Could Record Be Resurrected From It's Death ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've still got my Propellerheads Record box sitting around, and it was once a standalone DAW albeit a trimmed down one. For many, a trimmed down DAW may be what they are looking for which is better than Audacity but not as complicated other DAWs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvPQcvIE8M
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

To get an answer to your question in the title (of which no further hint in the rest of your message) just get an XP pc from a thrift store with a working cd-rom drive, chances are it will run.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:01 pm To get an answer to your question in the title (of which no further hint in the rest of your message) just get an XP pc from a thrift store with a working cd-rom drive, chances are it will run.
You can still download it from Propellerheads old website and if you did buy it previously, you would have a serial number. But what I meant as a standalone product that could be given new life and as a free product.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

To answer the question in the thread title....no.

Move on. :arrow:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:20 pm I've still got my Propellerheads Record box sitting around, and it was once a standalone DAW albeit a trimmed down one. For many, a trimmed down DAW may be what they are looking for which is better than Audacity but not as complicated other DAWs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvPQcvIE8M
I doubt it as there are so many DAWS out (simple and complex).

Garageband, lite versions of bigger DAWS etc.

And most DAWS try to make simple DAW tasks simple. Its really just learning the programs.

I think Ableton does a good job keeping things simple for basic audio recording/mixing especially if staying in the Arrange View.

Is there something special about Record that isn't available in current DAWs?

EnGee wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:48 pm Is there something special about Record that isn't available in current DAWs?
Well it doesn't support 'VST Instruments' besides some basic devices and has an SSL Mixer and Rack environment.

What it provided was a refreshing change and an 'in the box' recording environment. In essence, it's like Studio One Prime with full recording and mixing facilities. If you had Reason, you could flesh out the features such as adding more instruments and effects, but it could be used standalone as well. Line 6 Amps were unique in being added for Record also.

Maybe for musicians that don't care about Midi and just want to record their hardware instruments! Maybe for free like Studio One Prime or Garage Band (although they still support Midi). I don't know man! I think there is no practical use for it unless someone wants to restrict him/herself with hardware instruments audio only and can't resist the Midi or/and the plugins world that is causing a distraction! Or maybe for nostalgic reason!

EnGee wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:34 pm Maybe for musicians that don't care about Midi and just want to record their hardware instruments! Maybe for free like Studio One Prime or Garage Band (although they still support Midi). I don't know man! I think there is no practical use for it unless someone wants to restrict him/herself with hardware instruments audio only and can't resist the Midi or/and the plugins world that is causing a distraction! Or maybe for nostalgic reason!
Record supports midi, and also automation. It's not purely audio recording.
It includes tools for comping together multiple takes into a single recording, and automatic timestretch when the tempo is changed.

Combinator: combines multiple modules into on, to create new instruments and effect chains
ID-8: a sample playback device featuring drums, pianos, bass, strings, etc.
MClass Equalizer: a four-band EQ
MClass Stereo Imager: a two band stereo imaging processor
MClass Compressor: single band compressor
MClass Maximizer: limiter device
Line 6 Guitar Amp: a virtual version of Line 6's guitar POD, emulating three guitar amplifiers and speaker cabinets
Line 6 Bass Amp: a virtual version of Line 6's bass POD, emulating two bass amplifiers and speaker cabinets
Neptune Pitch Correction & Voice Synth: a hybrid effect and instrument device for correcting pitch and adding synthesized harmonies
RV7000 Advanced Reverb: a reverb with nine reverb algorithms, including Small Space, Room, Hall, Arena, Plate, Spring, Echo, Multitap and Reverse
Scream 4 Distortion: a distortion module with ten different distortion models: Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz, Tube, Tape, Feedback, Modulate, Warp, Digital and Scream
DDL-1 Digital Delay Line: a simple delay effect
CF-101 Chorus/Flanger: a chorus and flanger effect

A new version was released on 25 August 2010. New features include Blocks, a non-linear sequencer mode for arranging and writing music, and the Neptune device, a pitch-editing tool and voice synth designed for vocals. Other features include: use of multiple USB keyboards, tap-tempo, and reverse audio.

I still have boxed versions of Reason 5 and Record. Record introduced codemeter and, IIRC, it was the first product that shipped with it. While I found record and reason refreshingly stable and productive at that time, I don't have much use for Record today. Reason 5, OTOTH, I still install on work laptops from time to time. It only required the CD for installation. While the 16:4 mixer sucks, I still find blocks and the Reason 5 sequencer to be really productive as a sketch pad. The only reason that I owned prior to 5 were the limited versions that shipped with hardware, I thought the pre-5 sequencer wasn't any better than anything else.

Oh, I thought it is only for audio recording! I thought it can make a minimalist audio recording DAW.
Well, in that case what's the point of it? I can't see any advantage over a current Reason Studio especially for a modern setup with a 4k or 2k 27" or so monitor.
Maybe for an old setup PC, but how many musicians still own old Windows XP machines with more than 10 years old!!

EnGee wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:14 am Oh, I thought it is only for audio recording! I thought it can make a minimalist audio recording DAW.
Well, in that case what's the point of it? I can't see any advantage over a current Reason Studio especially for a modern setup with a 4k or 2k 27" or so monitor.
Maybe for an old setup PC, but how many musicians still own old Windows XP machines with more than 10 years old!!
I had Reason 5 / Record Duo as it was called running on Windows 7 back in 2010 on my laptop. I've not read of anyone having problems running it on Windows 10, but I've yet to hear of anyone trying it. Normally you would run it at 1080P, but at 1440p, you do gain an advantage in that you see more of the SSL Mixer, albeit smaller in text size. I used to use a 27" IMac at work and tried Reason 5 on it vie a demo, and it looked pretty good SSL mixer wise. If you have Reason in some form already, then Record may not suite your needs, but there will be a large sector of creative people looking for alternatives to what is out there. If you have older hardware or into the retro scene, then these options should still exist.

An interesting discovery I've made is that I have Reason 11 Lite installed, which I got for free, but I use the Rack in my DAW anyway.

Using on virtual machine is also optional if CodeMeter allows it.
Simple mixing / recording software should not have serious performance issue with VM in recent computer.

BTW, does CodeMeter dongle allows license transfer to another dongle?
I think license is the first thing we need to save from disaster.

There will not be any/enough money made with resurrecting this. Too many alternatives and not worth the cost of support.

Anything past version 6 of Reason is Record. Basicly what props did was kill the original Reason code base and Record was the new version. They made the full transition in version 6. Reason + Record was just a stopgap. Their plan was to always transition fully to Record and drop the original Reason.

So it doesn’t make sense for them to resurrect something that still exists.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”