Point of 3rd party software drum samplers?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you guys use software drum samplers? I'm struggling to think how I would apply a drum sampler into my productions.

I use FL Studio, and for a drum shot I just load an audio file into the dedicated 'sampler' instrument.

I'm looking at TAL Drum at the moment and trying to figure out if it would be worth purchasing.

If you can't see a reason to get it then you're probably right! Some people like very particular workflows and are willing to go the extra mile to use a 3rd party plugin that suits them better.

I'm not familiar with the FL sampler (does it allow you to load multiple samples into the same instance and trigger them with different notes?) But if you like it stick with it, never allow yourself to think that something is better just because it costs more to get.

Have you seen Reapers built-in sampler? ;)

For this simple stuff, I use Sitala purely because it allows me to save kits etc and is a lot tidier than having multiple RS5ks across tracks (Reapers sampler). Sounds like this is effectively built into FL so I wouldn't fret about it unless you feel you're lacking somthing.

GaryG wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:26 am Have you seen Reapers built-in sampler? ;)
I use RS5K almost exclusively nowadays. It was an acquired taste though. Coming from FL (for composition, anyway), I got spoiled with the key detection stuff. Luckily they added that!

I bought the TAL one and it's pretty good but yeah, if your DAW already has one and you like it, there's really no point. I like using different samplers for the same reason I like using different synths: they throw me off autopilot.

scarletdawn wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:16 pm
GaryG wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:26 am Have you seen Reapers built-in sampler? ;)
I use RS5K almost exclusively nowadays. It was an acquired taste though. Coming from FL (for composition, anyway), I got spoiled with the key detection stuff. Luckily they added that!
Yes, adding the pitch detection was pretty cool.

As I said I use Sitala for kits, quick and lazy but do have a template with maybe half a dozen RS5Ks routed to separate tracks. I do like the drop down to choose other sample in the folder, better than just working through them as you do in Sitala. Actually arranged my sample into category folders to take advantage of this (not the big kits but then I wouldn't use RS5K for those).

I also bought Waves CR8 as it works very nicely with Reaper I found but not as a drum sampler, having to change the note ranges everytime yo uload a new sample sucks.

Also; the drum samplers that i know of (native to their daw or 3rd party) come with presets. And they can be a huge lifesaver when you are jamming out, or when you want to get an idea down quickly. Not to mention that some of those presets can sound really good (there are a LOT of drum rack presets available for Ableton that really sound good)

If you need a drum sampler I recommend Poise. The interface is small but the functionality is ace and it comes with sample content. Another option is buying Cubase LE for $10 which gives you access to get Groove Agent SE. I did that, it works great in REAPER and also comes with a lot of content. There's also RS5K Manager script which turns RS5K into a powerful drum sampler with a proper GIU.

I like to create very "lively" drums which requires modulation capabilities. For example, I might use velocity to modulate filter cutoff and envelope attack. Don't use FL though, maybe that's possible with the sampler.

Waves has the CR8 sampler it's almost granular the way you can play with it. I would suggest looking up granulizers in general because those should give you the most creative freedom for sampling.

Erik_Lucas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:59 pm How do you guys use software drum samplers? I'm struggling to think how I would apply a drum sampler into my productions.
I use FL Studio, and for a drum shot I just load an audio file into the dedicated 'sampler' instrument.
I use FL Studio's sample based FPC drum plugin in every project. You can build multi-layer drum kits (with random capabilities) save them, and have them right at hand to reload when working on a new project.

Another advantage is the FPC publishes its note names to the piano roll and that allows you to have your drums all contained in a single piano roll:

FPC 4.png

I would check out the FPC before considering buying another drum sampler but having said that I could see buying the Tal drum plugin to use in other DAWs.

FPC 3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

In FL, you really don't need a 3rd party sampler because its sampler is quite good and well-integrated with workflow, drag and drop to channel rack and you're already ready. . However, in Studio One, I really hate Impact and Sample One and trying to use something else, tried Waves' CR8 and NI Battery but they didn't appeal to my workflow.

To be honest, I just want something similar to FL's channel rack/sampler.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”