Any way to (legally) download Pro Tools First?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since it has been discontinued by Avid, I can't find it on their site, but maybe I overlooked it and it's still available?

No_Use wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:06 pm Since it has been discontinued by Avid, I can't find it on their site, but maybe I overlooked it and it's still available?
Why bother when you have other free alternatives like Studio One 5 Prime, and err Bandlab ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:18 pm Why bother when you have other free alternatives like Studio One 5 Prime, and err Bandlab ?
That's not an answer to my question.

Doesn't look like there is a way to download PT First any longer. This was dated back in January:

"Pro Tools | First has been discontinued. There are no new downloads or new licenses. Existing users of Pro Tools First (that have Pro Tools | First in their Avid and iLok accounts) will be able to continue using the product and work on their projects".

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... -this-mean
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

As its cloud based and you can’t get a license anymore it wouldn’t help if I hand you an installer. I deleted it a day after giving it a try. Reaper with a ProTools skin is what I use instead (in case Bitwig doesn’t cut it).
The installations of the full versions I am supervising are buggy and have the worst support imaginable. They take money for the permission to report bugs instead of paying bug hunters…

If it's just about demoing, there are trial versions of Pro Tools available?

It's not just about demoing, for some things it's handy to have the so called 'industry standard' available imo (even if it's just a cut down version), my main DAW is also something else.
"Pro Tools | First has been discontinued. There are no new downloads or new licenses. Existing users of Pro Tools First (that have Pro Tools | First in their Avid and iLok accounts) will be able to continue using the product and work on their projects".
Damnit seems I have been too slow then. :/
Thanks.

No_Use wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:03 pm It's not just about demoing, for some things it's handy to have the so called 'industry standard' available imo (even if it's just a cut down version), my main DAW is also something else.
IIRC, it's a very cut down version, but, YMMV.

As far as I remember, that version could act as ProTools player. It could load bigger projects, but then you couldn’t edit them, or record into…

If it's been discontinued, how can it be the industry standard? It can not, as far as they are concerned that would currently be protools artist or whatever, for which you have to pay. If you don't want to pay, then you can't do it legally. Even if you had it in your account before and lost it somehow, it still works out the same if they are no longer providing a download for it. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:06 am If it's been discontinued, how can it be the industry standard?
Because its just a specific tier/version of ProTools that has been discontinued, not the entire product range? Obviously ProTools still exists, and is still as industry standard as it ever was.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

pekbro wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:06 amEven if you had it in your account before and lost it somehow, it still works out the same if they are no longer providing a download for it. :shrug:
If you had it in your account, they are still providing the download.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:30 am
pekbro wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:06 amEven if you had it in your account before and lost it somehow, it still works out the same if they are no longer providing a download for it. :shrug:
If you had it in your account, they are still providing the download.
Ahh, well good on them, it seems pretty clear though, that anyone who doesn't happen to have that, would be shit out of luck if they were not willing to pay the sub.

pekbro wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:50 am Ahh, well good on them, it seems pretty clear though, that anyone who doesn't happen to have that, would be shit out of luck if they were not willing to pay the sub.
There was no subscription, it was a free version.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:05 am
pekbro wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:50 am Ahh, well good on them, it seems pretty clear though, that anyone who doesn't happen to have that, would be shit out of luck if they were not willing to pay the sub.
There was no subscription, it was a free version.
i know, pretty sure i have it in my account, i just deleted it after checking it out iirc. Interestingly,
I can still run version 7 perfectly well on my powerbook G4 and mbox 2. Anyway, seems like Avid
has given up on giving stuff away for free, no?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”