Airwindows CONSOLE8: Mac/Windows/Linux/Pi AU/VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe I forgot to add that in the specific example above the reverb sub would only be a sub for that one particular channel send. In other words the channel out plugin on the sub would only affect the input which actually did not have the channel out plugin in the signal. I still think it makes sense. I mean it would be channel in > channel out > sub in > sub out afterall :help:

It's clear that I GENERALLY would not want to add an additional channel out plugin to subs that receive multiple channel outputs. Because then I would end up with channel in > channel out > channel out again > sub in > sub out which is obviously wrong.

Wrong Eq wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:31 pm Maybe I forgot to add that in the specific example above the reverb sub would only be a sub for that one particular channel send. In other words the channel out plugin on the sub would only affect the input which actually did not have the channel out plugin in the signal. I still think it makes sense. I mean it would be channel in > channel out > sub in > sub out afterall :help:
The thing to bear in mind is this: the reason it's a bit fussy about using exactly one of each plugin, is because they make up a composite lowpass filter at 24k that's quite sharp and high-order, and it does it by using a wide variety of Q factors at specific places in the system. They all add up to flat output, though the treble softening I have in there (dynamically sensitive) changes things quite a bit too. So the reason to use exactly those plugins is because it'll make the ultrasonic filtering more accurate.

Yeah, if the sub was just dedicated to that one channel, and you know you're skipping the channel out plugin, that does make sense in that context. It's just the sort of thing that normally wouldn't make any sense :)

Edit: nvm

I don't like the idea that console bus out has to be the last plugin even after the mastering chain. An additional clipper after my mastering limiter with a non adjustable dither and bit depth ? Absolute no go. A console ends at the mixing stage for me anyway. I like Airwindows designs but this , nope.

okay got some bad news, site has either broke or has been hacked, it is missing pages and downloading garbage files. I dunno if the downloads from the forum are clean but yeah. Can someone contact Chris?

Glitch Doctor wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 pm okay got some bad news, site has either broke or has been hacked, it is missing pages and downloading garbage files. I dunno if the downloads from the forum are clean but yeah. Can someone contact Chris?
send him a PM.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Might have been the update of WP Super Cache not playing well with non-updated Wordpress. They rolled out a new version which predictably is not welcome and messes with things, and so I'd had the plugins updated but had not updated to the new full WP version. I've now done that in hopes that straightens things out? It never stopped working or did anything strange for me, it's been fine all the way through from where I'm standing.

jinxtigr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:57 pm Might have been the update of WP Super Cache not playing well with non-updated Wordpress. They rolled out a new version which predictably is not welcome and messes with things, and so I'd had the plugins updated but had not updated to the new full WP version. I've now done that in hopes that straightens things out? It never stopped working or did anything strange for me, it's been fine all the way through from where I'm standing.
If I visit airwindows.com right now (on android phone or Linux laptop), the site doesn't open and some random 14kb .bz file gets downloaded.
www.cel10.com

There are better signatures out there.

dan_flash wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:07 pm
jinxtigr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:57 pm Might have been the update of WP Super Cache not playing well with non-updated Wordpress. They rolled out a new version which predictably is not welcome and messes with things, and so I'd had the plugins updated but had not updated to the new full WP version. I've now done that in hopes that straightens things out? It never stopped working or did anything strange for me, it's been fine all the way through from where I'm standing.
If I visit airwindows.com right now (on android phone or Linux laptop), the site doesn't open and some random 14kb .bz file gets downloaded.
That is what I'm experiencing on Firefox Windows 10, except some pages will load from a search engine while others spit out the Garbage files/data.

dan_flash wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:07 pm If I visit airwindows.com right now (on android phone or Linux laptop), the site doesn't open and some random 14kb .bz file gets downloaded.
On Edge (on my laptop) I get asked "what do you want to do with download.gz?" ...

I'm going over the site bit by bit in an FTP client and don't see anything unusual, and it's still loading and working fine from here (not hosted here, so I too am accessing an external site on the internet to work with it). This is definitely weird. I'll delete the cache again :)

edit: I've also got my security plugin working a bit harder now: saw a bunch of russian hacking coming in. Don't know why they would be trying to hurt specifically me: with a bit of luck I can straighten it out and go on as before. Remember, if bad people break my site there is still https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kua5r9 ... ins_Backup :)

edit edit: my DNS records are also still good, but all this seems to me very much like Russian hackers managed to spoof in bad DNS records in some places. I have no idea why, it's very dumb. Again, the real site and SSL layer and DNS records are okay, but the chain of computers between me and you looks like it got compromised somewhere. DNS records take time to propagate so if bad DNS info got fed in somewhere, it won't get fixed immediately. I have the mediafire so you have access to plugins even if something like this happens.

Yay for my patreon which is how I've managed to have for-pay wordpress security stuff, and SSL stuff, and separate DNS stuff, and the for-pay Mediafire account as backups. I have a bunch of you to thank for the fact that I've got fallback positions to take care of you in the event of getting attacked by freaking Russia of all things. Talk about ridiculous. Why are they even bothering? Whatever. If you're not able to get to the real site don't trust weird things that man-in-the-middle attacks give you :D

edit edit edit: how about now? There was a plausible reason that could've been happening and I wasn't seeing it, and the site was always OK: there's just no explanation for why it would've been working before and then suddenly not for no reason. And the hackers are still trying to do their thing, but that's normal being on the internet stuff, also not unusual. All better now?
Last edited by jinxtigr on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dip200 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 pm I don't like the idea that console bus out has to be the last plugin even after the mastering chain. An additional clipper after my mastering limiter with a non adjustable dither and bit depth ? Absolute no go. A console ends at the mixing stage for me anyway. I like Airwindows designs but this , nope.
Probably use Buss Out as the last plugin on the mix buss and then do more processing externally. That's what I will do if I ever use it.

Dip200 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 pm I don't like the idea that console bus out has to be the last plugin even after the mastering chain. An additional clipper after my mastering limiter with a non adjustable dither and bit depth ? Absolute no go. A console ends at the mixing stage for me anyway. I like Airwindows designs but this , nope.
You don't have to use BussOut, AFAIK. It's just ClipOnly2 + 24-bit dither (so essentially noise at -144dBFS or thereabouts).

ampetrosillo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:00 am
You don't have to use BussOut, AFAIK. It's just ClipOnly2 + 24-bit dither (so essentially noise at -144dBFS or thereabouts).
Confirm that you CAN technically leave off BussOut. The whole point of that is that it IS the mastering chain and I use it as such: when I do this stuff I'm looking for a final output stage that'll function that way, and I'm trying to get a particular result that definitely doesn't include the use of limiters. ampetrosillo's mostly correct. There's a touch of added fatness it also adds, but you could omit that too if you liked, it will do no harm to leave off.

If you wanted to be truly rigorous, include a biquad filter at exactly 24k (only if you're above 48k sample rate) with a Q of exactly 0.52110856 and you'll have replicated the other part of what it's doing, which is completing the distributed filtering so it's perfectly flat to 24k. The system uses a wide variety of Q values to come up with an overall high order Butterworth filter. Leaving off the final stage of 6 in this filtering will mean it's not QUITE working as intended, but leaving off one of the very low-Q stages is not going to make a huge difference.

Confirm that you can omit Console8BussOut… though I would note, if I'm not allowed to also specify mastering type peak control and wordlength reduction to 24 bit this raises questions like: why are you running a limiter and calling it a mastering limiter if you can't do mastering in the mix stage? Are you switching it off and sending a 32-bit file to a real mastering engineer? If so, yeah absolutely you can switch off Console8BussOut... but if your converters run 24 bit inputs, it would still be serving your purposes while you mix, and if you're making 24 bit files you gotta dither that somehow or other.

ClipOnly2's pretty specific. If you're not boosting in Console8BussOut, ClipOnly2 will never do anything: the only samples it ever alters are clipped samples, it's NOT a softclip, it's out of the circuit unless it has something to do. The wordlength reduction to 24 bit output most definitely is active (it's not impossible that I'll be able to improve this but it's as good as I can get it right now) and it serves the purposes of converters that take in 24 bit words, and is part of the sound of the Console8 system. And yeah, omitting Console8BussOut will switch it off, and replacing it with a single biquad filter at 24k with Q of 0.52110856 will complete the ultrasonic filtering part but in a way where the mastering chain is entirely up to you :D

hmmm, to me the typical analog audio chain for a piece of music looks like this:

Analog Console Mix (Channels, Groups) >
Analog Console Bus ( Analog Console Bus In > FX like a Bus Compressor > Analog Console Bus Out >) >
Mastering Stage (various finetuning FX > Limiter like Fabfilter L2) >
Final File

So I guess I have to agree with the criticism, the Airwindows Console Bus Out Plugin should be designed so that it gets placed before a final mastering chain. I had a look at it in plugin doctor and it does affect the dynamics like a soft clipper i.e. it potentially alters the result the mastering engineer achieved after fine tuning the dynamics his limiter.

Return to “Effects”