DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Kein Problem. :)

Here's a complete description of all of DUNE 3's filters from the manual for anyone considering trying the demo:

Clean Multi-Mode
The clean filter models resemble analog filters with a largely clean direct path, such as OTA-based
ladder filters. Only the feedback path contains mild saturation, in order to prevent the resonance
from ramping to infinity at high resonant levels. The clean nature of the filters and their moderate
CPU usage makes them an excellent choice for many sounds.
• CL Lowpass 12 dB
A two-pole lowpass filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
• CL Lowpass 18 dB
A three-pole lowpass filter, with 18 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
• CL Lowpass 24 dB
A four-pole lowpass filter, with 24 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
• CL Bandpass 12 dB
A two-pole bandpass filter, with 6 dB attenuation per octave around the cutoff frequency.
• CL Bandpass 24 dB
A four-pole bandpass filter with 12 dB attenuation per octave around the cutoff frequency.
DUNE 3 User’s Manual - 39
• CL Highpass 12 dB
A two-pole highpass filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave below the cutoff frequency.
• CL Highpass 24 dB
A four-pole highpass filter, with 24 dB attenuation per octave below the cutoff frequency.
• CL Notch
A four-pole band-reject filter (Notch) filter.
• CL Deep Notch
Like CL Notch, but produces deeper notches in the frequency spectrum.
Expander
The Expander filters are analog-inspired lowpass filters. In contrast to the Clean Multi-Mode filters,
the Expander filters have saturation in both the direct signal path as well as the feedback path.
• XP Lowpass 12 dB
A two-pole lowpass filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
• XP Lowpass 24 dB
A four-pole lowpass filter, with 24 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
Comb Filter
A comb filter is a special filter that uses a delay to create a series of notches in the frequency
response. This creates a special timbre that can be adjusted via the cutoff knob.
Since the comb filter does not remove high frequencies, it is often useful to add a low-pass filter
as a second filter in series following the comb filter. Using keytracking, the comb filter is also
tunable.

Analog-Modeled
The analog-modeled filters are the most accurate reproductions of typical analog filters in DUNE.
With the exception of the Alpha filter, the analog-modeled filters use 3x oversampling to improve
their accuracy and feature multiple non-linearities. Thus, they are computationally more
expensive than the other filters in DUNE. Note that for many patches the CL or XP filter types
above are fully sufficient, so some care should be taken when to use the analog-modeled filters.
• Alpha 24 dB
A four-pole lowpass filter based on a state-variable design, with 24 dB attenuation per octave
above the cutoff frequency.
• Polaris 24 dB
A four-pole lowpass filter with 24 dB attenuation per octave, inspired by the CEM 3372 chip.
A unique sounding chip which was put only into a handful of hardware synthesizers.
• Pro 12 dB
Enhanced version of the Transistor ladder filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave.
• Pro 24 dB
Enhanced version of the Transistor ladder filter, with 24 dB attenuation per octave.
• Saturn 24 dB
A four-pole filter based on a frequently used custom OTA chip. This filter type can be used
to simulate a wide range of vintage-analog synthesizers.
DUNE 3 User’s Manual - 41
Brickwall
The Brickwall filters in DUNE 3 are special filters featuring a very steep slope. This can be useful
to filter out unwanted frequencies in the bass or treble part of the spectrum.
• BW Lowpass 36 dB
A six-pole lowpass filter.
• BW Highpass 36 dB
A six-pole highpass filter.
Transistor Ladder
The transistor ladder filters are exclusively low-pass types and resemble analog transistor-based
designs. The key feature of those filters is that they contain saturation in all stages, thus coloring
incoming signals even without any resonance applied.
The transistor filters require substantially more CPU than the multi-mode filters.
• TR Lowpass 12 dB
• TR Lowpass 18 dB
A three-pole lowpass filter, with 18 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
• BW Lowpass 60 dB
A ten-pole lowpass filter.
• BW Highpass 60 dB
A ten-pole highpass filter.
DUNE 3 User’s Manual - 42
• TR Lowpass 24 dB
• TR Lowpass 30 dB
A five-pole lowpass filter, with 30 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
Acid Lowpass
This special filter mimics a four-pole transistor network with unbuffered filter stages. The result
is a rather dark timbre, unlike any of the other filter types.
Sallen-Key
The Sallen-Key filters are two-pole, multi-mode filter designs. What makes them special is the
sound of the resonance. It features strong distortion, making for a very aggressive sound.
• SK Lowpass 12 dB
• SK Bandpass 12 dB
A two-pole bandpass filter, with 6 dB attenuation per octave on either side around the cutoff
• SK Highpass 12 dB
A two-pole highpass filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave below the cutoff frequency.
Dune
DUNE 3 incorporates two filter types from DUNE 1 ("Lowpass 12dB" and "Lowpass 24dB"),
to facilitate creating patches that sound similar to DUNE 1 patches.
• Dune 12 dB
A two-pole low-pass filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave above the cutoff frequency.
DUNE 3 User’s Manual - 43
• Dune 24 dB
A four-pole low-pass filter, with 24 dB attenuation per octave below the cutoff frequency.

D3 Filters.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So does Dune have 8 parts per preset? (like old Roland digital synths have 4 parts)

If so is there really any presets which make use of all 8 parts?

Are there are good pads soundbanks for download, free or paid?

So are you stuck with the default categories within the USER folder? I thought I could just create a directory with my desired category name and it would show up but they don't?
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

You can, but you have to create a config.ini file which defines them.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:20 pm You can, but you have to create a config.ini file which defines them.

rsp
nice one thanks :clap:
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:20 pm You can, but you have to create a config.ini file which defines them.

rsp
so I found this post ( viewtopic.php?p=8264275#p8264275 ) and got some default text and edited my config.ini to reflect my added categories file inside of \custom as below but they don't show up? None of this is mentioned in the manual:

; Soundbank configuration file for Synapse Patches Browser

; The defined categories will be added to the category list
; Please use common names, such as Bass, Sequences etc.

AddCategories = Atmos,Drive,Leads (soft),Organ, Pads (FX),Special

Indeed it isn't.. I guess they consider it more a hack than normal operation.

Not sure if it likes ()....
Try Atmos, Drive, Leads Soft, Organ, Pads FX, Special

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 pm Indeed it isn't.. I guess they consider it more a hack than normal operation.

Not sure if it likes ()....
Try Atmos, Drive, Leads Soft, Organ, Pads FX, Special

rsp
Actually I had to reload soundbanks, now its working. Thanks.

Oh. Great
Rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 pm Indeed it isn't.. I guess they consider it more a hack than normal operation.
Or they simply forgot to update the manual. You could let them know that explanation is missing.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

rubez wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:39 am So does Dune have 8 parts per preset? (like old Roland digital synths have 4 parts)
In a way. DUNE 3 is not multi-timbral in the sense that it can't have different midi channels on different layers (called voices) or split points.

Look at it like 8 separate synths. Beside Unison at the Osc level you can also apply Unison to the Voice Layers so in that case it's quite possible for a patch to use all 8 voice layers.

As an example you can have one or more layers with VA Oscs, one or more with WT Oscs, one or more with FM Oscs and one or more with the Sample Osc or any combination of the above.

In that way you can build up very lush and complex sounds without needing all 8 layers but they are there if you need them. :wink:
rubez wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:39 amAre there are good pads soundbanks for download, free or paid?
Here's a thread with a lot of links to patches:

https://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtop ... 08&start=0

Yea you're welcome.

2023, and still no microtuning support in sight..

Is anyone have issues sending emails to synaspe audio website,? I keep getting failed emails I don't know why , I hope Richard sees this as I don't want to disturb him.

Lectropunk aka influx808 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:04 pm Is anyone have issues sending emails to synaspe audio website,? I keep getting failed emails I don't know why , I hope Richard sees this as I don't want to disturb him.
Hit them up on Synapse's site forum, they are responsive there.

Return to “Instruments”