Acon locked as my default VST2 install directory (registry hijack?)

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Somewhere along the line, Acon Digital has taken over as my default VST2 install directory.

Now, when I install a VST2 plugin, from any developer, it often asks me if I want to install it to my custom Acon Digital folder.

For example, installing Audiomodern's Filterstep plugin:
aconinstaller.PNG
This happens often enough for it to become annoying - so I'm just raising it.

Even when I updated my DAW, it wanted to install the stock plugins in the Acon Digital folder! :evil:

I believe that it's a Windows registry thing, but I'm afraid to go poking around in the registry in case I break something. Would it be safe to go searching in the registry for Acon and perhaps find this default folder entry, and remove it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Searching for 'Acon Digital' in the Windows Registry Editor brings this up:
aconregistry.PNG
Is it safe to modify and remove Acon Digital from the path so atleast it points first to my main VST directory (D:\Music Production\VST\)?

Maybe when I installed something from Acon awhile back (the EQ I think, or one of the reverb freebies), there was a "Make this the default directory for all VST2 plugins", or something - I don't know why you would offer that or why anyone would want to do that, but maybe that's what happened (user error) - I simply don't know how it happened. The alternative is that Acon Digital you have an aggressive installer and maybe you should look into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, I noticed that too, can confirm here.

Same on my studio machine.

Thanks guys, that really confirms there is an issue here. Nice to know I'm not alone - strength in numbers :)

Pretty sure we can just edit that Registry entry and tidy it up, but will wait for Acon's response before proceeding.

I remember this issue being reported previously, editing the registry worked fine for me.
Here's Stians reply over at GS https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... ostcount=5

don1thedon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 pm I remember this issue being reported previously, editing the registry worked fine for me.
Here's Stians reply over at GS https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... ostcount=5
Thank you very much for this :hug: I think I'll go ahead and edit the Registry entry :tu:

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:14 am Is it safe to modify and remove Acon Digital from the path so atleast it points first to my main VST directory (D:\Music Production\VST\)?

Maybe when I installed something from Acon awhile back (the EQ I think, or one of the reverb freebies), there was a "Make this the default directory for all VST2 plugins", or something - I don't know why you would offer that or why anyone would want to do that, but maybe that's what happened (user error) - I simply don't know how it happened. The alternative is that Acon Digital you have an aggressive installer and maybe you should look into it.
Sorry for my late response and for the inconvenience caused by the installer error. The issue should be fixed in version 7.4.0, but earlier version of the Acoustica installer for Windows had the problem. It is safe to change the registry value as suggested.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”