Could Artruia or Focusrite enter the DAW market?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Biggest surprise is the lack of hardware ecosystem's companies are making with their DAW's. Presonus have done with Studio One, but don't know what Fender will do. Not a DAW, but Maschine/Komplete Kontrol had potential with Maschine's software. They dropped the ball with that.

I always thought that Focusrite could be a company who has a DAW or Arturia could make one, and build an ecosystem around like with the keylab etc.

It is not impossible, but it seems unlikely as the DAW market is pretty crowded. if you look LUNA from UA, which to my memory is the only recent new DAW, that has not taken off outside of the usual UA fanbois.

Which is not to say there is room, but if any of those two made a DAW it would have to be something with a few new workflow (VR maybe?) or significantly improve upon what is already these.

Arturia did once already https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/arturia-storm-v3

Behringer is working on a daw

I really like the demo song of Arturia Storm :D

https://youtu.be/cHZUlQFJYdE

wuworld wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:07 pm I always thought that Focusrite could be a company who has a DAW
Good guess.
They recently released a plugin suite aimed at fast mixing which is imo quite good. That may be a hint for their plans...

jules99 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:40 pm if you look LUNA from UA, which to my memory is the only recent new DAW, that has not taken off outside of the usual UA fanbois.
That is entirely because all UA processors up until recently had been 100% dependent on UAD DSP cards. Also, LUNA has only been available to those UA users. So the only people using LUNA are going to be people with UAD cards, who, by definition, are UA fanboys.

Once UA plugins are all running native on Windows and Apple Silicon, and the DSP cards are no longer necessary, you will see much wider adoption of LUNA. It’s the only DAW I would consider switching to from Studio One. The main thing holding me back is Universal Audio’s extreme anti-consumer policies and lack of platform support.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

wuworld wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:07 pm Biggest surprise is the lack of hardware ecosystem's companies are making with their DAW's. Presonus have done with Studio One, but don't know what Fender will do. Not a DAW, but Maschine/Komplete Kontrol had potential with Maschine's software. They dropped the ball with that.

I always thought that Focusrite could be a company who has a DAW or Arturia could make one, and build an ecosystem around like with the keylab etc.
Im guessing its a huge undertaking and different skillsets.

I would think Focusrite whose focus is mainly hardware would need a much different skillset having a DAW which requires much more coding skills as well as skills in GUI, workflow.

Arturia is already pretty busy with VSTs and hardware.

NI Maschine is a good example. It is pretty hard to compete against companies whose sole focus is DAWS. And it seems like they are already busy enough as it seems like many of their plugins arent keeping up with the latest standards most likely because they are so broadly focused.

Presonus is an outlier as it took them many years (and probably alot of money) to get Studio One going.

I think there will be more DAWS coming out in the future such as Behringer but it is a huge undertaking and I can see why companies are not just coming out with DAWS left and right.

DNnX wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:51 pm I really like the demo song of Arturia Storm :D

https://youtu.be/cHZUlQFJYdE
That looks so Reason-ish.

I wouldn't mind Arturia giving it another try, but, I'm afraid that it's very difficult to get into the market, and be competitive. Probably best for them to concentrate on their instruments, effects, and hardware.

Maybe they do something like NI's Komplete Kontrol one day, which also works with their controllers.

I think Focusrite could enter the DAW market easily. Most beginner producers own a Focusrite Solo / Duo so I'm sure if they integrated their drivers more easily, it would work well. Sometimes the set up can be annoying/confusing on other DAWs so having native support would make a difference.

Why?
What major improvement could either of them offer to DAWorld?
viewtopic.php?t=568791
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:54 pm Why?
viewtopic.php?t=568791
What can they offer in the DAW world? Look at the portfolio of both, and you tell me.

wuworld wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:25 am
viewtopic.php?t=568791
What can they offer in the DAW world? Look at the portfolio of both, and you tell me.
Thanks for asking.
The answer is, nothing new.
Neither Focusrite or Arturia are innovators.
They combine good ideas to produce consistently high-quality products, like many others do.
There is no evidence they can contribute anything new to DAWorld.
I know about the developers behind Bitwig, MuLab, Tracktion, Ableton, Reaper, S1, MetaSynth, Max, Dorico, even Composers Desktop Project.
They all have a track record of innovation.

I don't think another DAW is actually needed. Steve Reich uses Reason, Anna Meredith uses Ableton . . .
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

There are some hobbyists who prefer all in one package rather than choosing and purchasing gear one by one.
Their Scarlett Solo Studio is Gen3 now.
https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-inte ... olo-studio

For the time being they include Ableton Live Lite (8 Track Only) as a bundled DAW.
If Focusrite provides semi full featured DAW which only works with Focusrite interface, it can be a good choice for new comer.
Behringer U-PHORIA Studio + Behringer DAW should have similar situation.

Personally I don't want to see any new hosts because it slows down plugin developing :dog:

Michael L wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:28 am
wuworld wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:25 am
viewtopic.php?t=568791
Thanks for asking.
The answer is, nothing new.
Neither Focusrite or Arturia are innovators.
They combine good ideas to produce consistently high-quality products, like many others do.
There is no evidence they can contribute anything new to DAWorld.
I know about the developers behind Bitwig, MuLab, Tracktion, Ableton, Reaper, S1, MetaSynth, Max, Dorico, even Composers Desktop Project.
They all have a track record of innovation.

I don't think another DAW is actually needed. Steve Reich uses Reason, Anna Meredith uses Ableton . . .
Sounds like you are out of touch with modern workflow's and the benefits of the hardware, and what it can do with integrated software. Focusrite has purchased Adams, sequential etc. At this point I think they should buy a company who makes a DAW. They have the interfaces, pad controllers, keyboard controllers etc. It makes sense to add a DAW to the portfolio. A focusrite ecosystem with a DAW interface integration, Keyboards, pad controllers etc. Twice a better experience that just clicking with a mouse.

jlgrimes11 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:19 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:07 pm Biggest surprise is the lack of hardware ecosystem's companies are making with their DAW's. Presonus have done with Studio One, but don't know what Fender will do. Not a DAW, but Maschine/Komplete Kontrol had potential with Maschine's software. They dropped the ball with that.

Im guessing its a huge undertaking and different skillsets.

I would think Focusrite whose focus is mainly hardware would need a much different skillset having a DAW which requires much more coding skills as well as skills in GUI, workflow.

Arturia is already pretty busy with VSTs and hardware.

NI Maschine is a good example. It is pretty hard to compete against companies whose sole focus is DAWS. And it seems like they are already busy enough as it seems like many of their plugins arent keeping up with the latest standards most likely because they are so broadly focused.

Presonus is an outlier as it took them many years (and probably alot of money) to get Studio One going.

I think there will be more DAWS coming out in the future such as Behringer but it is a huge undertaking and I can see why companies are not just coming out with DAWS left and right.
Arturia does have a lot going on. I think Beatmaker 3, when it comes to mac, and pc will be popular for producers.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”