UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 2.5 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alive - UVI Falcon Expansion Falcon
WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
11311 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm

You can potentially argue there’s no progress, but It can’t be a step backwards, that’s an insane POV.

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"
https://soundcloud.com/main_tenant

concon
Banned
109 posts since 1 Mar, 2021

Post Wed May 25, 2022 3:58 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm You can potentially argue there’s no progress, but It can’t be a step backwards, that’s an insane POV.
Speak for yourself, then, regarding what you consider progress. If you want to pay to demo products, when before you could do it for free, what kind of direction are you stumbling toward? When, before, has a software company asked potential buyers to pay to demo their product?

machinesworking
KVRAF
4450 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Wed May 25, 2022 4:39 pm

concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:58 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm You can potentially argue there’s no progress, but It can’t be a step backwards, that’s an insane POV.
Speak for yourself, then, regarding what you consider progress. If you want to pay to demo products, when before you could do it for free, what kind of direction are you stumbling toward? When, before, has a software company asked potential buyers to pay to demo their product?
UVI mostly do sample libraries for their own sampler/workstations. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any company ever having you download their 5gb to 1tb libraries for “demo”. i’m not a fan of subscription but the old method is to hear a demo song then buy the library, and in the case of most companies there’s no reselling the sample library…

concon
Banned

Post Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 pm

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:39 pm
UVI mostly do sample libraries for their own sampler/workstations. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any company ever having you download their 5gb to 1tb libraries for “demo”. i’m not a fan of subscription but the old method is to hear a demo song then buy the library, and in the case of most companies there’s no reselling the sample library…
Really? You've never demo'd Halion? Or Avenger?

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF

Post Wed May 25, 2022 9:14 pm

I’m talking about the situation just in terms if Falcon and the other UVI products. It’s gone from having to buy products outright to demo them to that AND an option to pay a month sub to use everything they make.
That can’t be seen as going backwards unless you’re dense.

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"

concon
Banned

Post Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:14 pm
I’m talking about the situation just in terms if Falcon and the other UVI products. It’s gone from having to buy products outright to demo them to that AND an option to pay a month sub to use everything they make.
I’m not saying you’re stupid, because that would be abuse. But what you’re saying is one of the stupidest comments I’ve heard all week. Well, maybe for more than a month. You're missing the game UVI is playing here. First you have to pay to demo the product line, something no other company makes you do. That's a backward step, demo-wise. You've shelled out money on a maybe. You really don't get that? After your paid-for trial, if you like it and are willing to continue paying the subscription rate, the company has you hooked, because everything you do with it is yours ONLY IF YOU KEEP ON PAYING. Otherwise, anything left unmixed and unbounced on your DAW using these subscription products is lost. If you want to do that with your money, as we used to joke in New York, then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you....

plexuss
KVRAF
4975 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 pm

Are you guys talking about the UVI subscription? I think it's a nice addtion to their status quo. It accommodates people that prefer a subscription and now there is a way to try out products before buying, even if it means paying a fee for a month of access to everything. I can choose not to pay for a month of sub and I am back to UVI the way it was which was fine. I can work around not having a demo. No biggie.

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF

Post Wed May 25, 2022 10:20 pm

concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 pm First you have to pay to demo the product line, something no other company makes you do.
EastWest and I'm sure others do though they do offer a 30 day free trial of ComposerCloud which is something UVI could probably learn from.
concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 pm That's a backward step, demo-wise. You've shelled out money on a maybe. You really don't get that? After your paid-for trial, if you like it and are willing to continue paying the subscription rate, the company has you hooked, because everything you do with it is yours ONLY IF YOU KEEP ON PAYING.
Otherwise, anything left unmixed and unbounced on your DAW using these subscription products is lost. If you want to do that with your money, as we used to joke in New York, then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you....
No you don't. They're not removing the buy option that was already in place so you can just buy the products and use them forever.

The 'game' UVI are playing is adopting the same hybrid model a number of other makers have. You railing against that is neither here nor there, it's a fact of life.
anything left unmixed and unbounced on your DAW using these subscription products is lost.
well you'd be pretty dumb to not do that then

digitallysane
KVRist
128 posts since 11 Mar, 2021 from Romania

Post Wed May 25, 2022 10:42 pm

concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:28 pm
digitallysane wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:44 pm
concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:53 am The subscription option to try a product effectively amounts to paying for a demo.
No it doesn't.
It's not an option to try a product, it's a commercial license to use in production.
I respectfully disagree. In this day and age, with hardly anyone making much money off music, a "commercial" license doesn't have much meaning here. The company is charging money if you want to try using their product. That's the effective proposition. Otherwise, you can't try their product.
Complete BS. You keep projecting your twist on reality as an actual fact, freely assigning your own meaning to things like commercial licenses or demos.

You can rent the software for a month for commercial use. That's it.
If you choose to do that strictly to check the software, that's your business.
Just like before, there is no demo, only commercial licenses.

PieBerger
KVRian
1399 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Wed May 25, 2022 10:47 pm

concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:14 pm
I’m not saying you’re stupid, because that would be abuse. But what you’re saying is one of the stupidest comments I’ve heard all week. Well, maybe for more than a month. You're missing the game UVI is playing here. First you have to pay to demo the product line, something no other company makes you do. That's a backward step, demo-wise. You've shelled out money on a maybe. You really don't get that? After your paid-for trial, if you like it and are willing to continue paying the subscription rate, the company has you hooked, because everything you do with it is yours ONLY IF YOU KEEP ON PAYING. Otherwise, anything left unmixed and unbounced on your DAW using these subscription products is lost. If you want to do that with your money, as we used to joke in New York, then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you....
Omnisphere, no demo, most Kontakt libraries, direct from NI or third party, no demos. You can demo the entire UVI FX lineup, it's just Falcon and the sampled content that you cannot demo for free, which although sh!tty, is no different to their direct competition, but unlike their competition they are offering potential customers a chance to sample their entire product range for a relatively low fee with flexible, no strings terms.

People interested in sample libraries will already have money in the bank as it were, because watching/reading demos/reviews and then paying full price for a product, without a demo is the norm for these kinds of products. After the month is up they will either buy the product/s they (should have) already budgeted for or they will leave $24 lighter, but potentially hundreds of $ better off compared to buying and regretting without any kind of trial at all.

I'll take a free, infinite trial period (with light crackling, u-he style) over any other demo terms, given the choice, but if it's a case of no demo at all or one month paid sub, then the sub wins. If people are too lazy to bounce out stems to backup parts created with any kind of time limited product, paid for or otherwise, that's on them.
Always Read the Manual!

concon
Banned

Post Wed May 25, 2022 11:08 pm

plexuss wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 pm Are you guys talking about the UVI subscription? I think it's a nice addtion to their status quo. It accommodates people that prefer a subscription and now there is a way to try out products before buying, even if it means paying a fee for a month of access to everything. I can choose not to pay for a month of sub and I am back to UVI the way it was which was fine. I can work around not having a demo. No biggie.
Well good for you.

concon
Banned

Post Wed May 25, 2022 11:12 pm

it's just Falcon and the sampled content that you cannot demo for free, which although sh!tty, is no different to their direct competition, but unlike their competition they are offering potential customers a chance to sample their entire product range for a relatively low fee with flexible, no strings terms."

Falcon's direct competition is Halion, and Halion gives you a free demo, also with no strings attached.
Last edited by concon on Wed May 25, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

concon
Banned

Post Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:20 pm
concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 pm First you have to pay to demo the product line, something no other company makes you do.
EastWest and I'm sure others do though they do offer a 30 day free trial of ComposerCloud which is something UVI could probably learn from.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? DOES EASTWEST OFFER A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OR NOT?
concon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 pm That's a backward step, demo-wise. You've shelled out money on a maybe. You really don't get that? After your paid-for trial, if you like it and are willing to continue paying the subscription rate, the company has you hooked, because everything you do with it is yours ONLY IF YOU KEEP ON PAYING.
Otherwise, anything left unmixed and unbounced on your DAW using these subscription products is lost. If you want to do that with your money, as we used to joke in New York, then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you....
No you don't. They're not removing the buy option that was already in place so you can just buy the products and use them forever.

YEAH, SURE, AND THE PRICE NOW IS ADDED TO THE $24 BUCKS YOU'VE JUST BLOWN ON A DEMO.
The 'game' UVI are playing is adopting the same hybrid model a number of other makers have. You railing against that is neither here nor there, it's a fact of life.
NO, THERE'S NO BRICK WALL HERE OF REALITY. YOUR SHEEPLIKE PASSIVITY IS DISMAYING. MUSICIANS SHOULD RESIST GETTING SUCKED INTO BAD SCHEMES. I'M TRYING TO BE HELPFUL.
anything left unmixed and unbounced on your DAW using these subscription products is lost.
well you'd be pretty dumb to not do that then
Well you'd be pretty dumb to get sucked into the arrangement in the first place. The thing is you're hooked into ALL the products for $24/month--close to $300 a year. And once you stop paying, you lose everything.
Last edited by concon on Wed May 25, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF

Post Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 pm

It's like leasing a car or paying for time in a well equipped studio. If you go in with your eyes open it can be a good deal if it fits your needs, but this is just wandering off from the point that you can now pay a small amount to try out all the UVI range, something you could never do before.

concon
Banned

Post Wed May 25, 2022 11:41 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 pm It's like leasing a car or paying for time in a well equipped studio. If you go in with your eyes open it can be a good deal if it fits your needs, but this is just wandering off from the point that you can now pay a small amount to try out all the UVI range, something you could never do before.
We'll if they can OFFER this pay-to-play demo, then there's really no reason they can't offer a FREE demo like most other software producers do. This is just greed.

Return to “Instruments”