UVI go subscription!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alive - UVI Falcon Expansion SonicPass

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:00 pm Also, a perpetual license doesn’t mean you “own” the software.
It's been a constant legal fight since corporations saw the possibility to remove ownership... but AFAIK perpetual licenses are still considered to be goods and therefor falls under the same ownership as physical goods in most contries...

https://linustechtips.com/topic/953835- ... ropaganda/

" Despite the confusion suggested by the US' lower court rulings on software, the US, likewise to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, France, and I think the rest of the Western world, is signatory to the Nice Agreement, which is a multinational treaty that contains the International Classification of Goods and Services (also known as the Nice Classification) which puts the classification of goods and services for those countries under the jurisdiction and authority of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). The World Intellectual Property Organization classifies all forms of software as Class 9 goods, including:

090829 - computer game software, downloadable

090670 - computer game software, recorded

090589 - computer operating programs, recorded

090658 - computer programs, downloadable

090373 - computer programs, recorded

090802 - computer screen saver software, recorded or downloadable

090717 - computer software applications, downloadable

090791 - computer software platforms, recorded or downloadable

090591 - computer software, recorded

Correspondingly, the US Patent and Trademark Office also classifies all software as goods. "

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:00 pm You just have a license to use it. So if a company decides to sell itself (Camel Audio for example) what good is your perpetual license?
Well how about you can still run Camel Audio if you have the hardware setup that support it, try doing that several years later with a subscription that works the way Roland Coud does.

YnJ wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:04 am
vertibration wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:28 am You guys know there are producers out there who write whole albums with just Serum, and they are extremely successful right? Amazing albums with just a few tools.

Why would anyone want to spend up to $1000 a year on software? That is just crazy.
So, people who spend money on things they are interested in are crazy? People spend $1000 or more on all sort of things they don't need to spend that much on, or anything at all. I spend more than $1000 every year on books, I guess that makes me a raving lunetic, and I know several people who spend more than $1000 on clothes, going to live shows with bands they like, on their classic car, and on and on. All raving lunetics I guess
Word, you right, you right

"You guys know there are producers out there who write whole albums with just Serum, and they are extremely successful right? Amazing albums with just a few tools."

Irrelevant.
Diogenes lived in a bathtub. I prefer to live in a house. Because I can and because it's my money I'm throwing away on a wasteful house rather than that economic and perfectly usable tub. Whataboutery much?

I just hope we don’t see fewer or less generous sales from UVI going forward as they look to make the subscription look like better value.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 am Same basic issue with NI, Izotope, UVI, Arturia etc.. There is only so much stuff users will lust for, only so many synths you can sample, effects you can provide.
Komplete is already beyond the scale where the two or three new things make users hungry to update to the latest.
For me, the allure of a good subscription service is not a lust for a specific thing within it, it is instead a lust for the power of the whole.

Hard to put this distinction into words... but it has to do with not caring so much about the ownership of any tools, but rather an excitement for access to a great workspace where I can create the stuff I want, with more ease and a wonderful palette of colors.

My lust is for what I can do with the tools, rather than the tools themselves.

What I will own is the music created.

Good job UVI.. Another OPTION! Obviously you don't have to participate in subs.. no big deal if you do or don't, but Im glad there's another option.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

SLiC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:55 am I think if 'Soundwide' do one subscription that covers all NI products, all iZotope Products and all PA products then all other subscriptions will become redundant anyway!
Yes indeed. If(when) Soundwide offers a sub that covers the full product range of all of the partners, it would be very comprehensive.

nightjar wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:37 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:55 am I think if 'Soundwide' do one subscription that covers all NI products, all iZotope Products and all PA products then all other subscriptions will become redundant anyway!
Yes indeed. If(when) Soundwide offers a sub that covers the full product range of all of the partners, it would be very comprehensive.
But considering what rubbish NI offers in the current subscription for that amount of money you can be sure that IF there should be some day a complete sub package out there it would be super expensive...
NI´s current offer is a joke and charging 9,99€ a month is really a cheek and if they would include all the rest it´s not hard to imagine that they would charge at least 30-40€ a month if not more...

iZotope already offers the complete sub for 20,-€ a month

PA offers their Brainworx sub as well for 13,-$ or about 15,-€ (incl. VAT) or 25,-$ or 30,-€ (incl. Vat) ... the latter offer at least with some cashback

So a complete subscription out of those 3 would be most probably around the 60-70,-€ mark per month...

I am not interested... :D

around5.6 years ago I would have actually subscribed to komplete, it has so much stuff and the update cycle of two years to me it is the only thing that made sense as subscription.
dedication to flying

Trancit wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:40 am NI [...] 9,99€ a month
iZotope [...] 20,-€ a month
PA [...] 30,-€ (incl. Vat)
So a complete subscription out of those 3 would be most probably around the 60-70,-€ mark per month...
If they offer an all-encompassing subscription -and imho they´re bound to do that soon-, I expect $19,99 for a decent entry package, $34,99 for a regular tier, and $49,99 for a "premium" tier (including izotope rx advanced, a bunch of sounds.com-credits and the extra sample content from NI that´s otherwise reserved for the komplete collector´s editions). Maybe 10% off on annual subscriptions.

epiphaneia wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:53 am If they offer an all-encompassing subscription -and imho they´re bound to do that soon-, I expect $19,99 for a decent entry package, $34,99 for a regular tier, and $49,99 for a "premium" tier (including izotope rx advanced, a bunch of sounds.com-credits and the extra sample content from NI that´s otherwise reserved for the komplete collector´s editions). Maybe 10% off on annual subscriptions.
After NI has already shown a bit they like to charge more I don´t see this low prices...

But let´s wait and see... 8)

"To each their own"
There was a time when I´d naively agree with that, talking about the marketplace. But it doesn´t work that way in the real world. There is no better way to divide and conquer than promoting market consumer individualism, the consumer collective can´t be divided in smaller units than that. For the corporate interests to exploit.

"Of course the subscription is an option, you can still buy and own the product."
-- Yeah, right, and what happens some time after that, if enough people fall for this?

See, don´t touch. Touch, don´t taste. Taste, don´t swallow. Step by step, they condition the consumer -- and citizen -- collectives. And, of course, the goal is, as others have pointed out, "by 2030, you will own nothing and be happy". Serfdom, in other words, for 99,99999% of the population.

Take a look at China today and you´ll see the West in a few years. Or vote NO by not buying anything from the corporations and politicians that show such tendencies.

Today I don´t know what I despise the most, the evil machinations behind all corporate/globalist BS, or the cattle who never learn and time and again fall for it -- and even spit on the ones who warn. So many people want to be slaves.

I've said it a million times here and always get flamed for it. There is no significant trend for developers to go from perpetual-only to subscription-option, to subscription-only.

Adobe did it 10 years ago. Avid have sort of done it last month, but those on perpetual can stay current going forward, so even this is a halfway house at least for now (as a PT license-holder, nothing has changed for me). Someone did mention one other audio developer that I hadn't heard of and now can't remember.

That's it. Every other example people throw around isn't an audio developer. Or people believe a developer is subs-only when they are not (such as iZotope), and they make a loud principled noise saying they will never use them again as a result of something that hasn't happened. Most developers say things like UVI have, saying they have no plans to end perpetual, but the groupthink never believes this because of all the other times this hasn't happened.

I don't know how many developers have launched subscription plans in the last decade - gazillions. A clear trend. But there's still next to no evidence of a further trend that will end perpetual.

There are so many massive - overwhelming - problems in the world, we really don't need to invent any more. Live and let live.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:15 pm I don't know how many developers have launched subscription plans in the last decade - gazillions. A clear trend. But there's still next to no evidence of a further trend that will end perpetual.
Wait until each of them have enough people on subscription.

SHall1000 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:31 pm I just hope we don’t see fewer or less generous sales from UVI going forward as they look to make the subscription look like better value.
They usually have one item on sale each weekend, but nothing last weekend or this weekend while the Sonicpass launch is on………….just saying.

Return to “Instruments”