Have we reached the end of hardware synths with software plug-ins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:33 pm
_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:25 pm
vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm
_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:04 pm
SLiC wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:06 pm Sort of funny people thinking hardware is dead because of software yet so many of the major VST developers now make hardware synths or Eurorack….
Which ones?

I know there's a ton of Eurorack - but from VST developers... not so sure.

VST developers making software versions of modules, yes some.
uhe, arturia, unfiltered audio.

im sure there's more.
U-he has one.
Arturia - have some cases and things that can sequence. (I do love that they got into making hardware synths though)
Unfiltered Audio - the closest I see on their website to hardware... is a mug! :hihi:
uhe showed more at suoerbooth.
ua are in the running.

arturia, he said hardware synths too.
there's the brutes.
some of the big name VST developers now making hardware....

IK Multimidia- UNO and UNO Pro analogue synths
Arturia - Mikrofreak, Microbrute, polybrute, drumbrure, matrix brute....
UHE 3 x Eurorack modules
Native Instruments - Maschine+
Expert Sleepers were software only for about 4 years...now they are probably better know for Eurorack hardware.

Maybe as its harder to pirate/steal hardware!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:29 pm
vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:33 pm
_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:25 pm
vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm
_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:04 pm
SLiC wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:06 pm Sort of funny people thinking hardware is dead because of software yet so many of the major VST developers now make hardware synths or Eurorack….
Which ones?

I know there's a ton of Eurorack - but from VST developers... not so sure.

VST developers making software versions of modules, yes some.
uhe, arturia, unfiltered audio.

im sure there's more.
U-he has one.
Arturia - have some cases and things that can sequence. (I do love that they got into making hardware synths though)
Unfiltered Audio - the closest I see on their website to hardware... is a mug! :hihi:
uhe showed more at suoerbooth.
ua are in the running.

arturia, he said hardware synths too.
there's the brutes.
some of the big name VST developers now making hardware....

IK Multimidia- UNO and UNO Pro analogue synths
Arturia - Mikrofreak, Microbrute, polybrute, drumbrure, matrix brute....
UHE 3 x Eurorack modules
Native Instruments - Maschine+
Expert Sleepers were software only for about 4 years...now they are probably better know for Eurorack hardware.

Maybe as its harder to pirate/steal hardware!
didnt arturia also do some modules and a case? or am i getting mixed up with waldorf maybe?

ah, i didnt even know es did software, except the stuff to connect to their modules?

vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 pm didnt arturia also do some modules and a case? or am i getting mixed up with waldorf maybe?
The Origin?

It was more of a hardware software modular, I think.

chk071 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:38 pm
vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 pm didnt arturia also do some modules and a case? or am i getting mixed up with waldorf maybe?
The Origin?

It was more of a hardware software modular, I think.
no not that, no idea what it was now, as i cant find it on any of the sites, so im guessing it was "a n other company". i only remember it because when i was first making the plunge, i saw a sort of complete 4 row thing, which i was going to buy, but then thought, "no! im doing this because i want to build my own thing" :hihi:

no point going modular and buyng someone elses idea of what i need imo.

actually, it was arturia!!!
the rack brute :hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:46 pm actually, it was arturia!!!
Like many others, I was optimistic/hopeful about them making eurorack 'modules' when they introduced the rack brute, but so far... nada. :shrug:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:51 pm
vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:46 pm actually, it was arturia!!!
Like many others, I was optimistic/hopeful about them making eurorack 'modules' when they introduced the rack brute, but so far... nada. :shrug:
And they need to redesign that rack with a built-In power switch instead of wasting Hp.

Some modules from them should be interesting considering their hardware line.

Also, I don’t thing there have ever been so many hardware sequencers and grooove boxes to choose from…several hardware trackers, numerous grid button type devices from the OXI to the poly Play….the new Roland range of mini volcano like boxes…never been a better time to be in to fun and affordable hardware…
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

His system must draw more electricity than several third world countries combined!
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

machinesworking wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:04 pmMost DAWs these days have a side window ability with a single fader of the selected track, so it's super quick for volume adjustments to use a touch screen.
When I get to that final stage, which can last months, I'll usually be entering numerical values into the faders, not moving them. When I am moving faders, it's hover and scroll all the way for me. The problem with a touchscreen is that your hand is in the way so you can't see what you're doing. And that Inspector panel eats into my horizontal screen space for no benefit so I never use it. One of the things I like about S1 is that I can have the double-width mixer, which lets me get at everything from the mixer itself.
Don't you have a Zenbook with touch?
Yeah but I don't use touch because a), it's not convenient to lean across to touch the screen and b) I can be far more accurate with my mouse or via direct numerical entry. I can change the resolution of my mouse on the fly so I can slow it right down for very precise work and speed it up for general mousing duties.
IMO mixing and sound design on a synth with a decent touch friendly GUI are the two areas it's far superior to the mouse.
I'm pretty sure that's because you've only ever had Apple mice. Unfortunately for you, on macOS you'll never get all the features of a really good gaming mouse. It's life-changing stuff. It's another one of those reasons... you know.
machinesworking wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:23 pmThere's definitely got to be a way around the friction on an Ultrabook? it's glass isn't it?
Mine are both matte screens with virtually no "grab" at all. I think that's one thing that contributes to it having the best touch experience I've ever had on any laptop. It doesn;' tshow fingermarks, either.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

@Bones, we’ve been here before, I’ve never used the Apple mouse, Logitech MX forever. IMO a you’re missing out in terms of touch screens, unless Studio One and Windows, or the actual implementation of touch hardware wise is not so good, then there’s not any issue with accuracy or finesse with touch. then again too many variables as mentioned to know, maybe in your setup it’s messy, don’t know.

BONES wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:05 am I'm pretty sure that's because you've only ever had Apple mice. Unfortunately for you, on macOS you'll never get all the features of a really good gaming mouse. It's life-changing stuff. It's another one of those reasons... you know.
What features are missing in gaming mice on macOS? I use a Logitech G604 + SteerMouse, and absolutely everything works, including the on-the-fly resolution controls. I can even set an arbitrary number of resolutions.

Last time I tried one of my R.A.T.s, nothing worked beyond the basics. To be fair, that was a while ago now, probably 7 years, so things may have changed. Or maybe Logitech make the effort to support Mac, where Mad Catz don't bother? Which, yet again, means choosing a Mac reduces your options in so many other ways.
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:33 amIMO a you’re missing out in terms of touch screens, unless Studio One and Windows, or the actual implementation of touch hardware wise is not so good, then there’s not any issue with accuracy or finesse with touch.
Of course there is. Compare the size of your fingers to the size of a mouse cursor. The mouse activates on a single pixel, your fingers probably on something about 20x20 pixels, minimum. The other aspect of touchscreens that annoys me is right-click menus, or the poor implementation of them with touch (press and hold). I live by right-click/context menus in pretty much everything.
then again too many variables as mentioned to know, maybe in your setup it’s messy, don’t know.
Nah, like I said, my current laptop has the best touch experience I've ever had. It's a quantum leap up from anything I've experienced before, including Surface Pros and the like. I think it is more to do without personal preferences - I've been using a mouse for 25 years, it feels far more natural when I am sitting in front of a screen than leaning forward, then reaching out to touch the screen. And with your wrist unsupported, I can't see how you could possibly get anywhere near the same accuracy, either.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:00 am Last time I tried one of my R.A.T.s, nothing worked beyond the basics. To be fair, that was a while ago now, probably 7 years, so things may have changed. Or maybe Logitech make the effort to support Mac, where Mad Catz don't bother? Which, yet again, means choosing a Mac reduces your options in so many other ways.
I've used a Logitech 7 button mouse of some kind or another for over 15 years on Mac OS, I've never felt the need to change. There's a couple great universal mouse applications so I could probably use your gamer mouse if I wanted to with no issues. You're simply uneducated on this subject.
Of course there is. Compare the size of your fingers to the size of a mouse cursor. The mouse activates on a single pixel, your fingers probably on something about 20x20 pixels, minimum. The other aspect of touchscreens that annoys me is right-click menus, or the poor implementation of them with touch (press and hold). I live by right-click/context menus in pretty much everything.
Again, I do not get why people think there's immediately a need to to everything with touch. I mean you're on a laptop for chrissakes? the dammed keyboard is right there. With the raven it's super simple for right click if you need to do it that way, two fingers one slightly after the other pulls up the contextual menu. In terms of finger size, a fader most definitely should not be implemented so fussily that it's an issue. and every DAW I know of has a fine fader shortcut key.
Nah, like I said, my current laptop has the best touch experience I've ever had. It's a quantum leap up from anything I've experienced before, including Surface Pros and the like. I think it is more to do without personal preferences - I've been using a mouse for 25 years, it feels far more natural when I am sitting in front of a screen than leaning forward, then reaching out to touch the screen. And with your wrist unsupported, I can't see how you could possibly get anywhere near the same accuracy, either.
It's the angle, think of how you use a Surface, iPad, Android etc. Not a soul that has brain cells uses them at 90º angles. Close to a 45º angle is optimum for touch. This gives better fine movements and less wear on your arms etc.

But yeah personal preferences play into it. Not a lot of people prefer a mouse over motorized faders like you do, the main rep for MOTU DP does as well, he's also a mouse over other methods of automation and mixing guy. I'm sold on touch screens for mixing, but on the road I'm all about the mouse.

On the "Logitech MX master" series you can make the mouse wheel to be free running with no drag. For me that was a game changer. Very similar to using an endless encoder. I don't want anything else now. The only thing I could probably miss from hardware could be the ability to tweak two knobs at once.

There is an horizontal mouse wheel too, so you can navigate projects without mouse dragging too.

Return to “Instruments”