Cherry Audio Unleashes Lowdown Bass Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lowdown Bass Synthesizer

In a surprise announcement on International Synth Day 2022, Cherry Audio has released the Lowdown Bass Synthesizer, based on the most renowned dual-oscillator bass pedal synth ever made. This outrageously fun and funky plugin instrument recreates the room-rattling sounds heard on countless prog-rock and new wave tracks in the 70s and 80s, and it hits the ground running at a rock-bottom price of only $25.

https://youtu.be/RgfAmRS0JhU
The original analog gear was the first dedicated foot-controlled bass synthesizer outside of a handful of organ-oriented instruments. Its colossal tone was an integral part of top acts of the 70s and 80s, including Rush, Yes, Genesis, U2, and The Police. And it was more than just a monosynth with pedals attached. It used a Hz/V oscillator scaling (instead of the more conventional volts/oct oscillator scaling), allowing the detuning amount to remain constant across the range by minimizing the phase cancellation of two oscillators playing simultaneously.

To create Cherry Audio's Lowdown, award-winning synth designer and DSP legend Mark Barton carefully analyzed the original's synthesis circuits and precisely modeled them to provide a massive virtual bass experience like no other. But we didn't stop at the sound! Lowdown's unique interface reproduces the experience with a lovingly rendered and animated foot pedal "keyboard" and the ability for users to select from 14 under-the-pedals floor surfaces. Over 40 outstanding presets and unlimited user preset storage are provided, and Lowdown supports full MIDI and DAW automation control.

Cherry Audio is thrilled with the results of this fun and easy-to-use earth-moving bass experience, and we hope you love it as much as we do. We're introducing it at the unthinkably low-down price of only $25 ($39 list). Don't miss this chance to "get the Lowdown" and bring the fattest floor synth to your desktop today!

Lowdown Bass Synthesizer is now available at cherryaudio.com and authorized resellers worldwide for Windows and macOS, in AU, VST, VST3, AAX, and standalone formats, with a 30-day demo.

Lowdown Features
  • Faithful virtual analog emulation of the renowned monophonic bass pedal synth
  • Every aspect precisely modeled in exacting detail with an ultra-realistic interface
  • Beyond bass: propel Lowdown from the fat deep end and up to soaring leads
  • Massive dual oscillators
  • Throaty 24dB/octave lowpass filter with controls for Cutoff, Emphasis, and Contour
  • Single-button access to Bull, Tuba, and Bass three factory presets
  • Variable live-panel mode, available with a single click
  • Additional one-button controls to activate Glide, Decay, and Octave
  • Loudness and Filter master "foot" sliders
  • Recessed panel provides access to programmable functions: Tune, Beat, Glide, Octave, Mix, and OSC B Frequency
  • Rendered and animated foot pedal keyboard
  • Select from 14 under-the-pedals floor surfaces
  • Over 40 presets in an extensive preset browsing menu, and unlimited user preset storage
  • Full MIDI control
  • Full DAW automation for all controls
macOS Requirements: macOS 10.9 or above (including macOS 12), 64-bit required. Native Apple M1 processor support. Quad-core computer with 8GB of RAM recommended.

Windows Requirements: Windows 7 or above (including Windows 11), 64-bit required. Quad-core computer with 8GB of RAM recommended.
Last edited by rsaintjohn on Tue May 24, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John; Director of Marketing @ Cherry Audio

A Moog Taurus emu? Cool. :)
Last edited by chk071 on Mon May 23, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a bunch of bull.

(j/k congrats on the release, I'm surprised no one had done the Taurus yet now that I think about it)

Well there is Taurus by Antti. Old but great.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:17 pm Well there is Taurus by Antti. Old but great.
Also Easy-Tauros by easytoolz for a bit of variation, although I prefer Antti's usually.

NikkiA wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:17 pm Well there is Taurus by Antti. Old but great.
Also Easy-Tauros by easytoolz for a bit of variation, although I prefer Antti's usually.
yes me aswell
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

There's a third 'emulation' that I can't remember the name of, I remember it has the two slider-pedals in the UI, I don't think it had very good audio though...

Nice! This looks cool, especially for $25. The Shining carpet is a nice touch as well.

Wow! That's terrific bass!

NikkiA wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:20 pm There's a third 'emulation' that I can't remember the name of, I remember it has the two slider-pedals in the UI, I don't think it had very good audio though...
Wave Alchemy has a sampled one for Kontakt.

But OMGeddy, do I want this one.
"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's depressing."

Not an emulation, but the "Bully", is a multisampled version of the original Moog Taurus bass pedal synth. Available in IK Syntronik.

I lean more toward emulations, and have many of the Cherry Audio products, but some of the sampled synths in Syntronik sound very good. If you split the keyboard and put the bass pedals on the bottom, another synth on top, look out!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I wonder why devs feel it's necessary to include obscure descriptions like this in their ads?

"It used a Hz/oct oscillator scaling (instead of the more conventional volts/oct oscillator scaling), allowing the detuning amount to remain constant across the range by minimizing the phase cancellation of two oscillators playing simultaneously."

Unless I was a scientist working at the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, all that jibber jabber, which was obviously written to impress me, makes no sense.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Some customers like to geek out on how authentic the analysis of the vintage gear was and that it was modeled diligently in the emulation.

zzz00m wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:29 pm Some customers like to geek out on how authentic the analysis of the vintage gear was and that it was modeled diligently in the emulation.
Do you know why this is?
Last edited by plexuss on Tue May 24, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:46 pm
zzz00m wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:29 pm Some customers like to geek out on how authentic the analysis of the vintage gear was and that it was modeled diligently in the emulation.
Do you know this is?
Mark Barton probably knows... question for him?

Return to “Instruments”