the Arturia version but they’re just analog synth emulations. With FX off you can say they’re all pretty plain Jane

rezoneight wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:29 pmSo I know this won't be a popular thing to say but does the real Jupiter-8 sound as plain as Jup-8V?
A lot of people don't like the JP8, and find it bland sounding. Largely I think they are people that generally prefer the sound character of the thicker American polys, like the SCI and Oberheim stuff, or something harder and more aggressive - the JP8 has a very different character to those - which is one of the reasons it's my all time favourite classic analog poly.

It's smooth, refined, doesn't dominate, can do fat and huge (especially in layered mode) but it can also have a lighter touch too.

Try this one:
https://youtu.be/Ro9bSmtzYC8?t=987

beely wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:57 pm
rezoneight wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:29 pmSo I know this won't be a popular thing to say but does the real Jupiter-8 sound as plain as Jup-8V?
A lot of people don't like the JP8, and find it bland sounding. Largely I think they are people that generally prefer the sound character of the thicker American polys, like the SCI and Oberheim stuff, or something harder and more aggressive - the JP8 has a very different character to those - which is one of the reasons it's my all time favourite classic analog poly.

It's smooth, refined, doesn't dominate, can do fat and huge (especially in layered mode) but it can also have a lighter touch too.

Try this one:
https://youtu.be/Ro9bSmtzYC8?t=987
Thats a pretty good video. Thx. He definitely coaxes some better sounds out of it.

bmanic wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:09 am This cursed GAS of mine made me cave. I just had to update after testing the SQ80. Damn that thing is amazingly close to what I remember from my time with the Ensoniq! Am I crazy or is it really that close??? It also works at 8x oversampling (384kHz) which very nicely takes away virtually all the aliasing of the VCA and filter. Though it is possible it makes the actual DCO's less "real".. who cares. It sounds awesome!

I'm really starting to like these latest offerings from Arturia. They have definitely gotten a lot better at this emulation thing. Seems like they are especially good at the digital emulations.

So yeah, the SQ80 took me over the edge as I now really like the MS20, SQ80 and the Prophet VS.. and I also think the new Piano sounds a lot better than the previous one. I also finally installed the Augmented stuff and tested the advanced versions.. there are some excellent samples within this collection so even this now seems like some value.

Yeah, now I promise that I'M DONE! NO MORE PURCHASES THIS YEAR! Hardware OR software! (except the Hydrasynth that I still am going to get). :hihi:
Charlie Clouser (ex-NIN) wrote over at VI Control how much Arturia nails his Prophet VS. And he’s got two of ‘em.

Fleer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:59 pm
bmanic wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:09 am This cursed GAS of mine made me cave. I just had to update after testing the SQ80. Damn that thing is amazingly close to what I remember from my time with the Ensoniq! Am I crazy or is it really that close??? It also works at 8x oversampling (384kHz) which very nicely takes away virtually all the aliasing of the VCA and filter. Though it is possible it makes the actual DCO's less "real".. who cares. It sounds awesome!

I'm really starting to like these latest offerings from Arturia. They have definitely gotten a lot better at this emulation thing. Seems like they are especially good at the digital emulations.

So yeah, the SQ80 took me over the edge as I now really like the MS20, SQ80 and the Prophet VS.. and I also think the new Piano sounds a lot better than the previous one. I also finally installed the Augmented stuff and tested the advanced versions.. there are some excellent samples within this collection so even this now seems like some value.

Yeah, now I promise that I'M DONE! NO MORE PURCHASES THIS YEAR! Hardware OR software! (except the Hydrasynth that I still am going to get). :hihi:
Charlie Clouser (ex-NIN) wrote over at VI Control how much Arturia nails his Prophet VS. And he’s got two of ‘em.
Charlie's post is actually on Gearspace. Scroll down about halfway on the page to read it.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

gnu23 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:39 pm
Fleer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:59 pm
Charlie's post is actually on Gearspace. Scroll down about halfway on the page to read it.
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5104042
So, yes, it sucks that the patch banks from Arturia's older Prophet-V do not seem to load into ProphetVS-V, but at least old hardware heads like me who have 30-year-old presets can get them into the latest version, with the caveats mentioned above.

I did it, and it works. I'm listening to Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral era VS patches right now in ProphetVS-V. I will drag out the hardware and do some critical listening later (initial results are encouraging).
Windows 10 and too many plugins

oh, we are all everywhere I guess :)

"By the way guys, there's an easter in the KORG MS-20 V, who's gonna find it first?"

Game on

waltercruz wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:20 am oh, we are all everywhere I guess :)
Cross referencing to our heart’s content :)

.. even that filter growl thing Charlie mentions at the vi-forums can be sort of remedied by simply oversampling the Prophet VS heavily. At 384kHz (x8 oversampling) both the filter resonance and all the non-linearities sound a bit more "meaty".

Also the MS-20 sounds a lot more chunky at high oversampling rates.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”