CLAP is a terrible name for a plugin format (and other general complaints about it)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the same argument, repeatedly, serves nothing.

the thread in general, perhaps.

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm the same argument, repeatedly, serves nothing.

You're off topic mate. Go find one of the other threads that isn't a forum for complaints.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:07 pm

You're off topic mate.
its what i do :shrug:

:hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm the same argument, repeatedly, serves nothing.

yup..thats exactly what I meant
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

The Beaver changes name due to sexual connotation
https://www.ctvnews.ca/the-beaver-chang ... n-1.472975
In this day and age, in this multimedia universe, being clear about who you are and what it is you're selling is really important.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:13 pm
The Beaver changes name due to sexual connotation
https://www.ctvnews.ca/the-beaver-chang ... n-1.472975
In this day and age, in this multimedia universe, being clear about who you are and what it is you're selling is really important.
have beaver patrol changed theirs?

Hink wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 pm

i initially meant, i think we all know "the clap" is an std by now.

i get that the thread keeps it out of the proper thread.

i was just hoping for more "jokey" posts or even actual concerns, just not more std, because, you can have too much of stds. in a conversation i mean. i guess one is too many if youve got it.

Let's hope Bitwig Studio is never rebranded as CLINIC.

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:18 pm
Hink wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 pm

i initially meant, i think we all know "the clap" is an std by now.

i get that the thread keeps it out of the proper thread.

i was just hoping for more "jokey" posts or even actual concerns, just not more std, because, you can have too much of stds. in a conversation i mean. i guess one is too many if youve got it.
well for the jokes...what are yah waiting for? :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

seismic1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:24 pm Let's hope Bitwig Studio is never rebranded as CLINIC.
That would at least be funny. My god, I can't think of worse stewards for the name of something. BitWig is such a terrible name that it cost them my early business. Bad naming triggers perceptions of incompetence. They've since proved that they can write software, but still don't own a full license.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm
Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:59 pm If we avoided every word that had a sexual connotation
VST isn't a word.
AU isn't a word.
LV2 isn't a word.
AAX isn't a word.

Never mind that there's a difference between choosing a word that has an urban dictionary level of sexual connotation and one that has been in common usage for centuries that also happens to be a commonly used word in the audio production domain.
The clap is a very old slang term for a sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is said to come from the 13th-century French clapoire, or clapier in Modern French, meaning “rabbit hutch.” And rabbits, well, screw like rabbits.

Clapoire was extended as a term for “brothel,” where one might contract an STD, lending clapoire as a term for such an illness or the sores that come with it.

Clapoire is found in English as clap by the 1560s. Some people say it came from an (un-evidenced) medieval practice of clapping one’s genitalia with the hands or another object to reduce the pain of swelling and somehow cure the disease. Uh, OK. The clap then became commonly associated with US soldiers contracting STDs overseas during World Wars I and II.

By the early 17th century, clap could also used as a verb for giving someone a venereal disease (e.g. He clapped his late wife). This sense of the word largely dropped out by the 20th century.

In contemporary English, the clap most commonly refers to gonorrhea, but it can also be used to describe almost any STD that makes your nether regions burn.
Your preoccupation with slang words for VD is misplaced. Musicians know full well what a clap is, so does everyone who ever sat in an audience or anyone who has ever used a drum machine. There are so many more important things to lose sleep over than this acronym (an abbreviation that forms a word) . But knock yourself out dude. I'm going to go insert my dongle in the rear port of my computer. Right after I transmit sysex to my Virus and mount my hard drives. I might even show a bit of ankle when I do it. Oh, the scandal.

I was thinking of selling one of my synths... you have any place to put a minilogue? Asking for a friend. Nice rack by the way.

Scotty wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm Your preoccupation with slang words for VD is misplaced. Musicians know full well what a clap is, so does everyone who ever sat in an audience or anyone who has ever used a drum machine. There are so many more important things to lose sleep over than this acronym (an abbreviation that forms a word) .
So now knowing what a word is has become the standard?

I'm not any more "preoccupied" with it than you are. You stepped into this thread with your ill-thought arguments. Musicians know full well what a muff is and what slutz is as well. Neither of those, of course, are words commonly used to search for audio products.

Those of us who think it's a bad choice for a name are just saying that. We're not arguing that we don't know what the word means or that other terms make good names.

As far as acronyms go, it's not even a good choice there. My guess is that it's more of a backronym. Clever doesn't really communicate anything other than ego. Compare to VST or even AU.

I still get a little wet when someone says to put muffs on my ears

Scotty wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm Nice rack by the way.
Needs bigger knobs and tighten those nuts
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

melomood wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 am
Scotty wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm Nice rack by the way.
Needs bigger knobs and tighten those nuts
I'm still traumatized from the time my grade 6 classmate spelled BOOBIES on his calculator. I am pretty sure he wasn't referring to the sea bird either. Everyone laughed. The shame.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”