Reverb / Delay that do really sound like hardware

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Lexicon PCM70, PCM80, Eventide Eclipse for everything and OTO BIM / BAM and modular stuff for synths. I don't use plugins for production. I am looking for substitutes to play with on the computer while on the road.
Is there any plugin that sounds close to these hardware effects? I am not looking for 1:1 emulations. I just need something that shares similar properties in terms depth and overall timbre. Last time I checked around 2011-12 I got very disappointed and sort of gave up at the end.

I don't really know how hardware reverbs/delays sound (only heard a couple of sound demos from Strymon etc.), but, NI Replika XT sounds absolutely fantastic to me.

Regarding the Lexicons and Eventide, you could try the Exponential Audio reverbs and the Eventide effects (they have loads of plugin fx). They sound great to me.

Thanks, will look up. I have come across with forum comments on Eventide native being meh when comparing to the rack units but I have never tried. I realise I could just google and demo but there are tons of options and I don't even know where to begin. I am hoping for some valid recommendations and then filter a few out to demo. I have Reaktor Blocks installed as a 'modular notepad'. I realise it has a reverb block (rounds). Just about to give it a spin.

I always found the PSP - Lexicons pretty good.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Maybe Valhalla VintageVerb?

At least for the Eventide stuff you might look at well, Eventide :lol:
Their plugins are pretty much the same in Hardware and software.
E.g. Blackhole and the H9 series stuff. There should be at least some
effects in the H3000 plugins series that are at least comparable to the
algorithms in the eclipse.

Valhalla Delay is said to be very hardware like, so make sure to check that one out if you haven't.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

pekbro wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:51 am At least for the Eventide stuff you might look at well, Eventide :lol:
And the same goes of course even more so for Lexicon PCM...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Eventide Black Hole is ace, dead on great bus verb, especially if your into ambient music

I have very limited experience with hardware effects.

I'd nominate

Delay: Valhalla Delay
Reverb: Liquidsonics Cinematic Rooms Pro (and Seventh Heaven)

This question is vague to the point of being meaningless.

Reverbs have been digital since the late ‘70s. Algorithms come in all sorts. A Bricasti M7 and an Alesis Quadraverb are both hardware reverbs, but they’re opposite ends in terms of quality. There are plugin reverbs that run the gamut too. So literally any algorithmic plugin reverb could sound like some hardware reverb out there. Unless you’re looking specifically for a plugin that emulates the the ADC/DAC. Then you’d want Relab LX480 which emulates the Lexicon 480L down to the 18-bit converters.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jens wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:19 am
pekbro wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:51 am At least for the Eventide stuff you might look at well, Eventide :lol:
And the same goes of course even more so for Lexicon PCM...
No. Lexicon PCM plugins don’t use the original classic algorithms. There was a whole discussion on Gearslutz years ago, about Lexicon losing the original source code and Michael Carnes creating the PCM 96 (which the PCM plugins are based on) from scratch. You’ll get closer to the PCM 91 (and the classic 224/PCM 70 units it was based on) with IK’s CSR, which Martin Lind reversed from an original PCM 91.

The Eventide SP2016 Reverb plugin is a 1:1 recreation of the SP2016 reverbs from the original algorithms, down to the original samplerate.

The Eventide UltraReverb algorithms are “derived” from the H8000 Ultra-Harmonizer, which itself includes “Eventide’s best preset-algorithms culled from over thirty years,” whatever all that means.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I’ll add the 2CAudio reverbs as being some of the best.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Seems inevitable that you’re going to see just about everybody’s favorite plug-ins mentioned here with a question like this.

That being said here’s my reply. Like others here, my experience with decent hardware delays and verbs is limited. But the plugins I get a hardware vibe from are:
-Audio Damage Other desert cities
-Fabfilter Pro-R
-Nebula 4 third party reverbs
-IRs. I’ve always liked the Kinetic Sound Prism impulses.

Return to “Effects”