Noise Engineering free and paid bundles - AAX, AU, VST3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a quick post as I don t see a lot of love for Noise Engineering's outstanding plugins...this is basilcay their very well respected Eurorack Modules in software. They look simple but are deceptively powerful with a great modulation section. Something really different and great sounding, I highly recommend giving the free ones a try and if you like them, Bundle 1 is great :tu:

FREE- Freequel Bundle: Sinc Vereor, Virt Vereor and Ruina

Sinc is basilcay a wavemorphing/wavefolding synth, Virt is pretty unique (additive/spectral etc) and Ruina is a very powerful multi distortion and wavefolder.

https://noiseengineering.us/products/th ... reor-ruina

Plugin Bundle 1 ($119)

Basimilus Iteritas is a parameterized drum synthesizer- think Nord Drum! I drop hlaf a dozen of these in a drum rack...so much cheaper than buying 6 Basimilus Iteritas hardware units!

Cursus Vereor is based on the hardware oscillator Cursus Iteritas, spectral-like controls over three different modes based on different conceptualizations of frequency: Fourier, which uses sine waves; Daubechies, using wavelets, and Walsh mode, using the Walsh transform!

Desmodus is a reverb and synthetic-tail generator designed for creating unearthly and potentially infinite spaces.

https://noiseengineering.us/products/plugin-pack-1
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Love their free plugins, great folks as well. Weirdly, I can't bring myself to buy the paid plugins, as if that might somehow convince me that I don't need to buy the HW units at some point. :lol:

*I do have have the Desmodus Versio though, super cool :tu:

Yes, there are a great little creative company and very worthy of support, the free plugins could easily have been sold, it was incredibly generous of them to give them away...they are the real deal. Basimilus Iteritas was worth the bundle price for me as you will never be hapy with just 1 of these and it killed my GAS for a Nord Drum so probably saved me money :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Interestingly, they actually started the modular community where I live as they introduced the few of us that were around at the time. I have 4 of their modules currently. :tu:

Surprised there isn't much more interest in this. I have the RE versions and they are fantastic.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I have been using the free bundle for a while and i'ts amazing (espacially for techno). I can't believe Ruina is free it's so unique and fun I could randomize for hours and never get bored.

Edit : I will get the paid bundle eventually only a matter of time
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

They probably aren't mentioned much because people are turned off by the hard to pronounce or read latin or latin-sounding names. Their naming conventions are simply not good marketing and the GUI's are an afterthought.

Am I going to remember whichever one is the drum plugin when they've all got names like that? No. So next time Noise Engineering is brought up, I need to jump the hurdle of figuring out which one of the weird names corresponds to the almost GUI-less the plugin I was mildly interested in last time they were mentioned, before even getting more info about the plugin, demoing, etc. I'm more likely to simply move on to the next plugin.

To some developers, pretentiousness is more important than selling a product. Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as they are okay with having lower sales.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 pm Am I going to remember whichever one is the drum plugin when they've all got names like that? No.
A whole lot of their modular customers must have a better memory than you then :lol:

To be fair, every once in a while somebody posts a complaint about the goofy Latin names. But there are a lot of obscure names out there and it's honestly not hard to remember what does what.

How you do remember what Vital is, or Aalto, or Omnisphere, or TAL-U-NO-LX, or CA2600, or Massive, or...? Synths have weird names that don't really reflect anything about their function. We manage to remember what's what most of the time anyway.
Last edited by foosnark on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 pm They probably aren't mentioned much because people are turned off by the hard to pronounce or read latin or latin-sounding names. Their naming conventions are simply not good marketing and the GUI's are an afterthought.
Yep. This is true for their hardware as well. Sorry, blasphemy I know, but I have several of their modules and I'm not really sold on much of anything of their design aesthetic.

I'm a big fan of their modules (almost have all of them and some doubles) and I'm very happy to finally have their plugins in VST available as well.
I think the GUI of the plugins should get some more attention though. They look awful, but sound amazing !

Of course you can tell which one the drum thing is, it's called after the maybe currently most popular eurorack drum module ;).

I have the bundle and the free bundle. Love both. Because they bring something different. The focus is laid differently thus you tend to get to different sounds. I'm completely fine with the UI, i actually think it looks kinda good prefer this from any 3d modeled synth everytime. Just turn the glowing down, it scales, you're good.

foosnark wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:04 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 pm Am I going to remember whichever one is the drum plugin when they've all got names like that? No.
A whole lot of their modular customers must have a better memory than you then :lol:

To be fair, every once in a while somebody posts a complaint about the goofy Latin names. But there are a lot of obscure names out there and it's honestly not hard to remember what does what.

How you do remember what Vital is, or Aalto, or Omnisphere, or TAL-U-NO-LX, or CA2600, or Massive, or...? Synths have weird names that don't really reflect anything about their function. We manage to remember what's what most of the time anyway.
You can make up excuses all you want, doesn't change reality. Their stuff would be more popular if they had better names and had real GUI's. I mean, I guess the other explanation is that it has nothing to do with marketing and they aren't mentioned very often due to pure merit, (i.e. the plugins aren't very good). I'm guessing the problem is marketing, not quality--feel free to disagree though.

The only example you gave above that makes sense is TAL-U-NO-LX. I personally ignored this plugin for several years because of the name. It would get mentioned and I'd think "wtf is that?". I didn't check it out/buy it until someone mentioned that it was a Juno emulation. The other examples are not weird/random/Latin. CA2600 would be not great if 2600 wasn't extremely, extremely well known in synth circles. The rest contain words or word fragments that I recognize, thus I have some sort of reference I can use to mentally categorize and differentiate these names, and more easily memorize them.

I find it strange that I even have to write any of this out, this is very basic and obvious. There's a reason why companies that sell lots of units and make lots of money (i.e. know how to market) almost universally try to give their products catchy, palatable, memorable names. This is super basic marketing 101 stuff, but I'm guessing this is going to turn into a long, completely unnecessary argument, eh?

The names are a bit cryptic and long winded but the GUI is completely strait forward like Valhalla stuff, everything is named conventionally and it has sliders and good visual feedback.. they are very easy to use and I really like the minimalist GUIs….personally I dislike virtual synths that try to look like hardware but sacrifice usability.

I suspect they are not as popular as other VSTs as they are more west coast and not a clone of a synths people recognise and lusted after….modular is not as popular as mainstream to start with and generally speaking a lot of the more interesting (but very different) synths don’t get a lot of attention…for example I thought newfangled audios Generate was the synth of the year, but it hardly got discussed on KVR….

briefcasemanx wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:39 am I find it strange that I even have to write any of this out, this is very basic and obvious. There's a reason why companies that sell lots of units and make lots of money (i.e. know how to market) almost universally try to give their products catchy, palatable, memorable names.
Loquelic Iteritas and Basimilus Iteritas Alter sold LOTS of units. They're one of the more successful small Eurorack companies.

Your personal preference for names is not a universal constant. I have seen a very small number of other people complain about them but I doubt it's hurting their sales any. I find the names easier to remember than Doepfer's bland model numbers, and easily just as distinctive as any other brand's names. They make as much sense as "Pamela's New Workout" or "Belgrad" or "Rainmaker" or "Kermit" or "Mangrove" or "Plaits," none of which I have any trouble remembering either.

And let's not forget that the max possible sales for a small audio company is not necessarily the optimum outcome. More sales may equal more support requests. Which may require more staff. That's not necessarily easy to integrate into the - inevitably somewhat-eccentric - environment of a small audio company.

Return to “Instruments”