Various ES-9 issues

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all, since I got an ES-9, I have been running into issues where when I load a project template in Ableton that contains VCV rack with the ES-9 running in it as an interface, Ableton will crash. Ableton also occasionally crashes when I turn the ES-9 on, or when I set its buffer size in VCV Rack. That was until recently, when it stopped registering with my computer altogether until I redownloaded the firmware, which fixed it, but resumed after I unplugged the ES-9 from USB on accident. I have tried reorienting and replacing the USB cable, reinstalling the firmware as I explained, power cycling my rack, and rebooting my computer, all of which did not work.

I am running Ableton through Rosetta on an M1 Pro Macbook, though the inability of the ES-9 to connect is not Ableton, as it does not register as an audio device.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is it normal for the USB cable on the ES-9 to warm up? Both cables I tried did that.

Since yesterday, it has continued to sporadically reconnect, only to disconnect again when I open Ableton or load a template with VCV Rack in it.

Ok wait, I actually just narrowed down the issue with it not being detected to the cable needing to be held down. Since I've used two different cables, it may be the actual port on the ES-9 thats loose, but I've ordered a new cable, and I'll report back when it gets here.

Ok I figured it out myself,

To anyone who has the same issues; the computer wouldn't recognize the connection because of the cord I was using, so I got cord that fits more snugly in the port, and now it doesn't disconnect if i accidentally knock it near as much.

And if you have the same issues with VCV Rack and Ableton, make sure to set the ES 9 as the audio interface in VCV Rack, and then in Ableton in that order, and it won't crash on startup. If it's set in VCV Rack in a template, select "No Device" in Ableton Audio preferences and then set it back after VCV Rack is loaded in.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”