Deluxe Memory Man 550 TT , chips query ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone tell me what chips does this pedal have ?

Old ones or new Chinese ones ?

From the horses mouth
https://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-memory-man-550-tt/

"The Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT is, however, only occasionally available and subject to our ability to find the very rare NOS IC’s it requires."

"NOS Panasonic bucket brigade ICs"

lfm wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:44 am From the horses mouth

"The Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT is, however, only occasionally available and subject to our ability to find the very rare NOS IC’s it requires."

He's not asking about the 1100-TT though, he's asking about the 550-TT. And the full quote hints that the 550-TT isnt using the same BBD ICs as the 1100-TT
The Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT is, however, only occasionally available and subject to our ability to find the very rare NOS IC’s it requires. That’s why we’ve created the new Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT.
Looking elsewhere you'd have found the following, an older version of that text which actually answers the OPs question.
The Deluxe Memory Man w/Tap 1100mS is, however, was only occasionally available with the very rare MN3005 NOS ICs it requires. Thas why weve created the new Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT. It shares all the powerful features of the 1100mS unit, except for its longer delay time, by using four NOS MN3008 chips.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Cliveluis wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:26 am Can someone tell me what chips does this pedal have ?

Old ones or new Chinese ones ?
Note to self: NOS = New Old Stock.

Are you querying about one that's fresh from the factory or a second-hand one from 2012?

Xvive produces fine MN300x chips these days, no idea where their plant is (probably in China). If EH says "Panasonic", then it should be Panasonic/Matsushita. Whether they came from a Japanese, Chinese or Malaysian plant should not matter much, all should be within the tolerances quoted in the data sheet or they don't deserve the chip model number printed on them.
Last edited by BertKoor on Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

does it matter?

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:55 pmdoes it matter?

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:04 am
lfm wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:44 am From the horses mouth

He's not asking about the 1100-TT though, he's asking about the 550-TT. And the full quote hints that the 550-TT isnt using the same BBD ICs as the 1100-TT
The Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT is, however, only occasionally available and subject to our ability to find the very rare NOS IC’s it requires. That’s why we’ve created the new Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT.
Looking elsewhere you'd have found the following, an older version of that text which actually answers the OPs question.
The Deluxe Memory Man w/Tap 1100mS is, however, was only occasionally available with the very rare MN3005 NOS ICs it requires. Thas why weve created the new Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT. It shares all the powerful features of the 1100mS unit, except for its longer delay time, by using four NOS MN3008 chips.

which ones do I have?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

well, they are labelled MN3008.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:48 am well, they are labelled MN3008.
I meant are these chinese ones or panasonic?

The logo on that actually looks like the Mitsubishi one, which would also be NOS, I think.
Would EHX use a modern chinese clone that had a counterfeit Mitsubishi brand imprint? Doubtful.

But if you want to be sure, take a note of your serial number and email it to EHX and ask.

I'd say the 06 or 31 or 54 is like a version number.
That seems like, but is not the exact Mitsubishi logo. It's Matsushita:
Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 14.15.21.png
(source)

Mitsubishi and Panasonic (founded by mr. Matushita) are very Japanese. China and Japan weren't always good friends, to put mildly. My grandparents had a severe allergy towards all things Japanese (concentration camps in Indonesia) and they never had a First Sony. You have a similar thing about Chinese?

After reading some discussions elsewhere, there are stories about cheap chinese BBD chips. But this is about using a design around reissued MN32xx series (made in China) instead of the MN30xx series. These are not inferior because of where they were made, but because they work on a lower voltage and thus have a far lower dynamical range. You can't simply put a MN32xx where a MN30xx is supposed to be and expect the box to function. It does not work like that. Chips have to adhere to their spec sheet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BertKoor wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:57 am Image
I'd say the 06 or 31 or 54 is like a version number.
That seems like, but is not the exact Mitsubishi logo. It's Matsushita:
Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 14.15.21.png
(source)

Mitsubishi and Panasonic (founded by mr. Matushita) are very Japanese. China and Japan weren't always good friends, to put mildly. My grandparents had a severe allergy towards all things Japanese (concentration camps in Indonesia) and they never had a First Sony. You have a similar thing about Chinese?

After reading some discussions elsewhere, there are stories about cheap chinese BBD chips. But this is about using a design around reissued MN32xx series (made in China) instead of the MN30xx series. These are not inferior because of where they were made, but because they work on a lower voltage and thus have a far lower dynamical range. You can't simply put a MN32xx where a MN30xx is supposed to be and expect the box to function. It does not work like that. Chips have to adhere to their spec sheet.
Thank you , that was helpful

I just bought a DMM 550-Tt, the sound is very similar to my Moog 104m delay on the short delay setting the panasonic mn3008 sound incredible and I didn’t have any noise issues like some people claim even with the delay time maxed. At first I was thinking of sending it back, but then I played on it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”