CLAP is a terrible name for a plugin format (and other general complaints about it)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

billcarroll wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:48 am
guitarzan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:04 am So, everybody realizes that clap is synonymous with gonorrhea and we’re going ahead with it anyway? Cool… I guess?
Honestly, who cares? At least everyone’s talking about it
Exactly! The first phase of the pandemic.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I agree, CRAP ( CReative Audio Plug-in API ) is a better name for it.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Future Ecological Creative Kernel EmulatoR

How about;
CRAP

It is a stupid name. They probably don’t call gonorrhea “clap” in Deutschland, but you should always check these things.

How about, UMP? Universal Music Plugin.

You’re welcome.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If we avoided every word that had a sexual connotation, I wouldn't be putting them on my inserts to fix my boxxy low end, I wouldn't be using side-chaining to get my bass pumping. I certainly wouldn't be correcting my subs or trying to apply more depth in my bottom end. My mixes would never need more width and I damn well wouldn't need more headroom (that one hertz) or need to get more of a wet sound. I would never get slapbacked or adjust a flat mix. My tube would never go soft, my toys would never have sound, my filters would never be fabulous, my audio would never be rigid.

If the connotaion of this name is foremost on your mind, I suggest you go into the privacy of your studio, set a comfortable threshold, enjoy a release and ride the waves. Just be careful, sometimes sugar bytes even after you've reached Valhalla.
Last edited by Scotty on Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:59 pm If we avoided every word that had a sexual connotation, I wouldn't be putting them on my inserts to fix my boxxy low end, I wouldn't be using side-chaining to get my bass pumping. I certainly wouldn't be correcting my subs or trying to apply more depth in my bottom end. My mixes would never need more width and I damn well wouldn't need more headroom (that one hertz) or need to get more of a wet sound. I would never get slapbacked or adjust a flat mix. My tube would never go soft, my toys would never have sound, my filters would never be fabulous, my audio would never be rigid.

If the connotaion of this name is foremost on your mind, I suggest you go into the privacy of your studio, set a comfortable threshold, enjoy a release and ride the waves. Just be careful, sometimes sugar bytes.
I mean, I could go for something like Whole-Plugger. I just would rather avoid things that result in itchiness and sores. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:59 pm If we avoided every word that had a sexual connotation, I wouldn't be putting them on my inserts to fix my boxxy low end, I wouldn't be using side-chaining to get my bass pumping. I certainly wouldn't be correcting my subs or trying to apply more depth in my bottom end. My mixes would never need more width and I damn well wouldn't need more headroom (that one hertz) or need to get more of a wet sound. I would never get slapbacked or adjust a flat mix. My tube would never go soft, my toys would never have sound, my filters would never be fabulous, my audio would never be rigid.

If the connotaion of this name is foremost on your mind, I suggest you go into the privacy of your studio, set a comfortable threshold, enjoy a release and ride the waves. Just be careful, sometimes sugar bytes.
pervert

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:34 pm

pervert
Dammit.

Agreed, and not too late to change the name... How about MuffSlut?

So, if I were to create a plug-in that would use the new format it would be a super-granular-reverb that makes even the most powerful computers grind to a halt,

is that a Slow Clap?

Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:59 pm If we avoided every word that had a sexual connotation
VST isn't a word.
AU isn't a word.
LV2 isn't a word.
AAX isn't a word.

Never mind that there's a difference between choosing a word that has an urban dictionary level of sexual connotation and one that has been in common usage for centuries that also happens to be a commonly used word in the audio production domain.
The clap is a very old slang term for a sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is said to come from the 13th-century French clapoire, or clapier in Modern French, meaning “rabbit hutch.” And rabbits, well, screw like rabbits.

Clapoire was extended as a term for “brothel,” where one might contract an STD, lending clapoire as a term for such an illness or the sores that come with it.

Clapoire is found in English as clap by the 1560s. Some people say it came from an (un-evidenced) medieval practice of clapping one’s genitalia with the hands or another object to reduce the pain of swelling and somehow cure the disease. Uh, OK. The clap then became commonly associated with US soldiers contracting STDs overseas during World Wars I and II.

By the early 17th century, clap could also used as a verb for giving someone a venereal disease (e.g. He clapped his late wife). This sense of the word largely dropped out by the 20th century.

In contemporary English, the clap most commonly refers to gonorrhea, but it can also be used to describe almost any STD that makes your nether regions burn.

well, this equine has expired and been whipped far too much.

but it serves a useful purpose
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”