I Think Bitwig Developers Are Fans Of Project5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who was the original developer of project 5 ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Cakewalk.

P5 was dropped because the main coder/creator left Twelve Tone. I remember reading that program wasn't developed in house, but brought to TTS and distributed. They could have kept up development, but didn't want to pay royalties. Same thing knocked out most of their bundled synth line. It's also why NI dumped Vokator, Pro 53, etc.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

careyletendre wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:13 am
I'm pretty sure that a software application as complex as a DAW is usually developed by more than one person.
I believe that Mulab is a one man operation and Orion was just one programmer and an assitant who worked on the graphics.

I wish I were capable of writing my own DAW :cry:

The project5 development blog had a number of contributors from Cakewalk talking about the P5 v2 development process. It appears there wasn't just one person working on that project. They also talk about borrowing coders from other project to work on P5.

"Well since I was one of the main people responsible for ACT in SONAR 6, the Project5 folks asked me if it would be possible to add ACT to this new release." - Bob Damiano, Director of Engineering

One developer mentions stealing code from Sonar to add 3rd party audio editing support.

"A lot of people had been asking for audio editing capabilities in Project5. ... A whole new audio editor is quite an undertaking, so it seemed more efficient and flexible to allow users to use the audio editor of their choice (à la SONAR). ... So steal I did." - MIKE [CAKEWALK]

etc.

Carey

Resonant- Serpent wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:03 pmIt's also why NI dumped Vokator, Pro 53, etc.
Nope, it's not the same situation at all regarding those old NI products.

careyletendre wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:26 pm Cakewalk.
I know that , I meant the guy leading the team since someone mentioned cakewalk dropped support for P.5 since he left
Eyeball exchanging

aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:08 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:17 pm I also owned Project5 (and now Bitwig) coincidence ? ;-)
Me too - loved Project 5 at the time
We had such a great little community of users back then, too. We need to schedule a reunion. :hug: :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:08 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:17 pm I also owned Project5 (and now Bitwig) coincidence ? ;-)
Me too - loved Project 5 at the time
We had such a great little community of users back then, too. We need to schedule a reunion. :hug: :lol:
Yes!

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:32 pm
careyletendre wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:26 pm Cakewalk.
I know that , I meant the guy leading the team since someone mentioned cakewalk dropped support for P.5 since he left
I'm not sure who you are referring to but my first guess would be Nick Haddad or Jesse Jost. I know they were heavily involved with P5 and Jesse is still with Cakewalk [Bandlab].

There's an interview from late 2003 with Jesse on the old project5.com website where he talks about the origins of P5.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040401201 ... erview.asp

"Instrument design and specification was done in-house. Three different contractors carried out instrument development. Each third party was particularly well suited to the task for which they were contracted. Once the vendors had the specs, we started going back and forth, balancing their expertise with our requirements, to achieve at the most robust and useful instrument possible. ... Cyclone, fully developed in house, was first introduced in SONAR 2, but its live performance features make this "groovebox" type plug-in right at home in P5."- Jess Jost

Carey

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:35 pm Who was the original developer of project 5 ?
Hi gentleclockdivider,

Sorry I can't remember the guys name but this was mention in the old Cakewalk forums and I read it in a mag article.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:06 pm
Resonant- Serpent wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:03 pmIt's also why NI dumped Vokator, Pro 53, etc.
Nope, it's not the same situation at all regarding those old NI products.
When I complained LOUDLY to NI about discontinuing the products, this is what I was told by tech support.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Ha, lame. The truth is the codebases became impossible to maintain. At any rate, Vokator, Spektral Delay, Pro-53, FM7, are all in-house developed, not subcontracted products.

Spektral Delay was the only one I actually missed (other than Kore, but lets no go there!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I know Rene Caballos ( of Z3ta fame ) coded Psyn for project 5

Who now does diy hardware projects
https://www.futur3soundz.com/
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”