What do you think of the Deepmind 12?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think of the Deepmind 12 compared to, for example, a Minilogue XD?

The sequencer and arpeggiator part is not bad on the XD, but the Deepmind defends itself not badly either, on the other hand you have to dive more into the menus.

The XD, the polyphony not a bit tight to make evolving sequences?

Design, quality and reliability, what is Deepmind worth?

I had a Deepmind 12 for a while. It was easy to figure out, the build felt good. I had no complaint about it in that way. I did find the Osc's too basic and not flexible enough so I moved it on. I liked the 12 voices and what it does it does well.

Thank you for your response and review.

As you had the Deepmind, it is often criticized for not sounding fat, thick, rich.

Did you notice that too?

So understood, you no longer have Deepmind?

Did you replace it with another synth?

Trancer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm As you had the Deepmind, it is often criticized for not sounding fat, thick, rich.

Did you notice that too?
I think a lot of times, people focus on what something isn't rather than what it is. Sure, it does not have the raw quality of 2 VCO's. But how many synths have 12 voices of growling dual VCO's? And of course if one does, it will be far more expensive. If someone is looking for the raw tone of an analog monosynth, they will be disappointed with the DM12.

I think the Deepmind 12 sounds pretty good, not amazing, but pretty good. You can use unison to fatten sounds up. The FX are diverse and of good quality. Although not super characterful, it can do plenty of pleasing sounds and 12 voices is quite nice to have for pads and ep's and the like. I moved it on, not because I disliked it, but because useful studio space is limited and I want more capable synths and which I truly love the sound of filling that space.
Trancer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm So understood, you no longer have Deepmind?

It didn't happen right away, but the PolyBrute is what replaced the Deepmind 12.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:23 pm
Trancer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm As you had the Deepmind, it is often criticized for not sounding fat, thick, rich.

Did you notice that too?
I think a lot of times, people focus on what something isn't rather than what it is. Sure, it does not have the raw quality of 2 VCO's. But how many synths have 12 voices of growling dual VCO's? And of course if one does, it will be far more expensive. If someone is looking for the raw tone of an analog monosynth, they will be disappointed with the DM12.

I think the Deepmind 12 sounds pretty good, not amazing, but pretty good. You can use unison to fatten sounds up. The FX are diverse and of good quality. Although not super characterful, it can do plenty of pleasing sounds and 12 voices is quite nice to have for pads and ep's and the like. I moved it on, not because I disliked it, but because useful studio space is limited and I want more capable synths and which I truly love the sound of filling that space.
Trancer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm So understood, you no longer have Deepmind?

It didn't happen right away, but the PolyBrute is what replaced the Deepmind 12.
That’s my basic take on it as well. If money was tight, I’d have definitely kept it and have been happy with it, but money isn’t that tight and I found better things to fill that space. My two main complaints are that it had the worst PWM I’d ever heard from an analog synthesizer and the filter went from not enough resonance to distorted screaming with no real sweet spot.

Plugins have gotten so good, that you’d better bring something pretty special to the table, or off you go. I passed on the XD as well, too few voices and an annoying noise problem that seems to be coming from the display circuit. I heard it in a bunch of demos and it’s a known issue. I’d rather build a “Minilogue XD” in MSoundFactory than deal with hardware issues.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I was just thinking about DM12 D ... it was once 495£ & I missed the offer ... Anyway,
What would be a better synth or one offering more possibilities if one was to upgrade ???.. seeing that not many have built in effects.
Having Dreadbox Typhon now I really think its so much more fun to have a synth with effects that I now think I do not want to get one without some good effects ..maybe the Dreadbox Murmux 8-voice will be worth getting anyway for the character it'll offer.
Otherwise Waldorf IRIDIUM 16-Voice (wish it was 4 part)is the only one I can think I'd be interested in.. btw It has to be a desktop version as I have to manage some little space unfortunately & I already have Keylab 61 mk2 + keystep pro to control max of 4 units.

What would be your top 3 synths you would keep ? I've wavestate , crave,typhon - Had TI2,blofeld,jx-305(for fun),
thinking - DM12D, Korg m...XD 4voice( too little really ), Modwave. to mess around with up to 16 layers I use korg ex61...
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

I have a DM12D. I think it's a great synth. DeepMind started as a Juno-106 clone in the early design phases (and then evolved with a bunch of extra features and FX on top) so you have to keep that in mind. It's never going to sound "fat" like an OB-X or something because it was never designed to do that. That said, with Oscillator/Parameter Drift (similar to the Vintage Knob on OB6/P6) and 2X Unison it can sound pretty close to one of those VCO beasts. There are Youtube demos that accurately demonstrate the flexibility of the synth, from modern FX laden ambient and EDM tones to classic Juno pads and stabs, it's all there. Then again, you can get those sounds with something like V-Collection too so any hardware synth is more of an indulgence than a necessity these days.

AcrossTheSky wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:00 pm
What would be your top 3 synths you would keep ? I've wavestate , crave,typhon - Had TI2,blofeld,jx-305(for fun),
thinking - DM12D, Korg m...XD 4voice( too little really ), Modwave. to mess around with up to 16 layers I use korg ex61...
Deepmind 12D, Hydrasynth 49Key Version, Bass Station II would be the ones I'd miss the most. I'd miss them all though. So much fun and things to discover in these machines.

If you want a good demo of the deepmind 12, check GEOsynths in Youtube. He makes some really good sounds out of it. I've never had one myself and am not that interested in it due to various reasons such as it only having two osc types, saw and pwm.

I’ve never owned a DM12, but from the demos I’ve heard it sounds pretty great and seems to have a decent bang for your buck. My main poly synths are Prophet Rev2, Peak, Virus, and Minilogue XD and I don’t see how the DM12 would bring anything to the table that I don’t already have covered. If I was on a budget and my priority was to have one do-it-all analog poly, I would certainly consider it (and the Minilogue XD), but I’d personally recommend saving a little more and going with a Rev2 for its huge sweet spot, depth, and range of features.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

One thing DeepMind does a lot better than Rev2 are effects. So many different quality effects and routing possibilities, and you can target virtually any parameter from the Mod Matrix in order to modulate it with LFO's, velocity, aftertouch etc. So it's not something you can replicate by just slapping a Reverb on it in the DAW.
But yeah Rev2 is a lot more capable in terms of pure synthesis, as it should be considering the price difference.

Thank you very much for your answers and opinions.

The Rev 2 is a most interesting machine, more complete in terms of features.

The effects are very important to me and the fact that the Deepmind is perhaps less well equipped than the Rev 2 is not really a concern for me and my use.

effects, arpeggiator and sequencer fills the lack of Deepmind.

Also before the Rev 2 was around 1300 euros, here an increase of 500 euros.

Crisis or not, 1900 euros for the Rev 2 seems a bit excessive to me.

So the Deepmind seems like a good alternative and excellent value for money.

Since there are not many alternatives.

Polybrute, Sequential 6, price much higher still and for only 6 channels, therefore also excessive.

Personally I think it looks great on paper but I hate to use sliders on a synth (fine for mixers)

Not a big fan of the architecture, TBH. I'd rather get the Rev2, if you have the money. Or wait for the Behringer Pro-800. Not sure when that will see the light of day though.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:15 am Personally I think it looks great on paper but I hate to use sliders on a synth (fine for mixers)
Its all a matter of taste as I love the sliders on my Juno 6 which has no presets, because I can immediately see where I am, something that is harder to do with knobs.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”