Which MIDI controller for a warm and punchy sound?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(Title is of course a reference to Steve Albini's epic "The Problem With Music" tirade.)

Looking for recommendations on a MIDI controller with the following specs:
  • Not too large -- 2 or 3 octaves, so it can fit on my desk alongside my keyboard and mouse
  • Full size keys
  • Real mod and pitch wheels, not touch surfaces or anything of the sort
  • Has some drum pads for when I want to play at being John Bonham
  • Available to buy new
  • Durable (so it doesn't break 3 months from now)
  • No proprietary software needed (that will go out of support 3 months from now)
Any particular controller that you have had success with? Thanks! 8)

I'd suggest looking at the Novation LaunchKey mk3 (25 or 37 key versions). It ticks all of your boxes and is nicely priced. I've always been a fan of Novation's MIDI controllers.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I second Novation.

However, would be nice to know what DAW you use because some controllers work very well with specific DAWs (unless you use Ableton, since everyone seems to support that one fairly well).

That being said, I'd probably opt for a Maschine Mikro MK3 in addition to something else because the pads on that are going to blow the pads on any MIDI Controller out of the water. Fully mappable (and easily so) with the Controller Editor.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

The 37 keys Launchkey is probably the best choice for those requirements indeed.

I bought this as a desk top controller. Love it.

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-an ... gLsyvD_BwE
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:06 pm I bought this as a desk top controller. Love it.

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-an ... gLsyvD_BwE
I got the same, and use it all the time. Sometimes I would have liked to have had three full octaves though, so if you're looking for a desktop controller I guess it's worth checking out something with three full octaves

OP said 2 or 3 to fit on his desk. I’ve never found 2 octaves limiting 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Get a Novation, they're rock solid. Had an arturia before and the keys were stiff, controls wobbly, not really good. I got a Launchkey but with the more expensive MK3 model you get the small lights that tell you the notes of a scale of your choosing (pretty dope imo)

Thanks for the recommendations! For some reason, the controllers I was finding on the net had weird touch strip thingies instead of regular pitch and mod wheels. These look much better. I assume they don't need any fancy (soon to go out of support) software to run?

ramseysounds wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:23 am OP said 2 or 3 to fit on his desk. I’ve never found 2 octaves limiting 🤷‍♂️
I do sometimes, depends on your needs I guess. I have five octave controllers for normal use, and got the LX25 for something to fit on my desk. I'm not sure if a three octave controller would get to large for my desk, for me it would have been worth checking out though

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”