Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought I would never touch Reason again, but looking at the $143 upgrade in AudioDeluxe (with their additional discount code), then remembering the rude support, then looking at the few good synths (racks) I bought, ooufff!

Damn! How weak I am?! At this price, even if they mark it as NFR for me, I don't mind!! (I'm considering it NFR as I can feel the angry Maori look at me from the Reason's support if I want to sell it later, they will eat me alive :hihi: )

Anyway, treating it like a 'super' workstation (no vst folders) is what I'm intending to do! Not much learning will be spent (if nothing at all!). I think it is a fast environment to be productive. They fixed all the graphics issues it seems. The old good devices really look nice now :)

I would consider Reason if I were a beatmaker who wanted to use generic hardware and have a bit more recording workflow convenience than something like MPC or Maschine. It feels more like a Groovebox than a Studio DAW, to me.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 pm I would consider Reason if I were a beatmaker who wanted to use generic hardware and have a bit more recording workflow convenience than something like MPC or Maschine. It feels more like a Groovebox than a Studio DAW, to me.
Really? Why do you think that?

I find its workflow refreshing and to be honest I can be productive with only its internal devices and some rack extensions. It boosts my productivity actually!

There are some minor complains I have about the hardware support. I have Arturia keylab mk ii and the integration is not that good. I don't blame Reason Studios, but Arturia mainly.

Also, did they get rid of the blocks?!! I can't find it!

Edit: I found it! It is in the option menu (disabled by default!).

Trensharo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 pm I would consider Reason if I were a beatmaker who wanted to use generic hardware and have a bit more recording workflow convenience than something like MPC or Maschine. It feels more like a Groovebox than a Studio DAW, to me.
Yeah, with the emphasis being on you :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

EnGee wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 pm
Well, the last time I praised Reason's audio-editors (I think it was here in this thread), he suggested we should use some random audio-editor instead, because it was better at editing audio. duh! :lol:

So don't hold your breath expecting much of a reasonable reply, I'd say.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:58 am
Well, the last time I praised Reason's audio-editors (I think it was here in this thread), he suggested we should use some random audio-editor instead, because it was better at editing audio. duh! :lol:

So don't hold your breath expecting much of a reasonable reply, I'd say.
I'm just curious :)

Well, at a time I also considered Reason to be inferior, but lately I've taken a different approach and ignoring the criticism. I found myself liking several DAWs and the last one is Reason because, in short, it's really good.

The question I ask myself, can I be productive with this DAW? Does it lack something essential? Is it a pleasure to work with?

Four DAWs are pleasure to make music with, and they are Bitwig, Live, Studio One and Reason. They are not perfect and everyone has advantages over the others, but they make me feel good and I feel satisfied with the result and the time spent.

I hope I can spend some few months with Reason and finish few pieces. All the tools I need are there (Reason with some rack extensions only, without VST support).

Shame that RS seem not to be interested in developing the sequencer/DAW side of things. I think the immediacy and sense of fun that Reason has sets it apart... it still has value as a VST, just not really for me.

I don't think it's a case of not being interested (they know the feelings of the user base, anyone can read it!) I just don't think they have the resources to do it anytime soon, its been years and they can even host a VST3...adding new toys is a lot easier than dealing with the old legacy code.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have Arturia keylab mk ii and the integration is not that good. I don't blame Reason Studios, but Arturia mainly.
Not near my computer atm, but you know you can add the KeyLab mkII as a generic controller, and then add a generic Mackie controller on another midi channel? And that there is an option in the midi tool for KeyLab to choose Reason. Right?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:56 pm
I have Arturia keylab mk ii and the integration is not that good. I don't blame Reason Studios, but Arturia mainly.
Not near my computer atm, but you know you can add the KeyLab mkII as a generic controller, and then add a generic Mackie controller on another midi channel? And that there is an option in the midi tool for KeyLab to choose Reason. Right?
If you mean set it up as a Mackie controller, then yes, I know and the transport buttons are working but for example, the faders don't control the volume in the DAW mode and the knobs don't control the pan. Even with the script of a user post it in ReasonTalk forum.

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Sad, just sad...

jens wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am Sad, just sad...
Why?

if the chords can be recognized and edited directly in the device, so no need to export for voicing

"Of course, users can still edit chords, add new ones and build custom progressions using the Player’s built-in sequencer, and progressions can easily be exported for Reason’s Rack or for any DAW." - musictech

then I wouldn't say it's sad (ok doesn't affect the main sequencer), gonna try it ASAP
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

It is not useful for me! Why they don't show the scales names?! They should display the scales 'real' names and the keys included.
Scaler 2 and some other utilites that depend on Music Theory are much more useful. This is just a collection of cliché that lead to writer's block not solve it!
Nah!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”