Steinberg SpectraLayers 8 Released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SpectraLayers 10 Elements SpectraLayers Pro SpectraLayers Pro 8

elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:35 pm Does this require the dongle? It didn't mention it on the purchase page.
It's up to you. You can store your license on your computer directly, or on an USB dongle. Once on a dongle it can't be transferred back to your computer though.

divide wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:59 pm
elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:35 pm Does this require the dongle? It didn't mention it on the purchase page.
It's up to you. You can store your license on your computer directly, or on an USB dongle. Once on a dongle it can't be transferred back to your computer though.
Thank you! I don't have their dongle and would like to keep it that way especially considering the potential plans to move away from it.

elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Also has anyone with RX moved over completely to Spectralyer, or do you use both?
For my audio repair work I use both. I´m getting good results faster in RX8 but often enough clients send such bad quality audio for fixing that I have to do it on a deeper level. In such cases SpectraLayers is great. I use "Unmix Components" a lot because it creates 3 layers (tonal, transient and noise) where I can surgically remove unwanted clicks or noises with tools like eraser or clone stamp (a bit like editing a picture).
If you are more into sound design then the choice would be SpectraLayers.

Beachboy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:45 am
elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Also has anyone with RX moved over completely to Spectralyer, or do you use both?
For my audio repair work I use both. I´m getting good results faster in RX8 but often enough clients send such bad quality audio for fixing that I have to do it on a deeper level. In such cases SpectraLayers is great. I use "Unmix Components" a lot because it creates 3 layers (tonal, transient and noise) where I can surgically remove unwanted clicks or noises with tools like eraser or clone stamp (a bit like editing a picture).
If you are more into sound design then the choice would be SpectraLayers.
i think this is quite good summary, the differences. although i don't own RX8 (or do i, perhaps RX8 elements...no RX7 elements, well they are at one time, always free. sometimes i have used it..).

unmix components is a strong feature... the eraser or clone stamp, indeed unwanted clicks, 'distortion' (because of artefacts after many treatment-steps..), noise.

o well.

NM

Since the release of SpectraLayers Pro 5 new versions have been released about every 12 months.
Is SpectraLayers Pro 9 going to be released soon?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpectraLayers

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 am Since the release of SpectraLayers Pro 5 new versions have been released about every 12 months.
Is SpectraLayers Pro 9 going to be released soon?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpectraLayers
indeed, 12 months, but last year was an exception, or not; it was in may or so, indeed, but since nr. 6 it was august. so..

EDIT: in the spectralayers forum; there is a FR, and the developer says, a little late for SL 9... so it seems it is ready? or beta?

EDIT 2: the updates were always great, with more emphasis also on being more and more restoration tool, i hope also the sounddesign part will get some attention, it has, also in 8, what SL 9 will give, i don't know... while as a sounddesign tool it is already powerfull...

I also hope that in SpactraLayers Pro they add more sound design features.

I'm tempted to upgrade from 6 Pro to 8 Pro, now, out of concern that 6 may slide down into the (ver 1-5) double the price ($199), with an upgrade to 9-Pro. Thoughts?
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:42 pm I'm tempted to upgrade from 6 Pro to 8 Pro, now, out of concern that 6 may slide down into the (ver 1-5) double the price ($199), with an upgrade to 9-Pro. Thoughts?
there are always sales. of course, this is the normal price. what was the last sale price, 40%? or can it be even 50%, at some point?

so if you can wait, and 8 came with an intro discount, i bought it at june 23, 63 something euro.

from 6 to 8 is 99 euro, or 99 dollar. from 8 to 9, will be 79 dollar, or if they do the same thing...

it is cheaper. but... you can wait, until the upgrade is 50% or 40%. can't find the deals, via google...

Thanks ^^^ cheers.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

You can also crossgrade from Audition or RX (5 or later) for $199.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I am thinking about using SpectraLayers to rearrange the spectrograph and create something new. Perhaps in ambient, rhythmic ambient, experimental music. Will like eventually to try it with orchestral music.

Chop, copy, paste, create patterns, stretch, change pitch, change volume and do unspeakable things to the spectrograph. I do wonder if there is a better way to do this. Perhaps Melodyne or RipX DeepAudio by HitnMix?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:46 pm I am thinking about using SpectraLayers to rearrange the spectrograph and create something new. Perhaps in ambient, rhythmic ambient, experimental music. Will like eventually to try it with orchestral music.

Chop, copy, paste, create patterns, stretch, change pitch, change volume and do unspeakable things to the spectrograph. I do wonder if there is a better way to do this. Perhaps Melodyne or RipX DeepAudio by HitnMix?
i think SpectraLayers works excellent for it... that is the reason i bought it, and it works, as you say.

i also have DeepAudio, better than Melodyne for sounddesign.. and has more possibilities, i guess.

they complement eachother.

but SpectraLayers on its own, indeed; chop; copy; paste; create patterns, all you say can be done, in a spectral way. and it can do spectral morphing..

DeepAudio is not a better way to do this, it lacks non-pitched editing possibilites, for instance.
it is spectral based.

if you are on Mac, metasynth is of course a alternative, or more than an alternative.

SpectraLayers + DeepAudio + Cecila 5, for instance... well there is your Metasynth (i don't care much for the image facilities... well i have als Harmor, as vst...), in a way.

WasteLand,
Wow your reply was very helpful. Saved me much time to research and try things out. Melodyne does not have a fade-in/fade-out of the selection. What issues are there that make Melodyne not as good as SpectraLayers to chop, copy ...

Cecila 5 along with many other plugins is on my list to get. As for Metasynth I am aware of it but in no rush to try it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”