Hardware synths that blew away your expectations

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have a cupboard of stuff, includes the where's the party at sampler :o
but not because i don't use them, so much as i don't have a big enough table for everything to be ready to go :cry:
and there's no floor space to put a bigger table in!!!

--

_leras wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:09 amI thought this [MicroFreak] might be the type of edgy sound you might like. Pretty punchy for a small synth. Quite gnarly.
I like the form factor but nothing I've heard from it really grabs me. Fiddly shit like loading my own waveforms actually puts me off. I prefer things to be more straightforward. All my favourites synths are comparatively simple and definitely straightforward.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have another one to add to my list, but let me explain. I recently traded a Strymon pedal (which did NOT blow away, let alone live up to, my lofty expectations) for a Roland Boutique JU-06A plus cash. Honestly, I always dismissed the Boutiques as being toys for beginners, and I initially said no to his offer, but then I decided to take a closer look at some video demos and decided that maybe it was cooler than I thought it was. Besides, for the offer I got, I knew I could always resell the JU-06A and come out ahead, so I went for it. I gotta say, it actually has blown away my expectations, primarily in lieu of my expectations having been so low, but still, it’s completely changed my perception of the Boutiques. Granted, I have many of the same complaints people regularly voice about this synth (esp. the stupidly limited polyphony in a digital synth), but not only will I not dismiss these synths anymore, I’ll heartily recommend them to people looking for some fun little boxes that really sound great and are built much sturdier than I expected.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I bought the original JU-06 and I was really underwhelmed by it. I found it's range of uses far too limited. It sounded great when I was playing with it in the shop but when I got it home, I soon realised that I had explored everything it had to offer in the shop and there was bugger-all else that I'd be able to get out of it. I liked the JX-08 better, except for the stupidly small sliders and the horrible sounding unison (also on the JU-06). I got rid of both in fairly short order. I can't remember what's different with the "A" but the few things I've read seem to indicate it's better than the original.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

...thinking about... Dreadbox Typhon...

I was lucky I think to get one unit that has almost Zero white noise/hum on both outputs L & R + headphones,
Now after getting a 3rd unit that has affected outputs I - give up - ...

Have you by any chance experienced this issue? did you manage to solve it?
In the end I may pull a trigger on a polyphonic h. synth for a change - but...hey not many offer features Typhon does..

such a shame this synth has that problem. portable synth with some nice effects ....not many out there...recommend me one..not single osc ...Nymphes...btw
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

As mentioned by others here The DeepMind 12d suprised me. I knew I would like it but I Really like it. My Juno 60 is collecting dust.

The complete System 100 modules from Behringer have also blown past my expectations. I put together a complete system here with 15 modules and every module seems to be quality. Nice resistance to the knobs and the faders, the sound is exactly what I was hoping for; the form factor and appearance is just the icing on the cake. There are little mixers and utilities built in and it is a joy to patch.

The Bass Station II with the new firmware was also a welcomed suprise. I was expecting something more basic. This is a very capable synth.

AcrossTheSky wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pm ...thinking about... Dreadbox Typhon...

I was lucky I think to get one unit that has almost Zero white noise/hum on both outputs L & R + headphones,
Now after getting a 3rd unit that has affected outputs I - give up - ...

Have you by any chance experienced this issue? did you manage to solve it?
In the end I may pull a trigger on a polyphonic h. synth for a change - but...hey not many offer features Typhon does..

such a shame this synth has that problem. portable synth with some nice effects ....not many out there...recommend me one..not single osc ...Nymphes...btw
I've heard about the problem with the Typhon noise, but haven't experienced it with mine. Incidentally, I've been using my Typhon a LOT lately as I'm creating a bank of 64 bass patches.

As for portable poly synth w/effects recommendations, I guess it depends on your definition of "portable", but I'm still blown away by the Korg Minilogue XD. I personally don't think there's any analog/hybrid poly synth under $1K that can compete with it (although maybe the Behringer DeepMind, but I've never owned one). I have the module and it's probably ~3x bigger than the Typhon, but I'd still consider it to be portable.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Hi,
I had in mind one that can be powered by a power pack /now some offer 9v 12v,
Good enough for powering keystep Pro plus
2 Typhon's and Minilogue XD I should think.
Together with TR 6S...yay :phones:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Dreadbox added much needed updates to the Typhon......I am also quote interested in the JU-06A. My eyes will always be glued to Sequential though. Been using everything from Synapse lately though, so I haven't had much gas for hardware

AcrossTheSky wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pmsuch a shame this synth has that problem. portable synth with some nice effects ....not many out there...recommend me one..not single osc ...Nymphes...btw
The original Uno is as portable as it gets - it's small and runs on internal batteries. Uno Pro desktop is a much better synth but it requires an external battery pack or USB for power. They are both really good for what they are (hardware). The Roland Boutique stuff also runs on batteries and they have built-in speakers, too. You'd need the keyboard dock if you wanted to play them, though, so it starts to get expensive.

Low-end: Korg Volca Kick
High-end: Waldorf Quantum

OB-6. It’s far more capable than it appears, and can get up to some weird stuff. Had high expectations and it blew them away. People seem to have weird stereotypes of the synth and… I don’t get it, because they don’t describe the synth I have.

SE-02. I had no expectations (first hardware synth I bought) and it blew that away. Heh. But now I DO have expectations and though it’s my least-used hardware synth (of 3), it continues to surprise me. I just made a patch tonight that sounds like it came from a different synth - deep. I didn’t give it a fair chance for a long time before the OB-6 lured me astray. The synth pairs really well with the Digitone.

OB-6 is three grand, it would have to give me a head-job, and swallow, to exceed the expectations that price tag sets.

Akai Timbre Wolf

:ud:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”